Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

I am a bludger

+2
Admin
The Lazy Rosarian
6 posters

Go down

I am a bludger Empty I am a bludger

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th July 2009, 18:56

The tittle tells all, has anyone got some or all of these roses.
Arthur De Sansal
Buff Beauty
Frau Karl Druski
Gloire Lyonnaise
Kroprincessin Viktoria
Mme De Waterville
Perle Des Jardins
Quartre Saisons Blanc Mousseu
R. Rugosa Alba
R. Spin Stanwell Perpetual
Souv De Elise Vardin
Unica Alba
Yolande Argon

If you have, could you post the one's you have( or email me direct) and then we can talk turkey about them.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

I am a bludger Empty Re: I am a bludger

Post by Guest 14th July 2009, 19:11

sowwy cant help Embarassed very classy for moi Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 14th July 2009, 19:46

I've got Buff Beauty coming this year... will send some up as it grows Thumbsup

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 14th July 2009, 19:50

I'll have a look at my young Buff Beauty when it gets light. Maybe I can snip of a cutting or two for you Dave

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 17th July 2009, 21:12

I have a Buff Beauty own root struck last summer but still small. If all else fails can help later on. If it doesn't like Sydney weather and gets Black Spot you can have the lot.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th October 2009, 22:05

David... I have rugosa 'alba' here... only new but as it puts on some size I'll try my hand at grafting some for you... I'm hopeless at grafting rugosa... just can't seem to get them to take... maybe Bruce's chip budding method would work better for them seeing as they are bigger rounder buds. Thinking I'll need some hefty rootstocks for them too maybe...

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 30th October 2009, 05:48

Hi,
I have Frau Karl Drushki.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 30th October 2009, 06:56

David, I have two own-root Buff Beauty in 8" pots, will give one to Rosemeadow on Tuesday if you still want one. Let me know before then if you haven't had luck finding one elsewhere.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th October 2009, 12:26

Thank you very much for your generosity and is appreciated, That is if Karen does not mind bringing it back. David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 30th October 2009, 22:55

I sure don't mind, will bring you the Buff Beauty from Bruce.
David you are welcome to bud wood of any of these that I have when they have grown the right bud wood for you. I am checking my list and I have
Arthur de Sansal
Frau Karl Druschki
Quartre Saisons Blanc Mousex ( which I have had for a few years so it could have enough bud wood after it blooms. I will look tomorrow ).
R. Rugosa Alba
And Spin Stanwell Perpetual you saw plenty of at Lynette's.
Souvenir de Elise Vardon I have grown from a cutting and it might be big enough to get bud wood off soon.

Some of them I had ordered but they were sold out of it.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 4th November 2009, 02:10

Hi David, sorry, forgot the "Buff Beauty" when sorting out a few things for Karen. It's here with your name on it. You, Karen or myself will be doing a trip over the next few weeks and can get it to you. Meanwhile I will keep it growing.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 5th November 2009, 09:25

Or I can dig up one of my little Buff Beauties and give it to Carole. I should have tape a note above my stearing wheel, I have a terrible memory.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th November 2009, 09:43

A few warnings; rugosas on their own roots are on my Never Again list - they sucker like crazy. Quatre Saisons and QSBM will also sucker and travel.
The rose sold as Mme de Watteville is actually Mme Joseph Schwartz, a white/pink sport of Comtesse de Labarthe (Duchesse de Brabant). The roses labelled Mme de Watteville at Ruston's and Thomases' both have a branch that reverts to the pink sport parent.
I pulled Perle des Jardins out because it was so mildew-prone in my garden.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 5th November 2009, 15:06

Margaret, unless am reading your post wrong the 3 mentioned sucker, I was not looking for own root or cuttings, I only wanted to "bludge budwood" as I am a "steptoe" as called by my wife.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th November 2009, 19:03

Ah, I see! You should be OK with them then. I'm too clumsy to try budding; I made the first step this year, with grafting heritage apples, and learnt that grafting knives are to be treated with substantial respect.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 5th November 2009, 21:01

Margaret, if I have the land to spare, why in your experience can I not use own roots and let them become "triffids"
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 5th November 2009, 21:07

Hi Margaret. I don't mind my rugosas, gallicas etc. suckering as I have a big garden and my roses have to stand up to Kangaroos. I can mow them if they grow into the pathways.
How did you go with grafting the apples ?

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th November 2009, 21:26

With the apples; about 50% success on small numbers. The Rare fruit Socy sells the budwood each winter at minimal cost. Rare Fruit devotees are at least as bad as rose fanatics - there's a chap in Adelaide with 300 heritage apple cultivars on a quarter-acre block (espaliered and multigrafted).
Suckering roses seem OK in fairly tough garden conditions, eg where they're competing with established trees. In the Barossa Old Rose Repository, it works well with them filling in space in the rose bed, and being mowed in the lawned area, and restricted on the other side by footpath and concrete. But I have concerns about grow-and-mow in an area where kids might be barefoot.
I put my suckering roses into what turned out to be my best patch of soil, with no competition, and they took off for the horizon. Had to take the machete in to get through. It makes weeding difficult, too.
If it's just a garden for colour, it can work well, but where you want to show people what's what, the more vigorous ones walk through and over everything else, and the labelling becomes meaningless. The Species and Old European sections of Mt Lofty Botanical Gardens rose area are prime examples.
It really comes down to what you want from the garden. I just wanted to make people aware of what the potential was.

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 5th November 2009, 22:41

You did well with your Apples, Margaret.
So you have a older rose garden ? Do you have collections of the different varieties ?
Thanks for the warning about the suckers. I will dig them up if they already have thorns on them before I mow.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th November 2009, 23:10

I've been involved in collecting and propagating Teas & others (currently, probably-19th century foundlings) for the HRiAI Tea-Noisette-China Collection at Renmark, and spares tend to wind up in my garden. Also involved in collecting from roadsides and derelict gardens for a heritage garden in my council area, but I'm not sure that's going to go ahead. If it doesn't, those plants will join the heritage roses HRiAI members are propagating for Vic bushfire victims, for when they get round to replanting.
I have enough to make the garden a rod for my back, so I'm trying to focus on Teas & local unknown foundlings, and keep it within more civilised limits.
What we've planted at Renmark and have ready to plant next winter are listed on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] / Resources/Rose Collection at Ruston's Roses. Still looking for unknown Teas and unknown 19th C roses. The ones at Ruston's that aren't in commerce at present will become available for budwood (for purchase; Ruston's is a commercial enterprise) when the plants are big enough.
Roseman, I can send budwood/cuttings of Mme Joseph Schwartz, Souv d'Elise Vardon (correct name is Mlle Franziska Kruger, see the Tea Rose book), Yolande d'Aragon.

Last edited by Margaret on 5th November 2009, 23:19; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : addition)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum