Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Under-plants for roses - what's readily available?

+5
maree
jordan71
muscovyduckling
silkyfizz
betsyw
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Under-plants for roses - what's readily available? - Page 2 Empty Re: Under-plants for roses - what's readily available?

Post by silkyfizz 24th January 2014, 19:54

Some campanula can be invasive I believe but mine is fine. I just rip some out when it gets out of hand. Haven't had to do that for some time. Don't ask me what type it is though, it's been there for years. Purply blue flower spikes about 12inches + high, foliage is much lower.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Under-plants for roses - what's readily available? - Page 2 Empty Re: Under-plants for roses - what's readily available?

Post by Ausrose 24th January 2014, 21:21

At the moment one of my beds is under planted with lucerne not by design but rather by accident with the lucerne springing from lucerne mulch that was spread in October. I've decided to keep the lucerne and see how it affects the bed in the long term. One beneficial affect I've discovered already is despite the heat wave none of the roses in the bed have suffered with sunburn.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 24th January 2014, 21:42

That's interesting Ausrose. How high does lucerne grow? Do you think the growth of lucerne gave the rose foliage protection from the sun or perhaps it might be due to root shading?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 24th January 2014, 21:49

Yes i'd be interested in that too , cause some of my roses have sunburn .
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 25th January 2014, 06:27

here is the story on Lucerne, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 25th January 2014, 10:24

Love the lucerne, nitrogen fixing and all that ... although it's in pretty short supply up here right now. How could I have forgotten the forget-me-nots! On my shopping list now!
Another very common herb I didn't mention earlier as a ground cover and filler for roses is good old rosemary. Numerous forms including prostrate - and tough as tough gets. Probably needs to be on the edges of the beds though as, like lavender, it may not enjoy too much watering.
And, yes, Ausrose, I wouldn't be picking culinary herbs from a rose bed that is sprayed etc.
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2