Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Artemisia with roses

5 posters

Go down

Artemisia with roses Empty Artemisia with roses

Post by betsyw 30th January 2013, 11:55

Has anyone ever tried this combination? I was just looking at silky's pix of feverfew with her roses, and was reminded that this frilled collar effect was something I've always lusted after. I've wanted to try it with the lacy silver A. Powys Castle, of which I have several cutting pots now ready to plant out. Artemisia likess it dry and lean, so I'm not sure if it's possible to feed and water the roses and the arties separately with success.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Artemisia with roses Empty Re: Artemisia with roses

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th January 2013, 15:59

Shasta daisies and some of the dianthus go well from memory
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 30th January 2013, 16:46

Betsy I've grown A. Powys Castle (but not with roses) and mine got very wide and woody, needed regular pruning. I love the silvery ferny looking foliage and I think it would look great with reds or vibrant cerise. I think it's worth a try if you have the cuttings.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 30th January 2013, 20:37

i will try and remember to go and get a photo from the garden tomorrow but i use a very reliable artemesia called Artemisia ludoviciana.. it dies down in winter so you don't have the sticky effect..it looks great with Pat Austin ..it sends rhizomes through the garden but i haven't noticed it being a nuisance .. i lost my powys castle when a friend, who was kindly minding my garden while i was away for 6 months, decided it was ugly and she did away with it.. shame as the wrens liked to nest in it...
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 31st January 2013, 10:19

Woudl lovelovelove to see that pic, hariet. A. ludoviciana as a solo plant looks lovely in the shots I've seen.

What I'm after - and I was hoping Powys Castle could give me - was a lacy or fine leafed grey/silver/white foliage "ground storey" to underpin some of the white roses and white-flowered climbers of which I have a great many.

I can change horses midstream to A, ludoviciana, no worries ;-)))
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 31st January 2013, 20:28

Here we go Betsy - some grey foliage options, some you may already have but including A. ludoviciana, plus a golden oregano which was looking rather pleased with itself tonight
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be
registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 31st January 2013, 20:42

I am loving these pix, hariet. Will try to source the AL next week. Will underplant the ludov beneathone of the white climbers and another with the (abundant) Powys Castle.

You are legend. Thank you.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 31st January 2013, 21:11

Hariet thank you for these. You have given me some ideas too. I really like the look of that A. ludoviciana, a new one to me. That silvery delicate but crisp looking foliage makes a great foil for the roses. And that Obedient Plant looks great too. Does it need much attention?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 31st January 2013, 21:18

you are welcome gals.. let me know if you can't get A. lud and the obedient as i could send you shoots in the mail (so long as you are not in WA, Tas or SA). The obedient plant i once gave to a friend in Melbourne and she found it a tad invasive. However, it dies back in winter, and to be honest it has a knack of coming up in problem spots and solving a gap issue.. i believe there is a white flowered form about which could be useful
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 31st January 2013, 21:53

Thanks Harriet, that's a very kind offer, which I might just take you up on with A. lud. Might give Obedient a miss though, have just been reading about it and its invasive tendencies, and don't want to tempt fate. Shame because it looks so pretty.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st February 2013, 08:30

Still a legend, hariet ;-) I'm going to look around the suppliers here for Ludo before I pester you, though. That's their job, after all, to fill my every request. Not.

Can you tell me if that scrummy golden oregano spills or is always upright ? Looking for shade tolerant spilling fillers at the moment.
PS: silky, the Obedient Plant is a weed up here. It's so, so pretty, though, everywhere these purple flowers around the grassy verges.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 1st February 2013, 10:41

Just love your garden Harriet , beautiful and sooo roomy , lovely !!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 1st February 2013, 17:52

thanks Gals.. will pot some A luds this weekend in case you want them ..if not they will go into the school fete.. good weather for propagating cuttings at the moment..

Thanks Maree.. there is a large degree of chaos in my garden but it all seems to come together ..

now the golden oregano Betsy doesn't do much tumbling down a wall face for example, tends to hug the ground and mine never gets tall like the common oregano.... shade tolerant spring fillers ... hmmm ..has to be some candidates out there.. lemme think about it
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down