Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

4th of July

5 posters

Go down

4th of July Empty 4th of July

Post by Billndee 26th March 2010, 17:41

Love my 4th of July!
It is only a baby, down there with the pansies but it has repeated well in its first summer and I love it's strong colours.
I hope it grows nice and tall to cover the empty arch that is waiting over it's head.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Billndee on 26th March 2010, 17:45; edited 1 time in total

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

4th of July Empty Re: 4th of July

Post by Billndee 26th March 2010, 17:44

Don't you think the colours ar a little like Papageno Simon?
I am looking forward to getting a Papageno from you in the winter. I love these bright colours.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th March 2010, 19:32

Dee... 'Papageno and '4th of July' have a common ancestor in 'Stars n Stripes' and is the source of the stripes in both. Apparently, 'Stars n Stripes' grows like a miniature but is actually a climber ( confused ) and is able to produce striped climbers when used as a parent. I have used it as a parent this season but can't remember whether anything has taken (and I have a huge problem as I used paper tags and slugs found then and ate the surfaces off them removing all my writing... so I have lots of hips forming whose pollen parent will be unknown because of it Tantrum ) . I'd really like to try something like 'Roller Coaster' or 'Fourth of July' with pollen from 'Ebb Tide' to see if I can make a purple striped rose. I think I like 'Soaring Spirits' more than either 'Roller Coaster' or '4th of July' just because it seems healthier.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 26th March 2010, 21:34

I love the photos I see of Soaring Spirits Simon, but is it remontant? I have a feeling it is once flowering.
In regard to labeling, I am trying out an idea I saw in a nursery garden locally. All the roses had their names written on budding tape with a slim marker pen. Then the tape was tied to the plant.
I am using the idea with my cuttings. I write the name on the end of the tape, then break it off the reel with enough length to tie around the bundle of cuttings yet still be able to read the name.
I know you are not supposed to bundle cuttings because of root entanglement but my answer often is, "What roots?" as I throw away the dead sticks. But, to offset this potential problem of root entanglement I have staggered the ends of the cuttings in the bundle. So we will see how it goes.
I have a rose that I bought from the aforesaid nursery which has its name still quite readable after one year.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th March 2010, 21:53

I've tried that too Dee and it fades outside on the bush. The little jewlry tags I use for pollinations work well in larger bushes but closer to the ground the critters find them. Tried aluminium tags too. You just write on them with a normal ball-point pen and the impression lasts indefinately but it's no good to hang around pollinated flowers as the tag can't be too heavy. The string tags are perfect but the permanent marker isn't very permanent and fades and the slugs chew the surface off them.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley 27th March 2010, 17:09

What about clear contact over the paper tags? Kind of like laminating. Just a thought that came to me as I was reading.
Ripley
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 27th March 2010, 20:34

What brilliant colours Dee. I didn't know it was that bright.

Can't wait to see it up over that arch. Thumbsup

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 30th March 2010, 11:03

Billndee, I have stuck alot of bundles of cuttings in pots, then you just pull out the dead canes as they happen. The live ones are left and then I latter just was the sand off the cuttings and I never had trouble with the roots entangled. But the ownroots were only 3 mths or less when I repotted them on.
Your Fourth of July will be nice and cheerful over the archl. I have a young Stars and Stripes and I like seeing its blooms.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum