Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Rose Gardens of Australia

+4
silkyfizz
Balinbear
dannyboy
Ausrose
8 posters

Go down

Rose Gardens of Australia Empty Rose Gardens of Australia

Post by Ausrose 15th April 2014, 04:47

In 2007 I had the pleasure of browsing the Morwell Gardens and I was so impressed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Rose Gardens of Australia Empty Re: Rose Gardens of Australia

Post by dannyboy 15th April 2014, 09:13

I have been there a fair few times as i use to be in the area alot. It's a great rose garden and kept very well and lovely roses.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 16th April 2014, 23:00

We have been to a couple famous rose gardens in Tasmania. I will see if I can find the photos. They will be on a hard drive around here somewhere.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 17th April 2014, 03:16

One of the most spectacular gardens in Australia are the Hunter Valley Gardens
nestled within the foothills of the Brokenback Ranges of New South Wales about two hours travel along the M1 formerly the F3, from Sydney, the Hunter Valley Gardens ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is one of Australia’s premier tourist destinations, self-contained and with numerous tourism awards of excellence to its credit. Originally conceived and developed by the Roche family, the complex now covers over 200 hectares with several International themed gardens covering 25 acres and overall planted with 35,000 roses of 150 different varieties, 6,000 trees, 600,000 shrubs and a million ground cover plants. The rose garden within the garden complex spans 1.5 acres with a centre garden of 50 metres diameter designed to symbolize a corkscrew and to highlight the association of wine with roses in the premium wine grape growing area of the Hunter Valley. Within the rose garden area there are over 8000 rose plants established from 56 varieties including `Double Delight´, `Charles de Gaulle´, `Friesia´, `Fragrance´, `Marlena´, `Bonica´ and `Blue Moon´. The gardens are particularly child friendly with the Storybook Garden taking adults and children alike back in time to all their favorite fairytale characters.Taken from an article written by South Australian rosarian Les Krake
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 17th April 2014, 17:10

That sounds and looks wonderful. Love the idea of corkscrew design to link with the grape growing area. One day maybe I can see it for myself.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 17th April 2014, 18:14

Balinbear - do you have pics of Susan Irvine's former garden in Tas? Love to see it some day if new owners open to public visits. Also, has anyone been to the Red Cow gardens in Southern NSW. Apparently gorgeous with an avenue of climbing roses etc.
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 17th April 2014, 18:23

I visited Red Cow Gardens in 2009 and was impressed.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 17th April 2014, 21:33

We have stopped at Red Cow Farm a few times, and it is just wonderful. I love looking at all the things I can't grow here in the central west. I'm not jealous, as I love our climate, and don't fancy the cold winters that they have in the highlands, but it's amazing to see so many roses and perennials growing there so perfectly.

Debbie G

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 17th April 2014, 21:38

rosebud wrote:Balinbear - do you have pics of Susan Irvine's former garden in Tas?  Love to see it some day if new owners open to public visits.  Also, has anyone been to the Red Cow gardens in Southern NSW.  Apparently gorgeous with an avenue of climbing roses etc.  

Actually that is why we were in Tasmania. Lee purchased a ticket to Susan's garden for us for my birthday. So we did a quick trip (7 days) around the island while we were there. It was really the first holiday we had had since, well since before we were married in 1980.

It was a great afternoon with her in her garden. Made me want to (and I did mostly) rip out all the DAs at home after seeing how well they grew down there.

Learnt a few things on the trip. The Dog Rose is an environmental weed in Tassie and Iceberg must be close to becoming one. It grows everywhere. One place had no garden but here was a bloody Iceberg growing in the middle of the long grass looking like it was fertilised every other day and watered constantly. Oh yes the house was abandoned and falling down and looked like it had been deserted for some time.

We drove from the airport up the east coast to Launceston. On the first day we saw more dead possums on the road than we saw people. During the time we were there we found small nurseries (Mole Creek plus one down past the Huon Valley near the Scented Rose Garden were examples). It was a great holiday.

I will try to find the photos.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 18th April 2014, 06:26

Oh Balinbear, that sounds like a dream holiday! Yes, it is a bit depressing seeing those voluptuous DAs growing so well in cool climates. When we went to Red Cow Farm last January the DAs were the only roses out, but they were amazing - while all my roses at home were shrivelled and burnt before they ventured out of their buds.

Debbie G

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 18th April 2014, 06:57

This is not a rose garden per say, but they do have some. It is at Oberon NSW, we are going in Spring and summer opening times,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 19th April 2014, 07:22

Red Cow Garden 2009

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 22nd April 2014, 18:04

Yes, I agree that DA's are disappointing here on S.C and just don't perform which is why I won't purchase any more.

Thanks for the description Balinbear - certainly sounds a memorable holiday.
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 22nd April 2014, 20:14

Here in Singapore the Singapore Govt have spent 1 Billion dollar to develop "Gardens By The Bay" in Marina Bay . It is next door to the Marina Bay Sands Resort. They have built apart from an outside area, two huge indoor areas, simulating rain forest plus other climates as well. At the moment the have a tulip festival on display, They have about 30-40 roses on display with no names attached and they are small. There are hardly any blooms showing and the odd ones are blown. I personally would have thought they would have given them a summer prune in February so they are all flowering with the tulip festival. They have about half a dozen climbers, climbing about three meters up walls without flower. The only rose I saw with a name tag was one called Appreciation. One thing I can say with define authority...didn't see one indication of black spot or any other ailment to a rose.....all clean......
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 1st May 2014, 12:07

Many of the  rose gardens of Australia have a section for Australian bred roses and these are great places to go and see the quality of many of  the Australian roses under natural conditions. Morwell Rose Gardens have many Australian bred roses including:- Accolade, Alice, Alister Clark, Angela Rose Taylor, Annie’s Song, April Hamer, Australia Felix, Australian Sunrise, Baxter Beauty, Bendigold, Billy Boiler, Borderer, Brisbane Blush, Blackboy, Carabella, Carole Joy, Cecilia, China Sunrise, City of Benalla, City of Wangaratta, Claret Cup, Collegiate Pride, Community Banquet, Countess of Stradbroke, Contribute, Cousin Essie, David Ruston, Dawson’s Delight, Daybreak, Deane Ross, Diana Allen, Dividend Editor Stewart, Elizabeth Fankhauser, Ethel Dawson, Fairlie Rede, Flemington Racecourse, Flinders, Friends of Benalla, Frolic, Gay Vista, Glenara, Golden Dawn, Great Venture, Herbert Brunning, Honey Flow, Howard Florey, Iced Parfait, Ida Elizabeth, Imp, In The Pink, Infantania, Jamie Alexander, Janal, Janette Murray, Jenny Brown, Joyce Edmonds, Karen Julie, Kitty Kininmoth, Lady Huntingfield, Lady Mann, Lady Vera, Legacy Jubilee, Let’s Celebrate, Linda Thomson, Lorraine Lee, Lubra, Mab Grimwade, Marjorie Atherton, Mariandl ’92, Marjory Palmer, Mary Delahunty, Mary Guthrie, Mawson, Megan Louise, Mellow, Minnie Watson, Mrs Albert Nash, Mrs Fred Danks, Mrs Hugh Dettman, Mrs Mary Thomson, Mrs R C Bell, Mrs W R Groves, Nancy Hayward, Nellie, Neil, Nola Emily, Olive McKenzie, Onkaparinga, Our Rosamond, Pacific Triumph, Pakeha, Pamela Joy, Peggy Bell, Peter Benjamin, Phoenix First, Pride of Mt Barker, Red Rebecca, Restless, Ringlet, Rod Stillman, Rosalind, Ruby Treasure, Ruyton, Sarah, Scott William, Shadow, Sharon Louise, Smoked Salmon, Spek’s Centennial, Spring Song, Squatter’s Dream, Stephanie Jo, Sugar Plum Fairy, Suitor, Sunlit, Sunny South, Susan Irvine, Sweetcorn, Sybil Hipkin, The Roseville College Rose, Titian, Tonimbuk, Tracey Wickham, Tranquil, Victoria Gold, W R Hawkins, Warrawee, Water Music, Waverley Garden Club, White Radox, Woman’s Day, Zara H.

Last edited by Ausrose on 9th August 2014, 06:39; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 1st May 2014, 12:40

That's quiet a list, Doug....thanks for that..... Rose Gardens of Australia 3318427985
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 1st May 2014, 18:55

Although not as big as other Victorian rose gardens at Werribee and Mornington Morwell is every bit as good as them and well worth a visit. In 2009 the AQ as the National President accepted the Award of Garden of Excellence on behalf of the gardens at the World Federation of Rose Societies Conference in Vancouver.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 9th August 2014, 06:50

In the 2014 edition of the Australian Rose Annual an article on Australian rose gardens was included that was written by South Australian rosarian Les Krake. The article was considered to be of such quality it was published in the American Rose the official magazine of the American Rose Society. If anyone would like a copy just PM me your email address and I will forward you the same.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down