Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Bruce... Rosa Longicuspis

5 posters

Go down

Bruce... Rosa Longicuspis Empty Bruce... Rosa Longicuspis

Post by Admin 9th September 2009, 12:56

Hi Bruce,

I have a plant of 'Rosa longicuspis (possibly var. sinowilsonii according to Cass Bernstein) and I'm about to take the tip off the main leader of my young plant and was wondering if you'd like a few cuttings? It sets hips (I have some in the fridge now) and was used by Chris Warner in the U.S. to develop his patio roses. It's a warm climate rose, massive, thorny, single white flowers, once flowering, evergreen, quite disease proof here, super vigorous, and strikes easily from cuttings. I'm keen to spread it around and think it might be a good parent (both seed and pollen). If anyone else would like some cuttings just let me know. I have quite a lot of material but you will need a LOT of room (think laevigata amounts of room). I have mine planted in the chook run so that they can run under and hide when eagles/hawks fly over (this is why I'm tipping it... to try and get it to branch out more).

This is from HMF:
Book (1 May 2003)

Rosa longicuspis Bertoloni
Shrubs usually evergreen, climbing or scrambling, 1.5–6 m tall. Branchlets purple-brown; prickles sparse or scattered, curved, to 5 mm, stout, flat, gradually tapering to a broad base. Leaves including petiole 7–14 cm; stipules... often glandular-pubescent; rachis and petiole glabrous, with a few hooked prickles; leaflets 5–9... 3–7(–11) × 1–3.5(–5) cm, leathery, both surfaces glabrous, abaxially with prominent midvein, adaxially shiny, rugose or not.... Flowers numerous, in corymb... pedicel... sparsely pubescent, densely glandular-pubescent; bracts... margin glandular-pubescent. Hypanthium ... sparsely pubescent and glandular-pubescent. Sepals ...intermixed with glandular hairs, margin entire or few pinnately lobed... Petals 5, fragrant, white or creamy-white... Styles connate into column, exserted, slightly longer than stamens, pubescent. Hip dark red, obovoid... glabrous; sepals reflexed, deciduous at hip ripening. ...
...Guizhou Sichuan, Yunnan [N India].
One of us (Robertson) would prefer not to recognize varieties in this species, and notes that the distinguishing characters given below are not those used by Rehder (Man. Cult. Trees, ed. 2, 447. 1940, as species).
Rosa longicuspis var. sinowilsonii (Hemsley) T. T. Yü & T. C. Ku
-Rosa sinowilsonii Hemsley
Leaflets 5(or 7), abaxially glabrous or slightly pubescent, adaxially slightly rugose. Compound corymb 30-flowered.
Guizhou, Sichuan, Yunnan.

Bruce... would you like a 'Fortuniana' cutting as well? I think I have a few spare struck cuttings.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Bruce... Rosa Longicuspis Empty Re: Bruce... Rosa Longicuspis

Post by Ozeboy 10th September 2009, 20:19

Hullo Simon, yes I would like to give Rosa Longicuspis a try here. Anything healthy is always worth growing here on the coast.

I do have a mature bush of Fortuniana but another one would be worthwhile to compare. Perhaps there are a few that vary considerably.
There are so many Multiflora differences I have lost count.

Will send my mailing address personally to you.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 10th September 2009, 21:09

I'm looking forward to seeing a rose with long teeth! LOL

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 10th September 2009, 21:59

I get it Val... Longi... cuspis... lol a latin aficionado

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] roflmao

Bruce... I'll get them in the mail asap...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 10th September 2009, 22:34

Very good Val [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and you as well Simon for the picture [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 13th September 2009, 14:50

I just looked on HMF re Fortuniana and everything looks the same as mine except they mention thornless and mine has dagger looking thorns.

The bloom looks the same, fragrance description appears similar.

In the references it describes how own-root and other rootstocks roots would only last 2 years in certain soils but Fortuniana rootstocks would last a long time.
It notes Fortuniana is very good in warn to hot climates.
Does anyone have experience with this rose or when used as rootstock?

Simon is the own-root Fortuniana you are sending thornless or large daggar thorns?

Another puzzling thing is the Gigantea rose for breeding. Very little is written identifying it as the Species from China or India. All I have read is that it is the Indian one that has been used by most breeders.
Does anyone know more about these roses?

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13th September 2009, 21:43

That's what I heard too Bruce... that the gigantea that was imported into Australia was of Indian origin which means it should be more tolerant of cold too because it was a highland one) with a creamy yellow tinge to the flowers sometimes noted.

My 'Fortuniana' cuttings have no thorns Bruce... I did not see the parent plant. Sometimes a rose will make thorns as it ages too... even if it is meant to be thornless.

The word I've read about 'Fortuniana' as a rootstock is that it works great in sandy soil, loves the heat, is a long-lived rootstock, and is very resistant to soil nematodes. Problem is it is also as sterile as a mule! This is a shame as it might have been useful in breeding programs for warm climate roses otherwise.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 14th September 2009, 23:42

I got Longicuspis and Fortuniana from Thomas roses just recently.
What were the ones you sent me as own roots Simon ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 14th September 2009, 23:53

hmmmm... how recently? I sent 'Pax' last week... before that I sent you some of the multiflora understock I use and a little pink unknown... it might be Rosa Indica Major.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 16th September 2009, 15:17

Bruce (and David C), finally got the plants/cuttings away. You should receive them in the next few days.

Bruce, we had a bit of a catastrophe with the longicuspis! My goats got into the fenced off area I had longicuspis in and pretty much destroyed it. Luckily I had taken cuttings already... anyway... I decided to dig it up and pot it for a while so it could recover away from the goats Mad When I dug it up I noticed a section I could cut off that had a short shoot and a whole lot of roots. So I've sent you this bit. It has lots of big roots and should take off (though I would pot it first until it has some size and just watch that the cut section heals ok... it shouldn't be a major drama though... in fact I reckon that if you dusted it with some hormone powder or gel etc it would itself callous over and form evem more roots if planted below the ground). Also in the box is a small rooted plant of the multiflora plant I use as a rootstock here. It is such a different and nice plant in its own right that I think everyone should grow at least one Wink This is it: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Dave, I have put a rooted understock in yours along with some longicuspis and anemone cuttings. You should receive them in a few days time.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 16th September 2009, 21:17

Thanks Simon, I look forward to these both maturing here. I have them growing outside. Your Pax is planted with a shaded guard over two of them, the other one is in a pot in the shade house.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down