Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Looking for ideas... low growing perennials

+11
neptune
Balinbear
silkyfizz
betsyw
hariet~rose
Happy roses
Abbi
Ripley
orchid40
Billndee
Admin
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Looking for ideas... low growing perennials - Page 3 Empty Re: Looking for ideas... low growing perennials

Post by maree 14th February 2013, 20:43

Hariet-Rose , i've never heard of Glechoma hederacea , think i'll google it , thanks
l
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Looking for ideas... low growing perennials - Page 3 Empty Re: Looking for ideas... low growing perennials

Post by silkyfizz 14th February 2013, 22:37

I know blackbirds can be a pain chucking mulch all over the place but I like to use lucerne, pea straw or sugar cane as well as underplanting with different plants. Can be a bit tricky for little plants not to get swamped though. I've collected lots of ideas here that I will try out over time. When it's feeding time, I find it's easier to shove the mulch out of the way to scratch food in and at the same time get an idea of the condition of the soil, moisture etc. I've got some roses with living mulches around them so I've tried both ways. My mulched roses always seem to do better and I put this down to improved soil from the built up mulches from one season to the next. But you're right Maree, much cheaper using a living perennial mulch.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 14th February 2013, 22:52

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Today I had friends come for lunch so I picked some roses and some agastache which is the plant I mentioned a couple of posts ago. The roses are Blue for You, then George Thomson's 65 roses for cystic fibrosis, Lady Phelia and Deanne Ross. The buds are from the Alister Clark rose Marjory Palmer. My roses are going very well at present here outside Toowoomba, Qld

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th February 2013, 22:56

Yep , thats probably a good way to go Silky , mulch then some small groundcovers over the top to stop the birds chucking it everywhere , i used to be able to buy organic lucerne from Bunnings , but they don't have it anymore , so have been using the organic sugar cane , and it lasts longer , but its not as good nutrient wise ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th February 2013, 23:15

City Farmers have organic Lucerne in bale and shredded in large bags...
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th February 2013, 23:29

City Farmers , wonder if they are in Melb area , better google it , thanks Neptune , while your here Neptune , my niece is moving to Perth and wants to plant some roses in the garden when she gets there , do you know of any good rose/plant nurseries in Perth ? thanks
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 14th February 2013, 23:30

I agree about the sugar cane mulch, doesn't have the nutrient level and I don't think it holds moisture as well either, but it does last longer and is relatively cheaper. I've used both this year, different beds. I was surprised too that Bunnings don't stock pea straw or lucerne. My preference is lucerne in bales, messy in the car though. The finer lucerne in plastic bales rots down very quickly. Also tried coir mulch - doesn't go far, waste of time.

Bonita your flower arrangement is just lovely. Your roses must be happy to give you blooms like that at the height of summer. It's been so dry here in Melbourne, hard work getting enough water to my roses and all the other plants.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th February 2013, 23:33

do you know what area/suburb she is moving to?...... try and get one closest to her...
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th February 2013, 23:34

Bonita , so glad you posted that photo , Deane Ross is a rose i'm really wanting to try , but don't know anyone who has it , i planted Lady Phelia , but it died on me , my fault , i was in a rush and planted it way too low , are they fragrant , healthy etc , i have Agastache , i love it too , beautiful pic .... can you put up some more pics of these roses , plus blue for you , love em , was just sitting here thinking maybe i should try Lady Phelia again and Deane Ross too , when i saw your photo ... lucky ...

Last edited by maree on 14th February 2013, 23:39; edited 1 time in total
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 14th February 2013, 23:35

Looks like City Farmers in WA and QLD only. Try your local nursery Maree, if its got garden supplies (soil etc) they will probably stock lucerne bales. I get mine for about $16 per bale but have noticed size of bales has shrunk recently.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th February 2013, 23:46

Not sure Neptune , i'll find out , was just talking to her today .... Silky , i'll only use organic , read somewhere about the pesticides that leach out of sprayed mulches , especially if you use them in vegie beds . I'll try the local garden supply , will need lots soon , making the vegie beds into no dig this year , better on the poor old back .....thanks ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 14th February 2013, 23:51

Maree, just pm me the answer and I will let you know....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 14th February 2013, 23:56

Thanks heaps Neptune !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 11th September 2013, 08:03

Maree I love the rose in your Avatar - I am not sure if this topic is still being used but as I am very interested in Perennials (as I have a Cottage Style Garden), I decided to add to this thread. Some of the plants I have planted with my roses are - Perennial Phlox (Blue & White Ridge, Nancy Logan & Mrs H Jones) (these are all dwarfs), Heliotrope, Low Growing Achilles, Anthemis (Susannah Mitchell, Mrs EC Buxton), Perennial Violas & Violets, Erodium, Hardy Geraniums (not the Pelargonium type but the old fashioned garden type), Pyrethrum Daisies, Geums. Some of the smaller growing Herbs are also suitable and the Roses will benefit from the attraction of the Beneficial Insects. I am also always looking for new plants to add if anyone has any other ideas.
Happy Gardening.Looking for ideas... low growing perennials - Page 3 3028820582
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 11th September 2013, 16:17

How about Gerberas, Hippeastrums or Aquilegias? Just a thought!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 11th September 2013, 16:19

PS. I know you stated low growing, but you can get dwarf varieties of the above, I think! Smile 

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 11th September 2013, 16:33

Hi Sue, I have put in a couple Mini-Hippies but didn't think of the Dwarf Aquilegias, every time I plant Gerberas if I have someone help me weed they pull them out thinking they are weeds. I have Milk Thistles growing in the middle of the Vegi Patch at the moment and Graham keeps asking me "Will I pull this weed out"? and I keep telling him I am growing it for the Birds & Beneficial Insects, he thinks I am made. Back to the Aquilegias, I bought my first ones this year so if they grow here for me, I will put some dwarfs in as well, and put them on my Plant Shopping list for next year.
Keep Gardening, Don't slacken off now that it is warming up. Looking for ideas... low growing perennials - Page 3 3528955085
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 11th September 2013, 17:55

Have to keeo gardening, otherwise it gets away from me and weeds invade with great relish! Will be putting Dahlias, Gerberas and Tubar Begonias in, over the next couple of weeks. Oh, how about you putting in some Begonias?

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 11th September 2013, 22:34

Diane , that is Jubilee Celebration , not my pic though , one of my favourite roses , i have bought packets of cottage style plants this year, mixed them all together and thrown them about , lets see what happens . The weeds this year have been the worst i have ever seen , had lots of rain this year and they have flourished ..
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 11th September 2013, 22:37

Dianne

You can get Aquilegia seed off EBay. Someone in Brisbane (I think) sells it,

Not sure if there are any dwarf ones varieties but we bought some seed in April and now we have quite a few of them to plant out.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage 12th September 2013, 11:21

Maree, Your garden should look lovely with all those plants coming up. Send Pics when they start to flowers or better still send some pics of your garden now, I am sure it is lovely. Do you know if there is a Topic at the moment for Members Spring Gardens, I couldn't find one. I thought I recognized your rose, I have it in the garden. Last year I made a mistake of using Organic Lucerne instead of my Organic Sugarcane Mulch in the Perennial Garden, well didn't I pay for it, weed everywhere, good weeds but never the less not wanted. I use Lucerne in the Veg Patch but just pull them out & leave then there to go back into the soil.

Gary, I am sure your garden is looking lovely. Our Heritage Rose Group was up to visit you not so long ago. Do the Aquilegia grow well on the Sunshine Coast & what kind of a situation are you growing them in. They are one of those plants I love but have always questioned. Also what about Clematis have you tried growing them there. I started growing the Hardy Geraniums under my Roses to help keep the roots cool & that has been a success story. I am always open for new ideas.

Sue, I would love to put in Tuberous Begonias, but anymore plantings will have to wait till I come out of hospital, otherwise I might come home to some Deadies as there is so much here to water, though only a house block that I have used every space up on gardens, not 2 acres like Gary has to look after, thank goodness.
Happy Gardening. Looking for ideas... low growing perennials - Page 3 1303145595
Dimity Cottage
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 12th September 2013, 11:41

Sounds like my garden!! Always looking for a space - like parking at Christmas time!! LOL

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3