Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Pope John Paul

+2
Ozeboy
The Lazy Rosarian
6 posters

Go down

Pope John Paul Empty Pope John Paul

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th March 2011, 07:10

Mel, as you have this rose, can you give some information on it please.
How long have you had it.
Where did you purchase it.
Does it last long when cut and how is it's "pong"
The reason for the Qs, is I have been through Trealors 2011 Cat, they are promoting it as new release. I went to HMF and could not find any nurseries that sell it.

Does anyone else on the forum have it yet and the above Qs apply to those that might have it.
Regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Pope John Paul Empty Re: Pope John Paul

Post by Ozeboy 19th March 2011, 09:52

Swanes have it.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 19th March 2011, 11:37

Hi David

I bought this rose a few months ago and the place I had it in it wasn't doing real well, so I moved it around December, now it's starting to really get going and to be honest I didn't take notice how long the blooms lasted but they were on there for quite a while. It has more buds that are nearly ready to open to I will see how long this time. The fragrance is nice, but not overly heavy. The bush is small and young so I don't know if that makes a difference to smell.
The lady I got it off last year said she had got some early, and they wearn't due for release until this year. She's in Brisbane and I can give her number if you would like to ring her. Very lovely lady to talk too. I'm not sure where she got them from but as Ozeboy said it is a Swanes rose. I'll try to post some pics when I can.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th March 2011, 16:50

Sorry to all,I apologise, it was not, Treloars,but Swanes that released this year with all the medals it got, can some one help me how Mel got it before Christmas and "Swanes" are promoting as theirs best this years rose Am I missing something here or just old age. scratch
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 19th March 2011, 17:56

David might be old age but possibly all the Bobcat diesel fumes from pruning Seafoam.

I have noticed Swanes do a lot of wholesaling everywhere throughout Oz and may have sent early to Qld due to the climate.

Recently I tried to purchase a rose from them only to be told available next June. The same variety was available 1 klm up the road from them with Swanes labels attached.

They usually have all the PBR protected new releases on display at their rose show which was last weekend. Whether you grow vasing HT's or older garden roses this is a display not to be missed. Pope John Paul 11 was one of the feature roses. Proceeds from the sales will go to help needy people in Africa.

Unfortunatly it is a white rose that attracts hundreds of borer beetles in summer. It is such a nice rose would be worth the trouble for spring and autumn blooms.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 20th March 2011, 10:48

Yes I think that is the case but I will ask at the nursery next time I go there. She did have a supplier, but long story short, some of the firefighters she got were young and they weern't supposed to be, so she is getting some directly from Swanes instead this year and it is one of those I'm getting. Very Happy I'm not sure if PJP11 is coming directly through Swanes this year as well but she is definitly getting more in.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by MsMW 20th March 2011, 21:27

Hedgerow nursery also stock it as the rose Gardner in new farm park Brisbane showed JP2 last may. Was strikingly beautiful!

I jumped for joy when I found it in a drive by nursery going out to visit gamma...couldn't work out why the women at counter looked at me strangely until I got it home potted it watered it the re read the label:-
John F Kennedy....Sad whaaaaaaa

I can't read very well.

MsMW

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 22nd March 2011, 21:48

Oh dear! The label on PJPII is pretty big and it has a the Pic of the Pope in the right hand corner. Where abouts is Hedgegrow nursery if I may ask?
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22nd March 2011, 22:14

Hey Happy... check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are links to Hedgerow and lots of other mailorder rose nurseries here:

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 23rd March 2011, 08:43

Thanks Simon,
Here's a link to the roses nursery in Brisbane maybe you could put in your list for all the Brisbanites who may be interested. MsMw I believe there is still some PJP11 there ATM. Like I said she is getting more in. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 30th March 2011, 21:38

Just an update on PJPII. Dispite of some damage to the buds, one wasn't too bad and has opened up and so far has lasted a week and is still going strong. I have left it on the bush as I wanted to see how long it lasts. The smell is nice, sort of a lighter and fruiter version of firefighter. (Those who are more experienced with fragrance of roses may disagree). But thats the best I can describe it ATM.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by sonya 27th April 2011, 20:43

HI Im new to Rosetalk, but on this subject I do have this rose coming from Swanes early June and will be available if any one is really wanting it. I am located 2 hours south of brisbane and this is my 2nd yr retailing roses
sonya
sonya

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-04-20

http://www.greenwoodroses.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down