Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Anyone have 'Roundelay'?

3 posters

Go down

Anyone have 'Roundelay'? Empty Anyone have 'Roundelay'?

Post by Admin 14th August 2010, 23:09

It's available from Trewallyn but they don't post to Tas?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone have 'Roundelay'? Empty Re: Anyone have 'Roundelay'?

Post by Ozeboy 15th August 2010, 07:47

Simon, pity you didn't speak up last week. Could have added it to my order
which was one 'Carefree Wonder' which cost me $20 postage. Could have had 3 sent for the same postage cost.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15th August 2010, 10:59

If we can, Bruce, I reckon we should try and get hold of it. I've been reading about this rose for ages. Paul Barden says it's the only HT he grows (out of some 2500 different roses) that does not require spraying of any kind and that has a shrubby architecture being as wide as it is tall (about 4ft). It's parents are 'Charlotte Armstrong' and the famous 'Floradora' which gave rise to Mr Moore's equally famous 0-47-19 (and by the way I have about 6 OP 'Floradora' seedlings here from seed sent to me from the U.S. and at just a few weeks old there are a few that are showing extremely good vigour and health and about to flower already. I can see why this rose has played an important part in producing so many of the world's very best roses and I'm looking forward to using it and getting the material out to other interested people). This is the HMF link to 'Roundelay': [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . It is also reputed to be both pollen fertile and a good seed parent.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15th August 2010, 11:01

I might ring my Mum and have them post it there and from there have cuttings sent down here!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th August 2010, 12:55

Just made a check and found that they sell this one in the WA......now that saves a couple of hundred dollars in fumigation costs...... Very Happy
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 15th August 2010, 21:49

Simon, I looked it up on HMF when I saw you wanted it. Thought you would pick a healthy breeder. I will try for it local but if all else fails will order it from Trewallyn.
If you get it this season will look forward to your comments.

I have a red HT here that I have mentioned numerous times before because it is the toughest rose I have ever had and it's very fertile.
Have two open mated seedlings from it now and they appear as tough as their seed parent. The other breeder that is covered in hips is a pink.
Both were collected by accident. You couldn't go wrong with these.
Would you like some seeds this autumn?

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15th August 2010, 22:31

Bruce... I think Patricia Routley grows 'Roundelay'. Might be worth contacting her to source some budwood, especially if your grafting season appears to be starting already. I'm still a while of being able to graft but it won't be long. As you say, it's shaping up to be a good spring already.

Which bomb-proof red are you talking about? Don Juan or Fire Fighter? Seeds would be great!

How did that longicuspis go for you over winter? Check this out. When I planted this rose last year it was a tiny 30cm cutting with a single stem. This was it at the end of Autumn this year.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That's a span of 8-10ft easy. Not bad for 6 months growth hey.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 16th August 2010, 08:54

Simon, leave the 'Roundelay' with me and I will get it somewhere for you.

The red HT was sourced on the side of the road and I thought it was strong enough to grow in the middle of the road. This rare find I call 'Com Red' and best description is high centred, colour is between crimson and dark red, very slight fragrance and has very long vase and bush life. The bush is typical HT but is a tidy shape. If it gets slight Blackspot then that does not effect it at all. It's very fertile and seedlings grow very fast. If would be the perfect rose if it had more fragrance, tough as old boots.

The Pink I secured from Green E Plants which they call Rose Superba but it's not on HMF by that name. Klaus mentioned it was bred by a guy who did not register it so I just call it Rose Superba. I found it growing in his unused horse paddock and once again it's health was unbelieveable.
Blooms are mid pink, a little loose and not the usual HT style
They have about 4 acres of roses but the pink growing without care in the horse paddock was my choice based on it being covered in hips and so healthy. It is also very fertile.

I haven't tried breeding so far and don't know their chromosome count but am sure they are worthwhile as seed parents. Both these have very fast growing healthy open mated seedlings.

Don Juan is a very slow grower suitable for a small formal garden. Deep red HT form and most magnificent fragrance. Nearly half the blooms form hips.
It does get Blackspot but everything else is so good I forgive it's BS.
I am going to breed it this season as the Brindabella Bouquet pollen didn't work with it.

The Firefighter is not up to my expectations as it has proven to have everything except growth and I don't think it likes Australia. Swanes have a bed of them planted last spring and they are at a stand still. The wonderful ones I viewed the summer before must have been grown on steroids (Hydroponics) as they were just fantastic.

The Longicuspis is still in a 8" pot as I don't quite know where to release it.
I do know it will be a long way from a path or where I will brush up against it for its thorns are exactly as you described, viscious. It is due for release this month so will advise.

Will send you some seeds from the above and you form your own conclusions.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum