Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Tuscany Superb - not

+2
Admin
Billndee
6 posters

Go down

Tuscany Superb - not Empty Tuscany Superb - not

Post by Billndee 15th November 2009, 21:09

Simon, I visited Lilia Wetherley's garden today. Lilia is a very nice lady and is still breeding new roses.
Her garden is an absolute riot of roses. Huge bushes, small bushes, most of them very mature.
I took my unknowns to her in the hope of some identification. She has two seedling roses that are very similar to my Vivid-like rose. She also has a number that David Ruston could not identify as well, so I now see the task of naming every rose is impossible.
Lilia did tell me though that the rose I have been calling Tuscany Superb is definitely not Tuscany Superb. So do what you like with the bush I gave you.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Tuscany Superb - not Empty Re: Tuscany Superb - not

Post by Admin 15th November 2009, 21:30

Hi Dee.

The rose you gave me is growing nicely, is healthy and about to flower. It will be planted out over the next few weeks once I clear more ground for roses Smile I think it's important not to throw roses away just because they are unknown. They were known at one point (unless they are self sown seedlings) and so are an important part of Australian rose history. Who knows... maybe one day we will know what they are. I have just read the abstract of an article that was about developing a DNA fingerprint database of known rose varieties for the purpose of identification. They were trying to evaluate various tests to choose one that was cheap, quick and reliable so if things go well then there could be a quick, easy and reliable method to ID found roses. If your rose remains unidentified maybe a study name could be given to it, for the purpose of identifying in future and recording where it was you found it. For instance, I found a Gallica/Damask/OGR growing in a field next on Don Rd in Don near the freeway bridge. I don't know what it is so I've been referring to it as "Don Rd Overpass Gallica" until I do know what it is.

On self-sown seedlings... I've always poo-hooed the idea of self-sown seedlings growing in a garden... until this year! I never thought it got cold enough here for the seeds to stratify properly. Last winter I trimmed all the hips off 'Heritage' and tossed them in the mulch around the plant and forgot about them. A few days ago I noticed a bunch of rose seedlings coming up around it so I guess there very well could be roses growing out there that ARE impossible to identify because they might be seedlings that do not appear on any official register anywhere in the world.

I'm almost able to take photos of my little grafted one too. It's shoot is now about 10cm long with leaves unfolding and expanding nicely. This one is 'Tuscany Superb'. Did Lilia say it could not be 'Tuscany' either? The two are quite similar.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 17th November 2009, 22:08

Lilia said my red rose was nothing like Tuscany Superb.
Actually Lilia has more seedling roses growing in ther garden than I have every seen. Just about every rose i asked for its name was a seedling. And they were huge. Really big bushes.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th November 2009, 12:23

Here's a photo of a leaf from my little 'Tuscany Superb':

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here's some photos of the unknown OGR you gave me Dee:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge 28th November 2009, 15:51

Ok, i've just worked it out !! Growing roses is like picking a woman up at a night club.....you don't need to know her name,as long as you enjoy her company !!! lol!
wedge
wedge

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th November 2009, 16:30

I like to know their names so I know how they will breed What a Face that was too far.. I apologise...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 28th November 2009, 22:23

The leaf in both of your photos looks the same to me.
Your little Tuscany Surperb, is that grown from the cuttings I send you from Lynette's garden ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th November 2009, 22:28

Sure is Karen Smile I started losing all the cuttings (going black from the base up) so in desparation I did a few grafts... and this one took. It's about 15-20cm tall so far and will spend the next year or so in a large pot till it beefs up a bit.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 28th November 2009, 22:47

That is great Simon.
I am not so wrapped up in own roots now. They are fantastic if you can keep them mulched and well watered, but if you have alot of rose plants to keep watered and it is very dry and you haven't put your mulch around early enough, I would take the long rooted grated rose instead now.
Your Pax are going well, that is the ones I put outside are ( had shade cloth over them for a while ), the one I put in the shade house in a pot died. I don't know why.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th November 2009, 22:53

You know what I'm thinking our unknown rose is Dee.... it looks like Rosa gallica ''Officinalis' ('Apothecary's Rose' - see: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 29th November 2009, 08:50

Hi,
The Apothecary's Rose doesn't have any white veining in the centre in the photos on HelpMeFind.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th November 2009, 09:17

These ones do:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 29th November 2009, 09:39

Hi,
not as much white and I don't think they have as many petals either.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th November 2009, 18:38

I'm not so worried about these features, as they are highly variable features that can change with the season and location. The thing that has me doubting the ID of officianalis is the leaf. The leaf of Dee's rose is rather smooth without depressed veins Dunno As Lilia said it's nothing like Tuscany (or Tuscany SUperb) because they are much much darker. This one, however, produces loads and loads of pollen and I've started spreading it around.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 23rd December 2009, 22:24

Dee... I've got it!!!! This Gallica of yours isn't 'Tusacany Superb'... It's 'Tuscany'! Check out this link on HMF and compare it to my photo above... it's an absolute match Cool

Link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The origin of 'Tuscany Superb' is not known exactly... some say it's a seedling of 'Tuscany' and others say it is a sport of 'Tuscany'... either way it's a beautiful rose. I have 'Tuscany Superb' from Karen growing on nicely now and will plant it out this coming winter and I think I'll put the two of them side-by-side to get a better idea of the differences... I've used your 'Tuscany' in a whole stack of crosses this year too Dee... can't wait to see if anything good comes out of it Thumbsup

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 27th December 2009, 22:04

Thanks Simon. I had a visit from the members of the Heritage Rose Society and they opined that my red unknown gallica, the same as I gave you is Tuscany. So you have verified it. Thankyou.
I don't think I will keep the other rose.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 27th December 2009, 22:07

Which other one Dee?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 27th December 2009, 23:10

When I visited Entally House recently I had a look at Tuscany Superb. It looked very close to Tuscany except I thought it was a darker red. A nice rose.
I'm pleased you are up and away with Tuscany Simon, i will be very interested to see what you get out of it.
I have another gallica that is more pink than Tuscany but similar otherwise. One visitor thought it could be Officinalis but it has more white in it then the examples in HMF. Its leaves have a strange mildew.
What do you think?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 28th December 2009, 07:01

Dee, I am going to put my foot in my mouth here and in my opinion, the rose in the 3 shots does not have the dreaded black spot. When I was at the rose farm we had a couple that grew the same as your leaf appears. I will have to go through the catalogues and try to find it. By then some other member might have found the answer, i will get back as soon as possible.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th December 2009, 10:37

I've heard it called Damask Smut before... seems to be an issue with some of the OGR leaves of this sort... from what I can tell its a form of powdery mildew... 'Leda' gets it as well.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 31st December 2009, 12:36

wedge wrote:Ok, i've just worked it out !! Growing roses is like picking a woman up at a night club.....you don't need to know her name,as long as you enjoy her company !!! lol!
Yeh, the nameless ones can be fun love but you are on a surer bet for the future if you know that she comes from a good family! Innocent
Laughing

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down