Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

My First Ever Seedling :)

5 posters

Go down

My First Ever Seedling :) Empty My First Ever Seedling :)

Post by Admin 22nd December 2009, 00:27

I call this seedling 'The Ugly Duckling'. This is what it looked like a year ago:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is it today:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's still ugly because it's covered in powdery mildew Rolling Eyes

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

My First Ever Seedling :) Empty Re: My First Ever Seedling :)

Post by Dave 22nd December 2009, 05:06

...but a definite improvement! Keep it for a few more years if you've got the space, Simon, because unlike me, some of them improve with age. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 22nd December 2009, 05:07

See what I mean LOL

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22nd December 2009, 17:18

Dave... this seedling is from 2003 seeds... it must the Penfold's Grange Hermitage of roses then and will require some serious cellaring to get the best out of it Wink I keep this seedling purely because it was my first one... I stratified seed from an OP 'Black Velvet' hip back in 2003, it germinated in 2003, I grew it for a while and then went to Norfolk Island to teach and gave it to my grandmother who grew it in a pot until 2008. She sent it down here in the winter of 2008 and the first flower above was its first Tasmanian flower in the sumemr of 2008. The 2nd photo is it's second flush of flowers for 2009 and the best flowers it's produced yet. It's growing on its own roots though I think I am going ot graft it and send a plant back up to my Grandmother on the NSW Central Coast (where it came from) because she was particularly fond of it. Scent is light. Doesn't get much spot but is a mildew magnet (like it's mother). Grows to a little over a metre so far... growth is slow on its own roots... will be interesting to see what it does pushed along by an understock... it's still an ugly duckling though LOL

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley 22nd December 2009, 22:37

Those thorns are a lovely colour.
Ripley
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley 22nd December 2009, 22:41

Sorry about the double post but I just realised that by only saying that, it sounds like it has nothing else going for it, which isnt true. Its a very pretty colour and lovely shaped bud aswell....and still has lovely coloured thorns lol!
Ripley
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 24th December 2009, 23:41

It certainly went from being a ugly duckling to quite a nice swan. Maybe in a diffrerent climate it would't get mildrew.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20th September 2010, 16:14

howdy simon

whats the breeding of the ugly duckling?? would be interesting to know, looks like it tolerance to mildew is pretty low, a pity though the colour is very interesting

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20th September 2010, 16:47

This seedling, is about 7 years old now and has pretty ordinary mildew resistance. The only reason I keep it is for sentimental reasons as it was my first rose raised from seed. It's just an OP seedling of 'Black Velvet'. Given what's been through in the last few years I'm not surprised it has low immunity to mildew (though it seems to be pretty good against black spot)... I'm hoping that stability will now allow it to perform a little better. The plan is to try and bud it this year to see how it performs grafted but I have no plans for it except to grow old and look 'woolly'.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 20th September 2010, 18:49

Nice one Simon, almost Berg berg ?
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20th September 2010, 19:01

hi simon

i used black velvet in my breeding last spring, crossed it with sympathy and a dk red HT i bred called called arjuna, as you can see by the name i am a great fan of the mahabharata
cheers warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20th September 2010, 19:11

I don't know much about the Mahābhārata Warren, except having heard of the 4 basic principles of life; purpose, liberation, pleasure and action... or something along those lines. Philosophy is something that interests me greatly at the moment and I hope to someday have more time on my hands to be able to read more about it. You need to breed four more roses as call them Dharma, Artha, Kama, and Moksha... principles to live by Smile

Bemo, one of our international members here, uses 'Sympathy' a fair bit in his breeding and given its 'Kordesii' background I am thinking more and more about trying to get a plant myself to use. I think it could produce some excellent plants for Australia. Have you got any photos of this cross? Did it's propensity to mildew get 'cured' by the 'Kordesii' blood?

Last edited by Simon on 20th September 2010, 19:40; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20th September 2010, 19:36

the sympathy i have here never gets mildew or black spot, as for breeding, what i pollinated last spring, most have flowers , disease resistance is good , but most of all the vigour in the growth is unbelievable, one cross i did was with a HP archiducesse elizabeth de autrich, its first flower was bright pink very scented and had a petal count of 55, honestly i think it will produce top roses for this climate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum