Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Clematis questions

+5
Dimity Cottage
AutumnDamask
Barbara B
Carole
miss nomer
9 posters

Go down

Clematis questions Empty Clematis questions

Post by miss nomer 4th October 2011, 10:28

So now I've got these clematis vines I've bought which I have not much clue about apart from what google can tell me.
My mother is who I usually go to for gardening advice. She suggested clematis to cover the fences and then I find out she has never grown it before. She wants to see how mine turn out! Rolling Eyes They must grow well here I've seen a few around the town.

I have Brother Cadfael to be trained against a fence and a Ville de Lyon clematis to grow next to it. How far apart should I plant them? And how much trellis space should I allow width ways?
Also would it work ok to plant clematis next to a pandorea vine ?

Cheers.
miss nomer
miss nomer

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-02

Back to top Go down

Clematis questions Empty Re: Clematis questions

Post by Carole 4th October 2011, 11:14

I think I can help here - well I hope I can.
A friend of Rosemeadows, Lynnette has fantastic ones growing round her verandas amonst climbing roses. She has wires strung along between the posts to train both plants along. They look wonderful. The roses give the Clematis support and allow them to trail there way along and the bed of all sorts of other plants underneath keep their roots cool.
Rosemeadow can tell you a lot more and maybe she has some pics of them at Lynnettes. I dont think we have.
We have a couple that we will be putting along our veranda. They like their heads in the sun but their feet kept cool. You can put mulch over the roots to keep them cool.
I think they would grow wonderfully along a fence.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 4th October 2011, 16:37

Hi,
I have clematis amongst my climbing roses on my rosewalk. They look great.
The only thing is that each year I'm tempted to cut the dead foliage and then I remember - DON'T - it sprouts out againnext season.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 4th October 2011, 19:24

A pandorea will take over your world... just a warning! You may need a machete - we do!! Personally, I would consider them too vigourous near roses or clematis. Chainsaw guy I've had to be ruthless before they detach the guttering... then the iron on the verandah....!!
(They do look spectacular though!)
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by miss nomer 5th October 2011, 11:06

Thanks I was wondering if the pandorea would swallow anything next to it. It is currently still a little thing but I have heard they can be quite vigorous. Hopefully is not too bad in part shade. I think I will keep the clematis with the roses then.
miss nomer
miss nomer

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 11th September 2013, 08:41

I am very interested in growing Clematis, but as it is pretty hot up here but no hotter than Adelaide I would suspect.
I can certainly give them some Roses on Trellises & Fences to travel through, but will they take over if successful. I can give them cool feet, & their heads in the sun. But what about the humidity & rain. I am up for trying them but as I have not grown them before does anyone have any suggestions on hardy varieties. I do grow other things in my Cottage Garden that others said I couldn't, so if it is not too much of a risk to outlay some money I will.
Happy Gardening. Clematis questions 3028820582
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 11th September 2013, 11:49

I don't know about the humidity, but remember their roots like to be cool but not soggy!! When you first plant your clematis, they like lots of water, but really good drainage.
Also sprinkle superphosphate on the surface of the soil st this time. When the clematis is established, feed with the same in Spring and again in June. They will love you for it!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 11th September 2013, 12:20

Thanks for the info. I will give them a go next year when I am ordering my new plants for the garden. I don't like to plant here to much after October. Also I am going into hospital in the next couple of weeks so don't need anymore plants for my husband to have to look after.
Cheers. flower
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 11th September 2013, 12:57

Good luck Dianne. Hey, .... buy a few new plants..... it will give your husband something to do!! LOL

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 11th September 2013, 13:08

Good luck and all the best for your hospital stay Dianne. I'm sure your beautiful garden is a healing force.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 11th September 2013, 13:36

Yes, my garden is so special to me as I have been quite ill for a few years on & off, I could not live without it or my wonderful husband who has his own business and works from home. Probably wishes sometimes that he was miles away when I just can't fill another watering can & call him with my plees. I am praying for rain today, as we have not seen any for at least 2 mths though I know others are undergoing worst conditions than us.
Thanks for your well wishes. Clematis questions 3406359304
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 11th September 2013, 19:26

I had a Pandorea and after only one year it was enormous , even with regular trimming , impossible to control , definately best for the forest floor , but a lovely looking plant , i pulled mine out just in time i think , this plant was seriously scary lol !!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 12th September 2013, 11:41

Regarding the cutting back of Clematis - I have found one that says cut back to ground level in Winter. Do some need cutting back and some not.
Barbara B you say you remind yourself not to cut the dead foliage off, does that mean you don't cut your Clematis back at all, or when do you.
I have ordered a book called 'The Rose and The Clematis Good Companions' by John Howells, got it at a great price. It should be lovely as I understand there are so many good pictures in it. So maybe I will get inspired.
Happy Gardening. Clematis questions 3224731277
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 16th September 2013, 17:55

What a Fabulous Book, the photos are just Beautiful and the information great. It even helps you with teaming up with colours. The author also has another 2 books. I will have to check them out. I would recommend this publication. Clematis questions 245876189
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 16th September 2013, 21:52

There are three groups of Clematis , and you prune them according to those groups , groups 1,2,3. I have just planted 2 group 3 clematis , and these ones you cut back every year , they are ideal with climbing roses as you can prune them both at the same time , they grow on new wood , the other two groups grow on old wood as i understand it . Your rose is best to be in the ground 12 months before you plant the clematis to let the roots establish as clematis have bigger roots than roses , leave some space between the two plants and train the clematis over to the rose with some sticks . I planted two a few years ago and thought they were dead and pulled them out only to read that they go dormant in the winter , lots to learn about these plants as the 3 groups can differ a lot ...
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 17th September 2013, 07:56

Thank You Maree, you have given me food for thought. I look forward to planting a couple next year, not sure if the weather will like them up here. I will keep the roots cool and keep my fingers crosses. Clematis questions 1303145595
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 17th September 2013, 19:37

We have never had any success except for the native one with the little white flowers. Tried putting rocks over the roots etc but I think it is just too humid for them up here.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 17th September 2013, 19:58

Thanks again Balinbear Clematis questions 3028820582
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage