Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

My quick trip to Perth

+2
SueH
muscovyduckling
6 posters

Go down

My quick trip to Perth Empty My quick trip to Perth

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd October 2014, 14:28

Well, I'm back from 5 days in Perth. Flew over for my elder sister's wedding, where I arrived late, about halfway through the ceremony, and later in the evening I stood too close to a candle and my hair caught fire. Other than that, it was a great evening, even though no-one wanted to stand too close to me because I smelled like burned hair Smile

Anyway, we managed to squeeze in quite a bit of rosing while I was there. We first visited Swiss rose nursery to buy a wedding gift (we chose Mr Lincoln in the end... It seemed classic and romantic, so hopefully a good choice for a wedding present!). My younger sister and I had great fun sniffing everything and discovering new roses. I was most impressed with a gorgeous fragrant yellow called Sweet Caitlin, which was grown as a small climber (do you grow her David? If not, you should!!!), and I also fell in love with an Aussie bred rose called Governor McQuarrie (this rose is so amazing Doug! I'm sure you have him already, but if you don't you must rush out and purchase!).

Another day we went up to Melvilles, and spent a couple of hours wandering around their gardens, which were incredible. Most of you will be aware that Melvilles changed hands recently and the new owners are building some sort of resort there, and work is well underway. Doug, I'm sorry to report that the Alister Clark and Aussie rose display bed has been bulldozed to make way for the building works, so we weren't able to see any Aussie roses. There were a lot of teas, a couple of China's and a few Noisettes grown in the display gardens, along with heaps of Austin's and moderns. But not heaps of antiques in stock. I wanted to buy some roses for my younger sister who has just bought her first house, and she had decided on Cl. lady Hillingdon and Cl. Comtesse de Labarthe for her gazebo, but they weren't available - the only climber they had for sale was Crepuscule Sad

So off we went to Dawsons Garden World, smallish local nursery that has a good selection of roses grown on Fort. rootstock. They had a few Aussie bred roses there, and we purchased a Cl. Lorraine Lee to grow over my sisters fence (she wanted something very thorny to deter bad guys from climbing into her back yard, and she loved the blooms of LL), and we also bought a Lamarque to grow over her fairly large garden shed.

All in all, a very fun rosey holiday. Although my family now thinks I am the biggest rose nerd on the planet and they laughed at me a lot Smile
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

My quick trip to Perth Empty Re: My quick trip to Perth

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd October 2014, 15:09

PS. I just had a look on HMF for Governor MacQuarrie, and there is only one photo! I am astounded. This rose was so darn good - I saw zero disease, vigorous growth (it was trained along a low fence), HUGE enormous gigantic beautiful flowers and a very strong lovely fragrance. I mean, what's not to like?

Nurseries should be flogging this rose. It should be selling like hot cakes. Even I am going to buy one (if I can find it), and it will be my one and only Hybrid Tea, lol. That's how good it is, in my opinion.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 22nd October 2014, 15:59

Wow! Must have a decko at this amazing rose. Sounds just like my type of rose.

BTW..... burnt hair is not a good look!! LOLOL

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd October 2014, 16:40

This has answered my post about Hybrid Musks Zoe.

" I was most impressed with a gorgeous fragrant yellow called Sweet Caitlin, which was grown as a small climber (do you grow her David? If not, you should!!!), "
When we were down at Swanes, they had a very small one one in a pot. It was highly recommended by Kim Rupert fro the US. It is on next years list already.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 22nd October 2014, 20:55

Duckie

On the subject of the rose Governor Macquarie(Grant) I do have it and I believe it to be an outstanding rose. It can be purchased from Swanes.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 22nd October 2014, 23:35

Well, muscovyduckling, I guess you had a hot (burning) time in Perth. On the serious side, sounds like you packed in a lot with your quick visit, be sure to come back now.
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 23rd October 2014, 00:36

I have had it for a number of years and it is one of my favourite roses.Healthwise the best in my garden and takes the extreme heat to.Grows very tall and sideways but flower and perfume outstanding.For you guys in melb try Gardenworld on springvale rd they always seem to have it there.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 23rd October 2014, 07:56

Sadly, Paul, I think I brought the Melbourne weather with me. As a result, it poured at my sister's wedding, and I think the northern suburbs copped a fair bit of hail. But I prefer it that way - I can't handle the heat anymore!

Good to hear so much great feedback about The Guv'ner! What a smashing rose.

And David, glad to hear Sweet Caitlin is on your list Smile I see Treloars sells it. I'm trying to decide between Sweet Cailtlin, Marechal Niel, or trying to get hold of Mrs Graham Hart somehow.

I accidentally got hooked on yellow roses. Your fault David.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 23rd October 2014, 09:43

Further on the Governor Macquarie rose the AQ first came across it as a seedling along with Let's Celebrate and Our Golden Son while she was judging the Hunter Valley Regional Rose Show in 2008. She convinced the late Trevor Grant to register the three roses. Let's Celebrate became the South Australian Centenary Rose and Our Golden Sun was named to celebrate the birth of Seth Irwin son of Angus Irwin the Managing Director of Neutrog. In 2009 I was approached by Windsor Council in my capacity of Rose Society of NSW if the society had a rose to celebrate the bi-centenary of Governor Macquarie. Although the society didn't have a rose I told them I had a good friend who had a rose that would fill the bill. It is now history that I approached Trevor and he was quite happy for his rose to become the Governor Macquarie celebration rose. Trevor contacted Finbarr O'Leary of Swanes and Swanes budded the rose for commercial distribution. The rose was officially launched by the Governor of NSW Marie Bashir at Windsor during 2010.  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

NSW Governor Marie Bashir, Windsor Mayor Bart Bassett,  National Rose Society President Glynis Hayne (AQ), Trevor Grant.

Last edited by Ausrose on 23rd October 2014, 16:44; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd October 2014, 12:29

Zoe, it has been mentioned before, but you could have worse addictions than, "I accidentally got hooked on yellow roses. Your fault David."
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 23rd October 2014, 14:57

Cool story Doug! What a great rose to be a part of.

I'm sorry to hear that Trevor has passed away.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 23rd October 2014, 17:00

• In NSW one of my innovations that was accepted by state council was for each regional to have a  "regional rose". The Hunter Valley Regional chose Governor Macquarie(Grant) as Trevor Grant was a former Chairman of the regional. Other NSW Regional roses are NBMH-Imp(Dawson), Sydney-Seduction, Illawarra-Elina, Macarthur-Hilton Edward(Stibbard) Goulburn-Mr Lincoln.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down