Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

New seedling growth.

5 posters

Go down

New seedling growth. Empty New seedling growth.

Post by Ozeboy 1st November 2009, 22:57

The new seedlings winterised over this winter germinated early September, middle of last month were about 3" tall. This seems like very good growth compared to last year.

Last year seedlings haven't grown much taller than 12" but this year so far have sent out new canes and filled out in diameter. Blooms are larger this season.

I suppose this is pretty common amoungst all the members raising seedlings over many years but need to know if this growth is considered OK. Must mention I am only raising a few seeds so far to get my skills up.

Currently I am studying Species and the roses that have come from them together with chromosome counts etc with a view to aquiring a few worthwhile breeders.

Simon I have "Edna Walling" a Multiflora hybrid budded last April and growth has been very good, definately looks a lot like my Pink Multiflora with larger blooms. Very healthy so far. The Longicuspis ( Spelling ) is going really well, what's it's ancestory. Will I need a larger chain saw and chain male suit?

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

New seedling growth. Empty Re: New seedling growth.

Post by Admin 1st November 2009, 23:18

G'Day Bruce,

The longicuspis is a species rose from the warm, regions of China. It is a thorny customer that will reach the size of a good laevigata... so don't plant it anywhere it can't spread out... or can grab passers-by. It will grow quickly once in the ground. Mine went from a 30cm cutting to throw out 4-5ft canes in the first year. It develops enormous leaves, at least the span of a man's hand, and also sets masses of hips... it is self-fertile which is not a common trait in species roses that have often evolved anti-selfing mechanisms/strategies. Our blackspot pressure down here seems to be abnormally aggressive... and so far longicuspis has been immune whilst species such as wichurana have fallen foul of the spot. I have a batch of OP longicuspis seeds in at the moment but have, as yet, had no luck germinating them. I have plans to mix this with gigantea and bracteata before spreading them over various Teas.

Regarding seedling growth... this year has been a good year for it. Mine are already 40cm or so tall and about to flower for the first time. I don't know whether it is just because it is a good season or because I have switched strategies to sow the seeds in 12" deep foam fruit boxes so they have a better root run. Growth of the hybrid rugosa has not been so vigorous. Only my polyantha and hybrid tea seedlings and the multiflora seedlings have been so vigorous this year. In the past I have not had such strong growth... although I have a feeling I can put this down to better parent selection... and the fact that I have chosen more than just miniatures are parents this time around.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 2nd November 2009, 00:30

There is a property in the district that has Bracteatae used as a hedge fence. Nothing would get through it except a bulldozer or Tank.
Definately would contain livestock and keep people out.
Bracteatae doesn't seem to have a lot of hybrids except "Mermaid" which is a real monster.
If you breed from this rose seems to me to be a long way back from there to end up with something really attractive.

I have found longicuspis listed as a Species but they claim it is most likely R mulliganni which is not totally hardy in the UK. Might be better in heat as it comes from China. It's all very interesting. Will keep you posted on longipuspis progress here in Sydney.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 2nd November 2009, 21:24

I can join this discussion because I have some seedling roses that were sown this spring. (she says proudly)
Mine are from the big bright red hips of The Temptress, a Kordes shrub rose I acquired lastyear. I sowed the seeds because the hips were there asking to be sown.
I have never tried to raise seedlings before and I am deeply ignorant of genetics and what goes with what but my little seedlings have grown all of 1 cm in their little punnets and look for all the world like little blackberry bushes that I weed out of the garden. (hmm, maybe I need to have a second look at those blackberry seedlings next time, they just might be new prize roses.)
My little seedlings have just sprouted their second leaves. I suppose I should be thinking of pottoing them on soon?

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2nd November 2009, 21:33

Excellent news Dee Thumbsup The more I read about 'The Temptress' the more I think I want to try it as a parent too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 2nd November 2009, 21:43

Dee you will be a parent again from your seedlings(offspring) Abracadabra you might be one of these
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 2nd November 2009, 22:46

I measured them properly and they are 5" tall now.
They went into the refrigerator as seeds July then taken out end of August and started to germinate beginning September and are from 3" to 5" tall now.

Simon, Bemo and Dave C you have spread the pollination and seed raising bug very well as most everyone on the forum is having a go.
Thanks, for I have found it very interesting and to date have had success.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2nd November 2009, 23:00

Bruce... I hope even more people will have a go too and even try pollinating... I get tired of hearing people say that roses are no good because they are disease ridden and sickly requiring pampering if they are to do well... IMO the concerted efforts of amateurs like us can result in excellent roses and by putting our collective heads together roses ideally suited to Australian conditions can be developed in much the same way as roses for India are being developed by Viru and like Alister Clark did in the past (if Alister Clark had of had the internet to assist him who knows how far he would have got!!!). The next issue I think I'll develop on here is culling and developing selection criteria and testing... I know of breeders in the U.S. who actually collect different strains of black spot to expose their seedlings to in an effort to evaluate how broad their disease resistance is. I don't think anything has been done in Australia to determine whether different strains of black spot exist here, as it does in other places around the world, but it is an interesting topic that I think everyone could benefit from. Rosa wichurana is used extensively in the U.S. but I don't know about any of you... but I find a lot of the wichurana hybrids to be very prone to black spot... especially at this time of year. I have the species wichurana here and it doesn't get black spot but the flower carpet roses do and so do the polys in my no-spray garden. I put this down to different strains of black spot being present here.

Anyway.. next issue on the agenda is culling... so get your thinking hats on!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo 3rd November 2009, 04:13

I'm looking forward to watch the 1st pics of the seedlings.
Cheers 'Merry'

Dee might also hoist the jolly Roger for her little 'corsairs'

breeding regards
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down