Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Clematis

+4
silkyfizz
Balinbear
Barbara B
muscovyduckling
8 posters

Go down

Clematis Empty Clematis

Post by muscovyduckling 19th April 2015, 17:50

Well. Roses and clematis are supposed to go hand in hand. So this week I bought EIGHT clematis plants. I have five here, and three coming bare root in the post, and I'm very excited.

Have any RoseTalkers actually had any success with this combo?

I'm planning a few pairings. Mme Already Carriere will have Betty Corning (pale mauve blue) and Negritjanka (dark purple) to help her eat the water tank. Lamarque will have Jackmanii Superba (dark blue-purple) and Niobe (wine red) to assist with the west side of the house.

Edo Murasake (dark blue) and Alice Fisk (light blue) will go on my fence of pink roses with Olgae (non-climbing with blue bell flowers) scrambling around underneath.

And I bought one Montana variety called Mayleen, which is a fragrant pink spring bloomer, but it's very huge, and I haven't decided where to put her yet...

Last edited by muscovyduckling on 19th April 2015, 18:03; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Bloody spelling)
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Clematis Empty Re: Clematis

Post by Barbara B 19th April 2015, 19:25

Yes, I have clematis growing amongst my climbing roses. I have Niobe too and she's growing amongst Crepuscule. It looks great. I have a small flowering white one beside a climbing Maria Callas. I have a few light mauve ones too - they add to the roses. For your information, so do foxgloves. I have spires of white and dark pink and they look terrific come November.

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 19th April 2015, 19:29

Roses and Clematis look great together mumble grumble!!!!! Not in Queensland though more mumble grumble! Bloody things won't grow real well in the heat. even more mumble grumble!!!!!
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 19th April 2015, 20:23

Oh poor Gary! We will tease you with photos in spring. Payback is a b**** sometimes Smile

Barbara, I reckon Niobe and Crepuscule would look awesome together! Do you find the clems can take full hot sun? I'm wondering if they'll fry on a west facing wall.

And I love foxgloves too. I tried to grow some from seed last year and failed miserably. I will try again this year though.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 19th April 2015, 21:51

Of cause this has now become a challenge.

We do actually have a white one that covers a fence and a camellia hedge plus anything else that stand still long enough. If I had my way it would be gone but Lee likes it. She also just told me that a couple of people in her garden club that grow them fine so I will be investigating.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 19th April 2015, 23:10

Those clematis will look wonderful come spring Zoe. I only have one now, Nellie Moser, a gorgeous thing. Somehow I managed to kill Spirit of Poland, I think it was.
Barbara, I've found one punnet of foxgloves gave me future unlimited supplies by letting the spires run to seed and then shaking the stalk whereever I want them to grow. I've had a steady supply of plants ever since, they just seem to pop up and grow without any help from me. Only drawback is living with ratty looking stalks as they set seed.
I also like Russell Lupins for the spire affect too. Nice foliage too. Ditto with setting seed and seeing baby plants popping up.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th April 2015, 07:58

Hi Zoe at the Rare Plant Sale in Richmond NSW a couple of weeks ago we(Carole) purchased three, 'Blue Lights'. 'Josephine' and 'Madame Le Coultre' from Alameda Homestead Nursery, they are in Berwick, might be close to you and on your day off, what a way to spend it looking the farm where they are grown.

Here is their site,  http://ahn.com.au/
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 20th April 2015, 08:11

silkyfizz, I let my foxgloves seed too. Each year I threaten to turf them out of the rose beds, but each year I remember how good they look in November and I relent. I'd like to grow lupins. I've tried a couple of times in the past but no go here. I'll try again in our border plantings this time.

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 20th April 2015, 10:24

Do you guys mulch your beds? If so, what with. I've found nothing really seeds itself at my place and I think it's dUe to the woodchip mulch I've out down in the beds.

David, I got four of my clems yesterday from AHN too. You're right - they're not far from my place, but they also don't have some of the clems that I wanted, so I had to order a few from Clematis Cottage in Tassie. The good folks at AHN tend to focus on the hybrids - those really huge flowering group 2 clems, and I wanted some of the integrifolias and viticellas, so I couldn't get everything from there.

I hope your clems do well for you! Are you going to pair them with roses?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 20th April 2015, 10:44

Hehe Gary, sounds like a great challenge!

Which clems have you tried previously without success?

From my reading, you might have some luck with some of the slightly lesser known varieties. C. cirrhosa is a winter flowering clem in a pale yellow colour that originated in the Mediterranean and is supposed to do well in hot climates. The C. texensis group comes from Texas I believe, and go well in the hot weather. They are mostly pink bell shaped flowers and are very pretty. And the viticellas are supposed to do well in warm climates. There are LOTS of C. viticella types to choose from, in mostly purples and blues, and I know that Perle d'Azure grows well in Crete.

If I were you, I would go for the Group 3 pruning clems where you are (this is NOT the large flowered hybrids, which are group 2, and NOT the giant house-eater C. montana and C. armandii types, which are group 1). Group 3s include the viticellas, integrifolias, and texensis clems, and they are supposed to be pruned back to a set of strong buds in winter as they flower on new growth. So, theoretically (in my mind, anyway) if you hard prune this lot at the end of autumn, you could sort of force them into having a period of dormancy, even if it is warm, by removing all their leaves and growth, and they should work for you...

I know some folks in Perth strip all the leaves from their apples and pears in late autumn to sort of force a dormant period, which ensured that trees save enough energy through the winter to flower in spring. I hope this thEory can be applied to clems in QLD too.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 20th April 2015, 13:55

Aaah, clematis! I've dreamed of growing them with the noisettes here but have been put off by 'those in the know' (our local nurserypersons) who say they don't grow in Qld. After seeing your research, 'muscovy' I'm prepared to give group 3 a trial - always happy to go against the grain! Will now be busily looking up clematis growers on-line!
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 20th April 2015, 15:37

Go rosebud! Disclaimer: I didn't do a lot of looking into clematis for the tropics/subtropics coz I live in Melbourne. But I would be willing to back myself on this Smile

This place has the best range and prices:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Works out more economical to order a few though, due to postage... Ahem. Enabling? Not me!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 20th April 2015, 17:00

muscovyduckling, my clematis face north. As long as you keep their roots cool, they'll be OK. I mean really cool. I buried mine twice as deep as they recommend ands even then one took a while to get going - (I mean years) but then went OK.

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 20th April 2015, 17:36

Thanks, Muscovy - I will check out clematis cottage.
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 20th April 2015, 18:00

Thanks Barbara. It seems weird planting the so deep, but I guess I'll just have to do it.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 20th April 2015, 19:23

I also have deep redgum chip mulch and it doesn't stop the foxgloves from seeding freely everywhere.

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 21st April 2015, 06:35

Most of the reading I have done on the Clematis say it is good to have the root system kept cool, it is also mentioned in a lot of articles that a rock/brick to be placed on/around the root system, Barbara's idea of redgum mulch is doing the same as a rock, keeping the roots cool.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 21st April 2015, 18:31

Yeah, me too David. I'm just going to mulch them like the clappers and hope for the best.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 21st April 2015, 18:43

I would have thought that rock mulch of sorts would keep the heat in as they absorb the heat which is then slowly dissipated, hence the roots stay warm....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 21st April 2015, 21:35

I just pray that they servive our extremes of temps with any help we can give them LOL
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 21st April 2015, 22:48

I pray they survive my brown thumbs and forgetful watering schedule.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 21st April 2015, 22:59

I also forget to water.
In fact all plants in my garden have to servive me. LOL.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd April 2015, 10:43

Hahahaha, we'd make a good pair!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd April 2015, 13:11

Zoe, Carole is not joking, we have miles and miles of water, I think it is early dementia coming in her  lol!
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd April 2015, 13:24

Ooh, I see an extended stay in the doghouse in your future David!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down