Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Red Roses for Roseman

+4
Carole
Billndee
Admin
Ripley
8 posters

Go down

Red Roses for Roseman Empty Red Roses for Roseman

Post by Ripley 24th June 2009, 20:38

Ok everyone, I mentioned in another thread that I dont really like red roses alot. Never been a 'dozen red roses' type girl. But when I think about it I do have a few favs. They are mainly old fashioned reds and some are probably not technically red. What reds does (..do?) everyone have/love?

First I will have to say I like the look of Bemo's red dorothy perkins. (I see Misty downs has it)
Also:
Red Pierre
All the red rugosas
R. Moyesii Geranium (is interesting but probably wouldnt grow it unless i had more room)
Falstaff
Henri Martin
Cardinal de Richelieu
Baron Girod De L'Ain fascinates me with the white edges
There is probably more but I cant think of them now...

I can appreciate some of the modern reds like Oklahoma, Papa Meilland, Mr Lincoln and Kardinal but they seem so boring next to a beautiful old fashioned. tongue
Ripley
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Red Roses for Roseman Empty Re: Red Roses for Roseman

Post by Admin 24th June 2009, 21:30

'Red Pierre' is good... I find mine doesn't open properly here.

Of the red rugosa I like 'Roseraie de l'Hay' followed by 'Ruskin'. Hoping to breed a few red rugosa myself... have seeds in the fridge right now of 'Scabrosa' x 'Black Jade' trying for miniature red rugosa hybrids. If you like rugosa have a look at 'Ann Endt'. This is quite a lovely rugosa/foliolosa hybrid. I'm hoping to use my 'Ann Endt' in a fair bit of breeding this season.

R. moyesii 'Geranium'... I really want this rose... going to probably order budwood this year so I can use it in the future as breeder.

Falstaff... I reckon most the red DAs are lovely... in flower...
Henri Martin... Is more of a pink/magenta that a red. Mine is really lovely and is one of my favourite roses... if you are in Tas and wanting to see it go to Woolmers in Nov. where they have a hedge of it at the front of the old rose section.

Cardinal de Richelieu is more of a purple... lovely colour too... my favourite rose colour. Like 'Tuscany' and 'Superb Tuscany'. Can't wait for my 'Superb Tuscany' to grow this year.

Roger Lamblin is the same for me as Baron Giraud de l'Ain is for you... I believe BGd'A is a better garden rose though.

I really like 'Red Cascade', a climbing miniature. Messy little informal flower but lovely black/red shade of red.

The reds I don't like are the real fire engine red roses... 'Kardinal' is a really good bush here and I like the flower and the colour is OK... but if only it had more black in it...

Ripley... check out the red rambler called 'Chevy Chase', I belive its a really good garden rose and has quite a nice shape to the flower as well.

My favourite rose colour is creamy whites (like an anitque silk colour) in a semi double flower.... love or a really light shell pink.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 24th June 2009, 22:52

How interesting Simon that your Red Pierre does the same as mine! It continuously puts up these huge bunches of buds but they hardly ever open. They just eventually rot. Only once last season did they open enough for me to enjoy them and I guess that was in the middle of summer.
I suppose we are too cool for it??
Now the other reds......
I love red, red. Everywhere in the garden. It is like street lights for me. Red lights up the garden like nothing else. I have it dotted everywhere.
Kardinal: great flower, lousy bush. Defoliated most of the time.
L.D. Braithwaite: Great rose, bush wants to grow laterally. I am forever pruning it to an inside bud to keep it upright.
Australian Centenery of Federation: It was a bronze medal winner so I have it filling front centre garden. I starts flowering later than the others but it keeps going all summer. I am planning to cull it though because of black spot.
My Favourite Red: unidentified rose, flowers all summer and autumn, healthy bush. It is a floribunda. I have propagated standards of it.
The Temptress: This shrub rose came as a freebie in last winter's order. It has sent up long canes and make big fat orange hips. it is thorny, rambler style. Extremely healthy. But the flowers; they are semi-double, in big bunches, of the most rich deep red colour, and flowering all the time. This one I am going to propagate. I intend to replace Aust Cent of Fed with it in the front garden.
I also have Ingrid Betgman, HT, nice flower,
William Shakespeare2000, perfume. Wants to grow laterally too. Not always a good show,
Camp David: now there's a gorgeous colour. The buds are almost black. Miserable bush.
Command Performance: HT. Said to get mildew but I have never seen it. Flowers almost black, one of the earliest to bloom.
Ekstase: don't buy it. HT, awful shape bush, it wants to grow straight up. Not enough flowers for me. It is going.
That is about all I can remember now.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 24th June 2009, 22:58

I have never thought of Falstaff as a red more a pink.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 24th June 2009, 23:06

Hey Dee... I reckon you should give in to the lateral growth tendencies of L.D. Braithwaite and William Shakespeare 2000 Wink When the stems lie flat the lateral buds along its length are activated and will grow up and terminate in flowers so you'll get more flowers and then they too will try to lie down and in the end you'll end up with a nice mounded rose.

I reckon 'Altissimo' is a hard red to go past... if you like single roses that is Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 24th June 2009, 23:53

Re: 'Red Pierre'... I'm thinking I'm going to move mine this weekend... somewhere it can get more circulation and longer sun exposure to see if that helps... going to move 'Lamarque' into its place.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley 25th June 2009, 07:44

Of all the reds I mentioned the only one I actually have is Cardinal de Richelieu and I did um and ahh about him but as he's not really a RED red (more a purple) I think he will blend in with the whites, creams and soft pinks I prefer.
Ripley
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 25th June 2009, 17:50

I know I have not listed my reds yet, will do tonight, next colour is yellow. I thought more might have given their reds, can we leave this going for a while.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 25th June 2009, 19:56

My Red Pierre is exactly the same - very few blooms actually open out Sad
I think Falstaff is Red, Carole!
I'm excited about getting 2 Roseraie de l'Hay now.
Le Rouge et le Noir is a nice dark one, but don't know how the bush will grow yet.
Black Velvet is a deep red (but a boring HT!)
My W Shakespeare wants to be a standard! I might let it, too.
I've ordered Darcy Bussell, supposed to be a good red.
Sir Donald Bradman is a nice red too.

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 25th June 2009, 21:53

Simon wrote:Hey Dee... I reckon you should give in to the lateral growth tendencies of L.D. Braithwaite and William Shakespeare 2000 Wink When the stems lie flat the lateral buds along its length are activated and will grow up and terminate in flowers so you'll get more flowers and then they too will try to lie down and in the end you'll end up with a nice mounded rose.

I reckon 'Altissimo' is a hard red to go past... if you like single roses that is Rolling Eyes

I wish they would do that but all WM2000 does is snap off at the junction to the main stem.
I'll have another look with that in mind for those particular bushes though and see if I can improve the situation. I feel though that the stems are too stiff and short to pull flat.

Oh yes, I forgot Altissimo. He smiles at me everytime I look out the back door because he is in full view against the deck railing. Has been flowering constantly since last October. Very satisfying rose.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 26th June 2009, 06:19

Dee, only an idea could you pull WS2000 in stages, start with a little bend then when that has got that arch bend some more or wait till the next flower, then do this again, only a thought.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 26th June 2009, 14:39

Hi,
I have Altissimo a climber and a bright red single with large flowers.
Baron Giron de l'Ain which has some white on its rim.
Birthday Present is the darkest red I've seen and it has the most wonderful perfume that lasts and lasts.
Black Beauty, but it hasn't done very well here.\
Camp David is nice with a lovely perfume.
Climbing Dublin Bay is a nice bright red.
Ekstase is another that hasn't done very well here.
I like Hot chocolate but it's more an orange/red.
Kardinal is nice for the vase.
Leonidas is red, orange and yellowish but mostly red. Poor doer here.Climbing Maria Callas is a pinky red, but has huge flowers.
Mister Lincoln is a nice one.
Oklahoma is a favourite with a great perfume too.
Papa Meillland ditto
Rugspin is a dark red rugosa single.
They're not my favourite colours but I think the reds have the strongest perfumes.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 26th June 2009, 22:44

Well, i've read the whole thread and ended up lengthening my wishlist evn more. Cool

Love the colour red, love perfume....and love Dee's garden. Did I mention that before. Embarassed

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 26th June 2009, 22:47

roseman wrote:Dee, only an idea could you pull WS2000 in stages, start with a little bend then when that has got that arch bend some more or wait till the next flower, then do this again, only a thought.

I'll give it a try. I'll need to think of it as a shrub rather than as a HT, for pruning purposes, that is.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 26th June 2009, 22:50

Billndee wrote:
roseman wrote:Dee, only an idea could you pull WS2000 in stages, start with a little bend then when that has got that arch bend some more or wait till the next flower, then do this again, only a thought.

I'll give it a try. I'll need to think of it as a shrub rather than as a HT, for pruning purposes, that is.

Nah, just cull them....give them to Abbi........... bounce bounce bounce Embarassed

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 28th June 2009, 06:51

My REDS these are only a sample from one cat
Amadis
Arthur De Sansal
Charles De Mills
Empereur Du Maroc
Fisher Holmes
Francis Dubreuil
Glenara
James Mason
Parfume De L'Hay
Prince Camille De Rohan
R. Rugosa
Rose Du Roi
Rugspin
Souv Du Docteur Jamain
Souv De Therese Lovet
Tess of The D'urbevill

and one can not forget my first ever rose "Blackboy"

not a bad list without going to book like "Botanica" or others, I would be still typing. Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down