Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Fastest growing climbers

+5
AutumnDamask
Jac2
Ozeboy
maree
betsyw
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fastest growing climbers Empty Fastest growing climbers

Post by betsyw 20th July 2012, 08:05

Gee, I'm yakkity-yak this morning. Okay, last new thread for today, I promise

I'm looking around for a fast-climbing rose. Not one of the usual "Slow to start, but once it's estasblished it's wonderful" roses, but something that gets down to blooming and growing business the minute Spring comes.

In this one instance I don't care about scent (so much) , just pure speed. Colour not so important, either, although a strong colour would be best. Plant to be trained against a free-standing 6ft garden wall painted sort of a pale nougat/coffee colour. Good sun in Spring and Summer.

Any thoughts? Or should I just forget this pursuit and find something outside of roses? (Suggest anything in that line, too, please ;-)
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Fastest growing climbers Empty Re: Fastest growing climbers

Post by maree 20th July 2012, 08:43

Betsy you can yakkity-yak as much as you like , no probs , i like your yakkity-yak , funny but i am also on the same mission but for next year , a climber for a small arbour , i had Pierre de Ronstaad there Betsy , good rose , good colour , burgundy one , but alas no fragrance , you probably have it , but as with all the other no fragrance roses it got the heave ho ,actually two got the heave ho . I have heard that you can plant clematis with climbing roses and thats something i'd going to explore , but other than that , i have some some native climbers on a arch , that are good . Anybody out there ever grown climbing roses and clematis together , am i hijacking your post Betsy ?
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 20th July 2012, 08:59

Maree, what are those native climbers you're growing? But first, thank you for the PdR/Eden memory jog. I KNEW it was one I wanted, but somehow it always got shuffled to the back of the brain closet.

As for Clematis, all of them hate me. They register this repulsion by becoming dead. Every single one of the mimsey little critters, over the years. Suspect
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 20th July 2012, 17:58

You won't go past Mr Williams a Dijon Tea for fast growth. Have grown it here and can't make up my mind if it's a tall vigourous bush or a short climber. Will have to pay more attention next time. Could possibly have a climbing form also.
I had five 4 year old plants growing over a high pile of bricks, a rose growing friend liked them so much her husband, under instructions, dug the lot. I loved my Mr W. unfortunately now missing.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 21st July 2012, 13:14

Hi Betsy , been looking for the tags of the climbing natives , found one , Kennedia Macrophylla , spring flowering . My garden used to be all roses and perenialls with a vegie patch , i have rescaped it to attract more birds and fauna and now have a good mix of roses , camellias , natives , grasses , perenialls and vegies on a average suburban block , just as well its a small to medium house , now just got to find some room for a couple of chooks and small fruit trees . The roses probably will do better too in a much more varied garden ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 22nd July 2012, 20:31

Ozeboy wrote:You won't go past Mr Williams

Quite literally true. I haven't gone past Mr Williams in any of the rose catalogues/lists. Where can one actually buy this beast?

Is vigor/speed an attribute of all the Dijon teas? Could I make do with something like a Gloire de Dijon or other Dijon variety?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 23rd July 2012, 08:05

I might have a small one recently propagated, will look today and advise. I don't think you will find one anywhere as it is a found collecters rose from WA. I do have quite a few different varieties of these sent by a very good friend from SA. They comprise mainlyTea's that can't be identified precisely.They do have names with a question mark.

I have a lot of these plants here of which some are destined for Gary
(billnbear) as these have to be kept safe. Would be a shame to lose them once again. Also have a lot of found Polyantha's, some have very nice blooms and appear very healthy here.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 23rd July 2012, 10:06

Beasty, I made enquiries about fast growing climbers to cover an eight-meter long one-storey brick wall (new townhouse development right next to my driveway) early this year. I wrote to the grower asking which of my several possibles would be best for the job, and they came back with two or three climbing Papa Meilland, a repeat blooming rambler that would quickly cover this area as it grows to 6m square; and it has a great fragrance.
Unfortunately I can’t say how that is going, as there were some concerns with the body corporate next-door, re. securing a climbing structure on their wall.
Cheers, Jackie
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 23rd July 2012, 10:15

Wow, thank you all for options! Jackie - I love Beasty. My friends would nod in agreement.

Ozeboy, you seem to be the go-to guy for roses that are fabulous nobodies - the greats that never made it to glossy catalogues (no money in non-PBRs?).

I'm a definite buyer for the Sweet Chariots you may or may not have in the future, but I need a climber NOW, so save those precious Dijon teas for the serious Balinbears of this world.

BUT....Should anyone find a Secret Garden Hybrid Musk, I am ready with a BPay in a trice.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 23rd July 2012, 11:26

Most ramblers will be "quick off the mark".... Wink
In this thread I have pics of 'Wedding Day' 2 months after planting (Nov '10) and then a year later (Nov '11).
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ETA: If ramblers aren't your thing then I've found Mme Alfred Carriere to be pretty fast here. But, as always, location, location etc.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 23rd July 2012, 11:39

AutumnDamask, I think you have the answer that I can implement NOW. Adore Mme Al, she's always been a real tryer for me, under some really vile conditions, too. (like an earthquake in Seattle, where I roughly taped together her amputated canes - and they bonded! She also grew where the sun rarely shines). Was going to fall back on her as second resort to something new and entertaining. But old friends are the best friends, yeah...

That alluring Wedding Day.... I have been looking at this one because it keeps cropping up in favorable mentions all around the traps. Once blooming, but lotsa blooms when it's time. So now my plan is to incorporate both MAC and WD now into this wall thing. That's the plan, anyhow; we'll see how far along I get in putting it into action. Bit Mme Al for sure.

Last edited by betsyw on 23rd July 2012, 12:45; edited 1 time in total
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 23rd July 2012, 11:57

betsyw, there are so many here that are unknowns that rose groups have picked a name for but without DNA testing we can't be 100% sure.
This is one of the fasinating areas of Heritage Roses. So many old named roses in catalogues are not true to last century illustrations. This is brought about by honest mix ups or dishonest nurseries long gone selling a like rose under that name. I don't think history of any kind can be translated 100% accurate and over time the details become
more fuzzy.
To best demonstrate this is the rose called 'Mademoiselle de Sombreuil'
which I have grown for a few years seems correct but another rose called "Carlsruhe Maria Bruhn" has surfaced and is being described as the correct 'Mademoiselle de Sombreul'. I recently budded several CMB am looking forward to growing this rose. Did see it as a 2 year old plant growing well in a 15" pot and I'm very impressed.
One of my other quests was propagating roses for the national collection at Ruston's. While finding plants for this exercise I found a rose called 'Laurent Carle' which took 3 extended trips to get the right propagation cuttings from it. Recently I heard of this rose in a climbing form so will go to a lot of trouble to get this one also. These could be some of the last plants in Australia so are very valuable.
This should give you an idea of my Heritage Rose collection that I make available to others and am anxious to keep them alive and well in as many gardens as possible.

I breed and have some excellent HT's now out of PBR but appraciate the latest like Trevor Grants 'Governor Macquarie'. What an almost perfect bloom on this rose, it has everything.

Just thought I should let you know what I do here in retirement.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 23rd July 2012, 12:10

So much for the fishing in retirement, Bruce.....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 23rd July 2012, 12:41

Some retirement. Sounds more like a full-time career Cool It's fantastic that you are assuming pro-active guardianship and propagation of these otherwise dwindling or almost altogether lost specimens.

I imagine you might be in contact with the knowledgeable and also diplomatic Kim Rupert, a Gardenweb USA breeder and heritage expert. He has gently tried to sort out more than a few misnomers and confusions in the rose world. I read a thread of his (also in helpmefind) on some rose of interest recently - boy, were things tangled!
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 23rd July 2012, 13:32

Yes, Wedding Day is a once bloomer but by golly when she does....!! Bees *adore* her. And the hips are fantastic. The Satin Bower Birds have been feasting on them lately.
And for me (just a few hours north of you) Mme Alfred blooms all year (slows down in winter but they *are* there).

AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd July 2012, 17:37

Betsy, Kim. L. Rupert gets around to just about every forum(roses) going, even ours, he is a member here
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 23rd July 2012, 17:38

out of curosity, what is his username?
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd July 2012, 17:41

Kim Rupert
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 23rd July 2012, 17:43

Thanks
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd July 2012, 17:51

We aim to please
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 23rd July 2012, 18:00

roseman wrote:Kim Rupert
Guess we won't have to bring in the Navaho code talkers for that one. Cool
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 27th July 2012, 23:16

I found Alister Clark climbers to grow quickly. If you look on the search engine here for 'Some Alister Clark roses' it will show you the climbers I am talking about.
I have found Clematis to be tough plants, coming back after a fire, coming up after frosts and comming back after acidently being weeded out because the stalks blend in with the grass when I pulled out weeds around roses. I put the clematis right in beside the rose trunks so they get protection from the sun and I have found this works really well. They give a lovely display. My friend has some in her open garden too and they seem to always be in flower when I visit her - good value.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th July 2012, 00:53

Ahh Rosemeadow , you are just the person i was looking for , i am on the lookout for a small climber to go on a smallish arbour and a clematis to go with it . As i understand it , there are three types of clematis , do you know which one you planted and the name . I did plant two clematis , but they died , in the wrong spot i think , but i have read they go perfectly with climbing roses , thanks for any info
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 28th July 2012, 01:01

AutumnDamask , can i ask , how tall does Madame Alfred Pierre grow , i had a young plant growing , but it had to make way for a vegie patch , i did like it , how does it go for BS too , thanks
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 28th July 2012, 03:42

maree, I have a 'Guinee' to trial. Could be an option for you but I am not sure of it's health or growth speed, only time will tell. Look it up, being a Charles Mallerin bred rose it will have stacks of fragrance which suits your criteria.

Another breeder that concentrates on health is the Brownell's.
There's not many of their roses available in Aus but worthwhile to try any of theirs.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next