Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

My good news !

+10
Alee
Jennyq
The Estate
Carole
Meryl
AutumnDamask
OzRose
Rose-Anna
neptune
rosemeadow
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My good news ! Empty My good news !

Post by rosemeadow 13th March 2012, 23:20

I am selling my place to the coal mine consortuim at the moment and buying 5 acres in northern Tasmania at the same time. So I will be moving my roses to Tasmania this Winter. Now I will be able to put a bit of a rose order in too with Bruce and the rose nurseries ! Yipee !!!

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

My good news ! Empty Re: My good news !

Post by neptune 14th March 2012, 00:06

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hope your new endeavour works out well for you.... Dance
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose-Anna 14th March 2012, 00:18

Ooooh, that sounds so nice Very Happy Congrats & good luck Very Happy Now u need a new landscaper *lol*
Rose-Anna
Rose-Anna

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14th March 2012, 01:33

I'm so thrilled for you and the girls, Karen...I wish you all nothing but happiness in Tassie. A winter move...that's so soon! I'll miss you, even though it has been a year or so since we caught up. I can't wait to read of your new adventure...go boldly, my friend. :-)

Last edited by Jen on 14th March 2012, 01:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling gumby!)

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 14th March 2012, 02:36

Oh Karen , that sounds fantastic . I hope all goes smooth for you because you need a break.
Best wishes for the transition ; most times when I hear the national weather forecast , I'm thinking Tas. is the place to me too....
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 14th March 2012, 07:35

Oh wow! Congratulations!!
Hopefully it will be so much more relaxing down in Tassie for you. Smile Smile

Are you taking cuttings from your current roses?? (There's a lot there from what I recall in the pics...!)
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl 14th March 2012, 07:41

Any idea what the timetable is, Karen? If the move comes in winter, you can bareroot the lot and heel them in at the other end. An impossibly big task, I know, but then you do seem to manage the impossible in your garden. Congratulations!

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 14th March 2012, 07:52

Karen,
That is fantastic news cheers
Is there a house on on the block in Tassie?
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 14th March 2012, 08:59

Seems a lot of rose growers move to Tassie, perfect climate Smile

I wish you luck in your move , but you can have the Winters Shivering
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 14th March 2012, 10:51

Hi everyone ! It was so nice to to have all your happy posts for me, thankyou !!!

Neptune, your colourful moving pictures really made me smile.Thanks for the good wishes.

Rose-Anna, its nice to meet you ! I like your posting name, and your rose photo. Is it Madame White Cochet or is it some nice white Hybred Tea ? That landscaping job has already be filled by me, *lol*, though a professional landscaper would laugh at my attempts.

Jenny, how nice to see you here. We are not leaving permanently till my older girls go to University or have a gap year. There will be one more year here before we have to leave and then 5 years working on a property with my dogs to pay for our rent in a old house some where local enough so the girls can continue their schooling at Gulgong and visit with their Dad on the weekends. Thats the plan and hopefully I can line this up somewhere and then my dogs and I will have the work we like.
Meanwhile my home loan will be totally paid out and I will own the place in Tasmania. That will be so fantastic but I will put that same amout away so I can save for the future linning of our new shed and house. The reason I agree to sell is because I asked if I could take the house and they said I could. That makes it a fair deal I reckon. It will cost $7,000 or more to pull it down by the people who built it, $12,000 to ship it down which includes buying a container for it, $10,000 to have it put up again, and then roughly $10,000 to have it put up again. But to have another one rebuilt now I was told you wouldn't have much change out of $100,00.
Molong Sheepdog Trial is nearly here again, could I come visit again, maybe on a Wednesday evening ? I will ring you.

Hi OzRose, thanks for your good wishes. Yes it will be good not to worry anymore about the mines being near us in the future. Thats one reason I want to go to Tasmania, for the milder climate. Though it has been mild here recently, but that will change sooner or latter.
Got to go for a hour or so, I will add more soon.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 14th March 2012, 10:59

It sounds like you are well organised Karen Roses
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 14th March 2012, 12:59

I ran out of time before to comment on all your posts. I have been thinking I could afford to buy another small acreage near Mudgee to live on till my older girls are finnished Year 12. Put my house on it and hopefully sell it and make enough to pay out my loan then and have enough to buy a kit cabin down in Tasmania when we permanently move down. But the very lovely 4 and a bit acres on Queen Pinche's Rd we looked at on the weekend does not have a building entitlement and I wouldn't be able to get one for it, so we had to forget that one. It had beautiful views of the creek beside it and of the mountain across from it, and was on level ground once you got in off the sealed road.
I will keep on the look out but I doubt there would be anything
available in the 10 weeks, the way things are for realestate in the area now. Which is probably better anyway for my future. If I can line up a job on a property, with a house, then I won't have the worry of reselling, paying two sets of rates or still paying a loan. I will have my new second hand car at the end of this week if it passes the blue slip, so I will be able to get out and have a search around and meet some graziers. I have been told that I was silly to buy in Tasmania first, but my heart was not here anymore eventhough I have to stay here. I wanted to buy down there before it goes up too much incase alot of people decide to move to Tasmania. I have one year here before my house needs to be moved.
The 5 acress I am buying down there was only $88,000, plus it has a very good 16 metre by 6 metre garage which we will make into a flat for visitors. The block is half cleared with slopping grassed area and the older half has thin tall trees. But you are allow to clear up to 2 hectares down there, so I would thin them out or clear some of it. I need room for a few sheep as well as my garden, and I don't know yet how far from the house I am allowed to grow my roses because of requirements needed to be set up for bush fires. The block has beautiful views of the farm across the road. There is a forest up the back of the property, and a creek at the bottom of the forest which I was told was steep, but the property is not too steep I believe.
I haven't seen the place yet as I didn't want to miss it because it was so cheap. The photos look good and I talked with a few people that know the block and they say it will be good for what I want, and there is no worry about getting a building entitlement as once the area was meant to be a town but it didn't eventuate, so it is still zoned residential. I was told that actually down there that if it is a bigger property you then have to prove that you are farming off it. Where as the small acreage I looked at here near Mudgee, it didn't have a building entitlement because in that area they wanting properties to be atleast 100 hectares. Therefore that makes it a expensive paddock for a horse or someone to put a tent or shack to stay in while they are getting away from city life, it was $70,000. I needed somewhere I could put a house and then be able to resell it quickly when the time was ready and make a profit.
Autumn Damask, Meryl, Carol and the Estate, thankyou for your good wishes and your excitement for me too ! I am going down on the boat to visit my future new place on the 17th of April for four days, with my three girls. We are allowed to camp on the block, in the shed. We can get a feel for it then and start designing how I should design my new garden. Also go see the authorities about the paper work etc. And hopefully visit Simon !
I will move all my roses down in however many tips necessary, heel in the ones I don't get planted the first time, they have 40 inches of rain yearly down there so once they are planted they should be right. It has very good red soil on the property. Anyone wanting cuttings or bud wood I can post to them if I don't get tooo busy, or anyone that wants to visit me, because I will have to cut them right back.
I live in Tasmania for 2 years when I was younger and I didn't find it too cold. Althought I know from our weather that it can vary from year to year or years to years. My time has ran out, the library is shutting, but I have talked enough !!!

Last edited by rosemeadow on 14th March 2012, 15:08; edited 1 time in total

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennyq 14th March 2012, 13:57

Congratulation on your move. Tassie is a lovely place to live, I moved here on my own five years ago from NSW and have no regrets at all, a much more relaxed lifestyle and very friendly people. And growing roses here is a real joy, your rose collection will grow like topsy Very Happy Dont forget to check the Tassie quarantine restrictions for the roses so you can get them in without problems. I look forward to reading more on all your moving plans.

Jennyq

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 14th March 2012, 14:58

Hi Jennyq, thanks ! And wecome to this forum, I am honoured that your first post was here. I look forward to meeting you in the future!
I am so excitted about this move. It will be our holiday home till we move permanently.
The people I am buying from sound very nice, and the Tasmanian people I have talked to on the phone have been very helpful. We loved our Tasmania holiday the Christmas before.
I had looked into the Tasmania quarratine restrictions a little while back. I was told to ring a man at Dubbo and he said he will fumigate them at Dubbo and then I will drive them to Tasmania. Now its happening for sure this Winter I will ring him again. I will do it tomorrow. Have been busy with the stuff I mentioned above and with solicitors, councils etc.
I will have to work out how to package them to keep the moisture in with out dilutting the fumigating stuff. I will get some thick black plastic and tape together into bags and have some big boxes. I will take my deep trailer and have also the the whole of the middle and back of the stationwagon.
I am glad the roses will grow like 'topsy' because I will have no water to water them in as there is no dam there yet.
Yes it will be a bit of saga moving them all and seeing how many survive. I have some bulbs and Iries to dig up and take. Also I have 8 younger Camillias that have grown well in the shade here, it will be good to spread them out more and let them really grow. I look forward to being able to buy more Clematises at the Clematis nursery at Shefield if it is still there. Also Peonies and all the other Periannal, annuals Hydrageas and Roderdegons (sorry, I can't spell ), put some more fruit trees in. Add to my bulbs, lots more Tulips etc.
Yes, I am very excitted and very happy.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 14th March 2012, 15:11

Karen,
You just sound so exited, like a kid in Willy Wonkers Chocolate Factory roflmao
I am so pleased it is all working out for you.
We will ring you today or tomorrow.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee 14th March 2012, 16:58

Karen, that is exiting news. Good for you. Best wishes and good luck.

Carole you are right about Karen. Smile

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 14th March 2012, 23:06

Thanks Alee, thanks for the good wishes and good luck. You are right too about Carol being right. A very good discription, Carol !!! I will have to add Delphiniums, Hollyhocks and Lupins to the chocolate list.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose-Anna 15th March 2012, 00:29

rosemeadow wrote:Hi everyone ! It was so nice to to have all your happy posts for me, thankyou !!!

Rose-Anna, its nice to meet you ! I like your posting name, and your rose photo. Is it Madame White Cochet or is it some nice white Hybred Tea ? That landscaping job has already be filled by me, *lol*, though a professional landscaper would laugh at my attempts.

Nice to meet you too Karen Smile Whatever you do as landscaping, as long as you are happy with the result, who cares what anyone else thinks Smile As long as it gives you joy and you get what you want, that is what is important Very Happy

My avatar is the new HT Pope John Paul II Smile Surprisingly good so far, fantastic roses with a beautiful perfume. Perhaps one to add to your new garden Wink
Rose-Anna
Rose-Anna

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 15th March 2012, 07:30

Yes Rose -Anna, I will certainly add that rose to my list !
I was very proud of my garden in Spring, there was a real depth to it when you saw it from the road. And it did look really good through the garden too, so it doesn't worry me how it looks now. Just got to recreate the good of my garden in Tasmania, spread out a bit more so each rose has more space and keep up with the mataining of it, when I get there full time, until then it just has to keep growing and I will have a mature garden to work on when I get there permanently.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 17th March 2012, 09:50

I have changed what I am buying in Tasmania. Now it will be 13.5 acres with a brick house, good flat soil, a small spring fed dam, nice views, half a hour to Launcestaun and ten minutes to Exeter. It is in the Tamar Vally. There is a stone fruit orchard just up the road a tiny bit, so it is good soil. A bit of water may lay in part of the paddock at times but I will hopeful put in another dam.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 17th March 2012, 16:46

I am relieved and very excited for you & the girls Karen. Well done for winning over the coal mines. I know it will be ver sad and hard to leave your current garden, but take it from me, you'll be happier in time, esp when your new garden starts to take shape.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 17th March 2012, 21:59

Best of luck Karen, haven't been very active due to computer problems.
I tried to talk you out of Tassie but now know it's your future.
Go well and best of luck.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 17th March 2012, 23:36

Thanks Rita and Bruce ! How lovely to have such Roserian friends.
Rita,there is no sadness now, just excitment for the future and good memories of the past. I will spread my garden out more in Tasmania. Having no ride on and all the rain causing the paspaleum to grow so thick and long is very depressing, I surpose the roses give some relief from the grass. I will be able to get a good second hand ride on in Tasmania.
Bruce, I surpose I knew Tasmania a little from the past and now I want to learn so much about it. From what I have seen on Google, it looks like I might have found a really good block of land for my family, dogs and roses. I will finally be able to buy some more roses off you this Winter.
I am sill going to take my steel barn house and gradually have it rebuilt and finnally fully linned. So one day when I live there permanently, there will be plenty of room for visitting Roserians or Kelpie enthusists.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 18th March 2012, 15:05

Karen,
That sounds like a fantastic place you are buying now.
Do you know much about the house ? like how many bedrooms.

Last edited by Carole on 19th March 2012, 23:52; edited 1 time in total
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb 18th March 2012, 20:30

Tassie is beautiful, I lived near Wynyard for about nine years, such a beautiful area, if only they could turn the thermostat up Shivering

That' where I first met and fell in love with Reine des Violettes love
lildeb
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next