Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

I have a new rose

3 posters

Go down

I have a new rose Empty I have a new rose

Post by Carole 22nd April 2009, 20:20

I purchased a new rose today. "Hot Chocolate" because I liked the unusual colour (& ofcourse I love Chocolate)has any else got this rose if so how does it perform?
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

I have a new rose Empty Re: I have a new rose

Post by Admin 22nd April 2009, 20:32

I am hoping this rose is going to be a doer too. I've ordered this rose this year as well because it was recommended to me as a breeder by a few people on the RHA forum. It's a direct descendant of 'Altissimo' and it has bred nice russet coloured shrub-type roses before. So I'm hoping it will be a worthy garden plant as well. 'Altissimo' does well here so fingers crossed it will as well.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 2nd May 2009, 22:59

My this weeks new rose is "Baronne De Rothschild" I hope it does well as it supposed to be a good cut flower and perfumed. Can anyone tell me how it performs. Ta! very much. Carole
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 3rd May 2009, 19:08

I can report on both of them Carole. Hot Chocolate is not too bad a performer. It repeats well and the flowers are well coloured and shaped. Black spot hit mine a bit though. Low growing so plant it forward in the bed.
The Baronne is a gorgeous colour and a larger size flower, getting multiple heads of them. One of my favourites. Unfortunately like all my HTs she gets the black spot too but is worth growing anyway. Grows tallish. Plant centre or to the back in the bed.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd May 2009, 21:43

I have had both in the past in my current garden.

Hot Choc got lots of mildew in spring/autumn and black spot the rest of the year. Flowers are an orange red and bleach out in hot summer sun (is that the choc colour?).

Had 2. BdR got severe blackspot, totally defoliated much of the year. Repeats well and holds the colour. I would think it would excell as a cut rose and it does have fragrance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 3rd May 2009, 22:07

Cree, as you have grown Hot C, and you are in Jugiong and I am 5 klm's east Mudgee, have you got humidity, as we do not have much, could you give me the rough surrounding planting to it, mine will be planted roughly east/west, 9am sunrise/5pm sunset, would you think less sun would suit the colour. We seem not to get the dreaded mildew thing here, we only get mild black spot.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th May 2009, 08:16

I have a few Carole, what out for black spot though affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 4th May 2009, 21:06

Thank you everyone, I think that I will just have to put up with black spot as the only way to completely avoid it is to get rid of all my Roses >8@ and I am certainly not going to do that. What I would like is for some genius to come up with a magic spray that would really get rid of B.S. or even better a treatment that stops roses getting in the first place cheers .Now the government could give a grant for research into it lol! That would be a good way to spend taxpayers money. cheers Does anyone agree? Mexican Wave Carole
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 5th May 2009, 21:21

I was told today that a good way of keeping black spot at bay is by spraying the plant with Seasol about every 6 weeks. Has anyone tried this. How come nobody has supported my government grant idea to iradicate black spot.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 5th May 2009, 21:59

I am just so overwhelmed with the sheer briliancy and the magnitude of your marvellous idea that I have been speechless until now. Shocked Idea cheers
I am sure there are many scientists ready and anxiously waiting for the funding to materialise so they can get started on this hugely desirable project. It will mean the liberation of the hybrid tea. flower
Now, how can we convince the government that this is more important then global warming, saving the Tassie devil, rescuing the economy or getting broadband into every home and hovel? scratch study rabbit

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 5th May 2009, 22:36

Thank you for your kind remarks Dee. Now going through a couple of points. They are saying that the snow fields have got snow far earlier than they have had for a couple of decades - so that is the end of global warming we must be heading for another Ice Age - Get in lots of firewood. You don't have to save the Tassie Devil he is alive and well and living in Kindred Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (sorry) and as for the economy- ah well we can only hope. Getting proper broadband to everyone is just pie in the sky, it is impossible in this country, we are far to big. The coastal cities yes but they have it now, but go out into the centre of Australia and you will not get it. So that has covered those points. Now let us get to the seriouse issue of GRANTS why waste money on such things as why are a certaine percentage of the population left handed or blue eyed or prefer red cars when they could spend all that money on getting rid of BLACK SPOT - now I know you would agree that would be worthwhile. cheers cheers cheers
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th May 2009, 22:49

Afraid not Carole... just playing the (Tassie) Devil's advocate here Twisted Evil getting rid of black spot is a bad idea... without it nursery sales would be down, people would not pull out their roses to replace them with other black spot magnets, and the after market sales of chemicals would dive causing havoc in the chemical industry with a domino affect spilling over into other sectors too. Just think how many jobs would be lost if this was ever to come to fruition Wink I think the rose mafia might take anyone out who ever tried to stop the spot! pale

On a more serious note... you CAN 'almost' black spot proof roses with good and careful breeding. It will be a reailty one day... we just have to work smarter at it. What a Face

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 5th May 2009, 22:56

I did not consider the mafia. I might have to go underground or find a safe house affraid They wont find me - will they
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th May 2009, 23:09

I won't tell... promise...

Admin