Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

2014 bare root lists-post 'em here!

+11
LouiseJB
Ausrose
rosebud
jordan71
Debbie G
The Lazy Rosarian
Balinbear
betsyw
silkyfizz
maree
muscovyduckling
15 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2014 bare root lists-post 'em here! Empty 2014 bare root lists-post 'em here!

Post by muscovyduckling 25th January 2014, 19:35

So now that it's officially 2014 (just) it's not entirely blasphemous to start talking about what to order this winter. I know you're all thinking about it, and I will need a lot of help from everyone with my order (newbie!), so let's get the conversation happening!

Maree, I know you have yours all figured out, so let's hear it.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

2014 bare root lists-post 'em here! Empty Re: 2014 bare root lists-post 'em here!

Post by maree 25th January 2014, 20:03

Muscovy , lol , i've had it figured out for ages , always thinking where can i squeeze in a new rose , but probably this is it now with this order , no more room , i'm thinking  -   Amazing Grace ,  Fionas Wish , Cote d Azur , Chartreusse de parme ,  Grus an Aachen , Standard Neptune , and if i can find a spot Betsy's Sightsaver ...
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

2014 bare root lists-post 'em here! Empty Re: 2014 bare root lists-post 'em here!

Post by silkyfizz 25th January 2014, 20:48

Well my list is pretty much sorted too. First off Baronne E de Rothschild and Parole (as per last year when things went awry), Firefighter, Valencia, Julia Child, Dame Elisabeth Murdoch. Maybes: Alec's Red, Warm Wishes and Compte de Chambourd.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 25th January 2014, 21:05

I'm going to jump in here just to get notifications as this thread builds
The story so far...

NEW TO ME
Kathleen hybrid musk
Darcey Bussell Austin. I think this one might be a great one for my Short, Fat and Overdressed girlies, for front of house pot, even if it isn't heavily Doused in Perfume. Munstead Wood might tick all the boxes including scent, but after much research, I think DB has better full and rounded bush shape, is more prolific.
Firestar Maybe baby
Alec's Red Maybe baby too. do I need this red with so many Firefighters? Want to taste test the scent on this one.

MORE OF THE PROVEN WINNERS
Firefighter Blooms when it's hot, blooms when it;s cold, blooms when it is spot-free, blooms when it's leafless. Intensely fragrant to the point of being almost artificially flavoured, a Methuselah in the vase. Undisputed Queen of my Rose Battery Hens
Valencia More than a flower, a way of life, really. Not a production-line bloom factory, but generous and magnificent, and most transportingly scented of all my roses. Probably my favouritest rose in the universe. The 2014 acquisition will be my fifth plant.

More to come as you people talk me into things...
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 25th January 2014, 21:12

Hah Betsy, so true. Just when you think you have it nailed...

I like Parole a lot. She's pretty gaudy for my tastes though, and I'm not sure if I can be bothered with HTs - I don't have a lot of sun to go around, and they sound like they're pretty high maintenance!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 25th January 2014, 21:39

Betsy, I think you will be very happy with Darcy Bussell. She has Soooooo exceeded my expectations. Blooms non stop, not just a few mingy flowers either, jewel like and always scattered pleasingly across the bush. Nice shaped plant, clean healthy growth. Flowers last well on the bush, more so than Munstead (which I'm sad to say is a bit disappointing this year). When so many plants cooked in a week of 40 degrees plus, Darcy just kept plugging away happily. She does like her water but is a health nut, sending out new shoots as regular as a gym junkie. Being a short fat gal, these shoots just fill her out nicely, rather than going all gangly.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 25th January 2014, 22:15

I'm thinking of making a little tea rose bed with Anna Olivier, Marie van Houtte and Mons. Tillier.... What do you folks think about the colour combo?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 25th January 2014, 22:18

Silky, your description of Darcy Bussell sounds so lovely! Is she more reddish or purple-ish? It's hard to tell in the pics.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 25th January 2014, 22:49

Muscovy, your colour combo sounds just lovely, light pinks with the divine M Tillier's coppery depths setting them off and avoiding a pastel washout. When you say "little tea rose bed" what size are we talking about here?
Darcy's colour is hard to explain and difficult to capture in a photo. There is some colour variation as the flower fades. Here are  some pix from my garden. The first one I think were its first flowers, which are now larger and fuller.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />" />
I would describe Darcy as crimson that ages to deep garnet.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 25th January 2014, 23:21

Muscovy , i would just lovvve to have a tea rose garden , but just don't have the room , Anna Oliver from what i have read is a lovely rose and Mons Tillier sounds lovely too , i would have all three if i could ..  Ale's Red i'm most interested in to see how it goes Silky , its always good to have another fragrant red up your sleeve ...
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 25th January 2014, 23:29

Maree the Alec's Red that I saw growing and that I fell in love with is a red close in colour to Henri Matisse, sort of raspberry/cherry and has a divine fragrance. I hope I have room for it.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 25th January 2014, 23:46

muscovyduckling wrote:I'm thinking of making a little tea rose bed with Anna Olivier, Marie van Houtte and Mons. Tillier.... What do you folks think about the colour combo?

Little Tea Rose Bed? I don't think there is such an animal.

No actually Anna Olivier is small, Lady Roberts (it's sister) is also. Marie Van Houtte and Mons, Tillier are generally not small.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 26th January 2014, 07:32

Not bad my friends, 12 posts in such a short time. As we were not here for bare root season last year we are going all out this time, so far from Thomas's for Roses(quality IMO) I have a short list of 47(which will not get shortened), Carole has not looked yet, there are about another 20 plus from a couple of other good nurseries. I will post my list later today.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 26th January 2014, 07:49

Haha Balinbear I was waiting for you to chime in on that front. I haven't measured the area I'm thinking of, but I will let you know when I get home so you can all laugh in my face! Haha.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 26th January 2014, 08:21

The most lyrical and alluring and precise description of Darcey ever, silky. Better even than David Austin's official blurb, penned by evilly good copywriters in the company's gainful employ. On the strength of your prose alone, I suspect that the sales of DB may rise in 2014.

Alec's Red is on my Maybe list (see above) but it will now become a Confirmed on your say-so.

Last edited by betsyw on 26th January 2014, 11:20; edited 1 time in total
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 26th January 2014, 10:18

Actually in saying what I did and now checking where you live the size may not be such a concern.

If I remember correctly, Susan Irvine in one of her books saying that in her experience growth sizes listed for teas were an exaggeration and they never grew that large for her. That may not have been her exact words but my interpretation of what she said (though she did say something about a French bloke drinking too much wine when suggesting that Marie Van Houtte can grow out to 5 metres diameter (one of ours was at least that big before it got "flattened" during a thunder storm)) so down your way with the cold winters the plants may not grow as large as they would stop growing over winter whereas up here they do not really stop.

Maybe someone down your way ahs experience in growing them though I understand that not a lot of teas are grown down your way as they prefer warm humid conditions.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 26th January 2014, 10:25

Yes indeedy silky! Great pics too Smile

I'm very curious about this Valencia rose too betsy.. I will try to hunt one down and have a sniff.

Yep Balinbear, I know melbourne might not be ideal but want to have a go anyway, mainly because I'm in love with Mons. Tillier!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 26th January 2014, 13:59

Betsy, as such a wonderful wordsmith yourself, I'm bowled over by your praise of my description of Darcy. High praise indeed from a master. Thank you!
And thank you too Muscovy for your kind words. I would be very interested in how Mons Tillier grows for you, as this is one rose that I would dearly love but just don't have the space.
I'm really looking forward to growing Valencia. Why have I waited so long?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 26th January 2014, 14:17

silkyfizz wrote: I would be very interested in how Mons Tillier grows for you, as this is one rose that I would dearly love but just don't have the space.
Why not try and contain it as you would a HT rose or a hedge like Buxus
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 26th January 2014, 17:11

I'm with Silky here , i love Mons Tillier and am very envious of anyone who has the space to grow these teas , and as a fellow Victorian , i'm eagerly awaiting someone who will have a go ....  Silky Valencia is lovely .....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 26th January 2014, 18:25

I just love all this shopping list stuff! My list is embarrassingly long and will have to be severely trimmed somehow, as I have quite limited space. I have one tea rose, Jean Ducher (apparently should be called G. Nabonnand I learned this week), and it is about 2m x 2m after about 6 years. It is a lovely thing, grows like a small tree with quite an area underneath it. I grew Mons Tillier when we lived in Dubbo and loved him, I found I needed to keep him trimmed to a reasonable size or the weight of the flowers would break the branches in spring thunderstorms. He never grew to the size Jean Ducher is now. I planted another Mons T. when we moved to Parkes but it never grew very big because the neighbours tree shaded it out until I eventually had to give in and remove him (the rose, not the neighbour).
I would like: Mrs Dudley Cross, Octavus Weld, Lady Hillingdon, and another Mons. Tillier. What do you think? The last two I've grown before but would appreciate any feedback on Mrs Cross and Dr Weld.

Debbie G

Number of posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 26th January 2014, 20:33

Ooh Octavus Weld is lovely!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 26th January 2014, 20:34

And Maree, where is Dan? I bet he has some teas.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 26th January 2014, 21:46

He's bound too Muscovy lol !!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 26th January 2014, 21:48

haha
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next