Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

single rose

2 posters

Go down

single rose Empty single rose

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 26th December 2009, 16:22

What is required is a rose that is single and repeats through out the flowering season of spring to summer. Colour is not important, thorns not a problem, leaves would be nice. it will be placed in a garden that has visitors and grow over a large chook house and some very old dead tree trunks, if it is good it will get other homes to live in, help and suggestions needed
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

single rose Empty Re: single rose

Post by Admin 26th December 2009, 16:24

'Mermaid', or Rosa bracteata

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th December 2009, 16:27

I'll go for a walk right now and see if my bracteata is throwing up any 'pups' that I could send up.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 26th December 2009, 16:33

Carole, has just wet herself laughing as that is one I am not allowed to mention Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26th December 2009, 18:11

*shrugs* it's perfect for what you describe (though it may eat the chooks too Wink ). I checked bracteata and there are no more little ones coming up (must be on its way to being established). I have a little one in a pot but it is going to David Clark... 'Mermaid''s the go I reckon.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27th December 2009, 10:29

"Katie Pianto's Rose" aka "Balmain Rose" has few thorns; mainly spring-flowering but has autumn repeat. Pink & white.
For something not very tall; how about a combination of Altissimo (red climber)and Sally Holmes (creamy big shrub)?
All these grow from cuttings and you aren't likely to regret planting them (unlike R bracteata and Mermaid).
I forgot the Clark singles and semisingles; not too vigorous. For example Cicely Lascelles is excellent in my garden; Daydream is nice; if you can stand tomato-sauce-red there's Nancy Hayward.

Last edited by Margaret on 27th December 2009, 10:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 27th December 2009, 11:08

Altissimo isn't a very vigorous climber (the name is wishful thinking), Cicely Lascelles would be lovely... it's a climbing HT though so I don't imagine it would get large enough to cover a chook house and tree stumps at the same time (how thick do you want the cover... how big is the area... is it a rural farm block... You are not likely to regret planting bracteata or 'Mermaid' in the right setting like on a farm block where they can just grow and consume things like chook houses - neither of them produce suckers or runners unless the main plant dies or is removed... then roots will shoot... called persistant roots... once established they dont' sucker unless disturbed). 'Nancy Hayward would be awesome... on my wish list for sure... how good is its rebloom? I've heard it's mainly spring with the chance of scattered rebloom late in the season. How vigorous is the AC climbing HT; 'Ringlet'?

Others to consider: 'Bloomfield Courage' and 'Clair Matin'. What about 'Climbing Lorraine Lee' (not single though... nice blousy loose flowers though).

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down