Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Rose problems

5 posters

Go down

Rose problems Empty Rose problems

Post by Rose_lover1971 25th October 2011, 15:02

Hi all

This is the seconed year that i'm having trouble with some of my roses and would love to get some ideas/feedback from other members on how i can combat the problems.The first problem i'm having is stunted blooms,especially in the spring.I'm pretty sure it's thrip damage? but would love to hear what you think.The blooms fail to open propely and look scorched/burned around the edges as in the first pic. The seconed problem i'm having is Botrytis blight. I'm told that mancozeb plus is the way to go,just wondering what you think? would love any feedback you have
Cheers,Phil[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Rose_lover1971
Rose_lover1971

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Rose problems Empty Re: Rose problems

Post by Admin 25th October 2011, 17:35

The bottom picture looks like balling instead of botrytis, Phil. Has it been quite rainy there? When the petals become very wet and waterlogged and then exposed to strong sun, as you would experience out there in Coonabarabran, a lot of roses, especially those very double and thin petaled roses, will ball. This can lead to botryitis as it is perfect breeding ground for the fungus. The rose looks a bit like 'Nahema' and if so it is a prime candidate for balling in the wet.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 25th October 2011, 17:49

Phil, do you know the names of the 2 roses that you have posted. As Simon has said, one could be 'Nahema'. Some info on age, weather at time of picture, things like that do help. Are they this seasons pictures. Regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 25th October 2011, 20:14

Have you sprayed any glyphosate around the property? This could result in the stunted growth of the first pic, as for the 2nd pic, I agree, it looks like 'balling' as Simon has detected.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 25th October 2011, 20:34

The stunted flowers is something I often see here early in the season. I'm not sure, myself, what causes it. Sometimes I think it is due to a late frost burning buds and affecting their development. Sometimes I think it is insect damage. I've heard people say it can be due to over fertilising, but it can't be the cause here as I very rarely fertilise with anything except mulch/manure. I don't use round-up often here so it's not the cause here either. I've been trying to find out the cause myself and have come across something interesting. I don't know if we get an insect here in Australia called rose midge but in the U.S. it lays its eggs under the sepals and the grub hatches out and eats the petals under it causing distortion like this. I know thrip also cause similar damage as the adult and nymph feed inside the flower. I'm going to go with thrip damage on it too.

Last edited by Simon on 25th October 2011, 23:37; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 25th October 2011, 22:59

We get the same sort ofprblems in mid-late winter. The buds go funny and some of the new leaves are narrow and coloured reddy orange colour.

It does not affect all the roses and I have assumed it was thirps.

We just leave it and sometimes cut the affected branches. Any one else have this problem?
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose_lover1971 26th October 2011, 10:04

Hi all ,thanks for your feedback. I can tell you the pink rose is a climbing Cinderela though i'm not as certain on the red rose though i'm pretty sure it's an Avon. I found some thrips in the bud on the red rose when i opened it up though not many,maybe it doesnt take many to do the damage? I picked the cinderella by chance to take the pic of the botrytis but it seems to be bad on any of my light coloured roses from time to time with the tell tale little pink circles and then grey wilt. I've been careful to keep glyphosate well away from my roses. Good news is i sprayed the roses with rogor and then a follow up spray of confidor 4 days later and yesterday the flowers started to come Smile
Rose_lover1971
Rose_lover1971

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down