Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Many (25) pics... download warning

4 posters

Go down

Many (25) pics... download warning Empty Many (25) pics... download warning

Post by Admin 8th March 2010, 02:02

Seems everyone is taking photos at the moment. Even I got time today to get out and snap a few. Only taken with my little point-and-shoot though.. not the good camera.

Wild Rover
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Children's Rose (don't you wish you had smellavision Smile ).

Sweet Chariot

Summer Evening

Alice Amos

Starlight Rose

Popcorn

Pierre De Ronsard

Maurice Utrillo

My very own; Kindred Ice (soon to be renamed as 'Rose Tutu'... my daughter, Eliza, came up with this. It's both a play on words and descriptive. It plays on the 80's Aussie soft rock band 'Rose Tattoo' and it looks like little frilly ballerina's tutus Smile )

Just Joey

Hot Chocolate

Heritage

Golden Chersonese. Not meant to be out now... must be global warming Dunno

Flower Carpet Scarlet (love this rose)

Flower Carpet Red

First Gold. A florist's rose.

Comtesse de Labarthe. All mine always turn out white or nearly white Dunno

Christopher Marlowe

Champanger or, as I prefer, Antique Silk

Ann Endt

Altissimo x Euphrates hip! Very excited about this!!!

Altissimo (complete with little pollinating bag in the background)

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Many (25) pics... download warning Empty Re: Many (25) pics... download warning

Post by Guest 8th March 2010, 02:36

Great photos Simon! Very Happy

Wow! I might have to try "Sweet Chariot" again. Mine always had BS but the pic of yours makes me think it might be worthwhile giving it another go; it's a pretty little thing as is "Alice Amos" !!!

Eliza has done well Simon. "Rose Tutu" is a great name! I love this rose of yours!

"Just Joey" love

As mentioned earlier I am excited about your "Altissimo" x "Euphrates" too!

I think it's funny that I also use the very same bags (in varying colours) as you do Simon! I never saw them used by anyone else but the moment I found them I knew I was onto a winner! Hahaha...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th March 2010, 02:38

From Chicken Feed ($2 dollar shop lol) down here... can't beat em... I have about a bazillion of them affraid

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th March 2010, 02:43

Hahahaha I have lots of them too! I find them everywhere around my house & yard & in my car etc.

OK better load my dogs into the car & drive up to Mittaging for my 4 days away! I have been putting it off long enough & now that the rain has stopped I have no excuse! LOL

Keep enjoying the roses...

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 8th March 2010, 08:59

Simon, your Rose Tutu is such a pretty rose. How is it looking as a bush now ?.
I like the look of Star Light and Wild Rover. can you tell me about them. All you other photos were great , Just Joey, Altissimo, Sweet Chariot, Christopher Marlowe, Alice Amos, and Ann Endt being my favorites.
Is there a White version of Duchesse de Brabant ? Your one of it is certainly is white. Yes I had my once blooming roses bloom again for a bit. My weeper Excelsia had its best blooming yet.
I hope you have a good trip Damo. What type of dogs do you have ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th March 2010, 12:31

'Alice Amos' is not a good doer here for some reason. Maybe I just need to give it a few more years. It suffered lots of dieback and now has only one healthy stem... and even this is leafless at the moment. So much for polyantha health Rolling Eyes I was hoping it would be a much healthier plant than it appears to be (though to be fair it is gratfed onto Dr Phooey Suspect ... I will try and strike some cuttings of it and grow it own root to see how that goes... polys always seemt o go better on their own roots for me). Most polys do seem to do really well here so I was expecting good things. I have quite a few polys now ('Mrs Alston's Rose', 'The Fairy', Sweet Chariot', etc) and they all seem to be great doers.

'Wild Rover' is a relatively new release from Dickson in the UK. It is sold through Treloars. It is an amaxing rose down here. Always covered in flowers and it is THE best seed parent I've used this year. One of its parents is 'Rhapsody in Blue' (which I also have), however, 'Wild Rover' does not seem to have inherited 'RiB's dislike of the heat. I forget the other parent to 'Wild Rover', however, Mr Dickson did tell me and I added the information to 'Wild Rover's HMF page if you care to check it out.

'Starlight Rose' is a miniature being sold here as a fund raising rose for the Starlight Foundation. It seems to be pretty good so far and is also a great seed parent if you like splashing around modern rose pollen. I put a few species and OGR pollen on it and they failed. Every flower left unpollinated formed OP hips so my guess is that it loves modern tetraploid pollen.

There is a rose called 'White Duchesse de Brabant' (also known as 'Madame Joseph Schwartz': [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which is a seedling of 'Comtesse de Labarthe' and this IS available here in Australia, however, I did buy it as 'Duchesse De Brabant'... so who knows huh Dunno It behaves exactly as 'Comtesse de Labarthe' should and it is an excellent seed parent. I've used it extensively this year with pollen ranging from 'Abraham Darby' to 'Scabrosa'.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 8th March 2010, 16:50

Beautiful pics, Simon.
...and gorgeous roses.

Good name choice for Rose Tutu. Well done, Eliza

Tell me more about Ann Endt. I'm in love with Scabrosa and plan to buy one this season. How does Ann endt perform in comparison, foliage, disease resistance etc.?

I have a mystery rose that I thought was a groundcover, but it looks very much like Heritage. Can you describe heritage to me?

I would post some pics but I'm still struggling with the "copy" button . I keep having a little trial from time to time. i'll get it eventually! Hmmmm

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th March 2010, 19:03

Tell me more about Ann Endt. I'm in love with Scabrosa and plan to buy one this season. How does Ann endt perform in comparison, foliage, disease resistance etc.?

Hmmm... started well, grew fast, gets mildew prett bad, flowers don't last long and noticed today that the plant has collapsed in the middle, which was weird.. maybe it was all the rain we had recently. Kind of untidy growth after a while. Scabrosa is definately the pick of the two.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9th March 2010, 01:02

I hope you have a good trip Damo. What type of dogs do you have ?

Thanks Karen! It's going well so far...looked at lots of roses at nurseries today but have not bought any as yet! Tempted though...might buy Flower Carpet Scarlet if I can find it seeing as Simon likes it so much! It is the only one I don't have!

I have 2 Maltese X & a cattle X labrador & soon I am getting dog #4...a pug! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 9th March 2010, 21:42

Simon wrote:

Hmmm... started well, grew fast, gets mildew prett bad, flowers don't last long and noticed today that the plant has collapsed in the middle, which was weird.. maybe it was all the rain we had recently. Kind of untidy growth after a while. Scabrosa is definately the pick of the two.

Thanks Simon. I will buy Scabrosa.
btw...your Violette is doing well, and phylis de Bide is sending out long strong canes after flowering well. Also the cuttings from your double red groundcover are flowering now.

I also struck Leonardo da vinci, Just Joey and Sally Holmes, and all have flowered. An addict in the making? This is how novices like me get hooked, isn't it? Very Happy

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th March 2010, 23:09

No... you were well and truly hooked a long time ago Twisted Evil Consider us your pushers Temptation

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22nd March 2010, 16:42

Two I snapped today.. pretty proud of 'Monsieur Tillier'. This is my 'phoenix rose'; it rose from the ashes! The cuttings I put in looked good then died off above ground (pretty typical for me LOL). I left them (well.. more correctly forgot them Rolling Eyes) and from the base of one of the black stems, from below the ground, comes two or three little shoots. These little shoots keeps growing and growing and now the plant is 2ft tall and wide and starting to flower Cool Even going to try a late pollination on it with Rosa bracteata today I think.

'Comtesse de Labarthe' is trying to be pink for me... without a huge amount of success mind you Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22nd March 2010, 16:54

This is 'Rose Tutu' today (trying saying that quickly LOL). I nearly lost it a few months back because some heavy footed animal decided to tap dance on it and smash it to pieces. I dug it up (mid-summer) and mived it to a more secure location and it came back from just a few little stems to this. Pretty happy with this. All the pieces that broke off were struck and now i have a few more plants around in case anything else happens to the original plant.

Nice new leaves... note the leaf cutter bees handiwork Rolling Eyes

Older flower fade to almost white.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 27th March 2010, 06:34

Great photos Simon! And your hips are looking great too LOL!!
Good to see Monsieur Tillier in such fine form after his near-death experience... I've just put in some more cuttings.
Sorry I've been a bit slack here- have had a hectic round of 8 am lectures which finish just after Easter.

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down