Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

2 questions

5 posters

Go down

2 questions Empty 2 questions

Post by Guest 19th March 2009, 11:00

First I must apologise for my lack of contributions to this wonderful Forum ... sorry TasV, I've just had so much going on here, even went 'missing' from GE for a while Laughing

OK, my first question is .... has anyone bought roses from Mistydowns ?, if so, were they of good quality, the reason I ask is that I remember reading a post on ... I think it was the GardenWeb Forum, that someone had received an order from them and was not happy as to the quality ... as in they were thin 'spindly' plants.
I've been looking over their site and they have a wonderful selection of older roses ... if anyone has bought from them I would appreciate some feedback.

Second question ... is anyone growing any Alister Clark roses ?

Back to top Go down

2 questions Empty Re: 2 questions

Post by Ozeboy 19th March 2009, 19:16

Bulbinella, I did buy some of the end of season specials which appeared to very drought effected, Thin canes that appeared poorly grown though they had a few seasons that were very dry. Do happen to know of one person who sent their order back for a refund. Recently one of my plants from them has Mosaic Virus which when advised did not offer a new plant or any compensation.

They do offer a very large range which we can be thankful for so I think we should patronise them or this great range will go missing. Availability of water is a major problem in Australia so we should not be too hard on them or other nurseries growing Heritage Roses.

Yes, I do have a few Alister Clark roses which are very young. Lorraine Lee has done well for me so far and is very desease resistant.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20th March 2009, 12:48

yes, I believe the weather/drought has had quite an impact on many nurseries, I am just waiting to receive their catalogue and I think I will order from them as I'm thinking a bit on the lines of ... if you never, never go .... you'll never, never know Exclamation
Will add to this as to their condition when my order arrives.

Does your Lorraine Lee flower almost continuously ? I have read that she is very, very floriforous, so very generous with her flowering. I have never seen this rose in the flesh so to speak and would you believe I don't think I have ever seen a photo of her 'true' colouring, in every catalogue or book that she is in, her colour is always different.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the other Clark varieties you have ? I've found that they are not that easy to come by, some varieties more so than others.
I have the book 'Australian Roses' by Peter Cox, in it he has listed many varieties of Clark roses but unfortunately many have been lost and are no longer available, such a terrible shame Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 20th March 2009, 13:34

Hello Bulbinella,
I got quite alot of roses from Mistydowns some years ago and most of them were good except for one I can remember. I want to buy from Misty Downs this year.
Well said Ozeboy !
I have some youngish Alister Clarks - Gladsome, Lady Medalist, Kitty Kinnimoth, Mrs Hugh Dettman, Sunny South, Marjorie Palmer, Mrs Albert Nash, Sunlit and Lady Mann, if they are all still alive.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 21st March 2009, 00:04

It's the same as anywhere I think... I've got good roses and bad roses from most mailorder nurseries. Some of them come good whilst others never do. My Pink Grootendorst from one source could be classed as a 'failure to thrive' rose and I went through two plants of 'Heritage', from two different sources and they also were duds. My current 'Heritage' is from Misty Downs and it has been a real performer this year reaching nearly 2 meters high by almost a metre wide in its first season and it's been in almost constant flower. I'll be calling Misty Downs tomorrow actually because whilst I find their roses OK (some were virused but then I've got virused roses from other places too), I find their customer relations pretty oridnary. I've emailed them twice now and have got no replies yet. I've placed a decent order with them so the least they could do is respond to my questions.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21st March 2009, 17:09

rosemeadow wrote:
I have some youngish Alister Clarks - Gladsome, Lady Medalist, Kitty Kinnimoth, Mrs Hugh Dettman, Sunny South, Marjorie Palmer, Mrs Albert Nash, Sunlit and Lady Mann, if they are all still alive.

all fine roses .... but gosh, you ended that on a depressing note Crying or Very sad

Last year Hedgerow Roses had quite a few Clark roses listed in their catalogue, I did order some roses from them but unfortunately the Clark roses I wanted were sold out .... I'm hoping to get in early with an order this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 24th March 2009, 11:14

Bulbinella, I have the following AC's SOFTEE, LORRAINE LEE BUSH AND CLIMBER. BAXTER BEAUTY, CECILY LASCELLES and ARGOSY.

Some are small and untried here but the Lorraine Lee Climber has been very bloom productive in winter. It's having a spell at present but is growing very well despite no blooms.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 25th March 2009, 10:00

that's a lovely selection you've got there .... where did you manage to get Argosy from (if you don't mind me asking)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 25th March 2009, 10:09

" ARGOSY " Have a lot budded this season, could help with a plant for pick up or bare root winter 2010.

Cree, Deb Kelly, organised it for me.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 26th March 2009, 22:45

Nobody has mentioned Cherub. It is a single pink, once flowering, rambler. A fantastic show.
See it here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th March 2009, 23:01

I've ordered some Teas from Misty Downs this year and have 'Mrs. Harold Alston' and 'Sunny South' (Dee.. that cutting has taken I think and is making new leaves Thumbsup). Would like to try 'Lorraine Lee' but it was covered in Mildew when I saw it the second time in 2007 at Woolmers Estate (Remember 'Climbing Lorraine Lee' when we visited Woolmers Deirdre... it looked great... well it was pretty poorly looking when I took my Grand Mother to visit there later that year). Would also like to try 'Mrs. Alister Clark' and 'Flying Colours'.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 27th March 2009, 07:14

Simon, as I have mentioned previously Misty Downs come to Mudgee Field days, 3rd weekend in July. Missed last year as stock was was not good enough, as told by Noel(owner). Have been going through their "cat" online, has more to offer than he brings up. I might start correspondence with him now to see what out of my selections are good enough to bring with him. I could even get him to bring a plant the same as you are getting to compare size, yours posted, mine hand delivered.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 27th March 2009, 17:49

Agfest is coming up down here in May and they always visit here with a boat load of roses too... I'm taking my yera 8 classes to Agfest this year so will keep an eye out for them while I'm there. I've got the print version of the thier catalogue here. I'll scan it up and PM it through to you. I can't actually remember which roses I ordered from them Embarassed I placed the order months ago because I missed out last year. I know one was a persica hybrid called 'Euphrates' and I think 'Buff Beauty' was on the list as well as 'Safrano' and 'Lady Hillingdon'... but I can't remember for certain about those last three Rolling Eyes I don't remember getting a confirmation email either.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down