Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

New chip budding video I found

4 posters

Go down

New chip budding video I found Empty New chip budding video I found

Post by Admin 16th July 2011, 21:05

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

New chip budding video I found Empty Re: New chip budding video I found

Post by Barbara B 18th September 2011, 16:07

Hi,
I would like to try this out. I have some seedling roses that I've picked up around the garden and I thought maybe I could use these and try to graft a bud onto them. A lot of my cuttings fail and some people have much more success with budding.
In the video clip it shows the bud being completely covered by the grafting tape - is this what the experienced people do? I would have thought it would make the bud rot.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 18th September 2011, 16:37

Barbara, IMO, I would leave the tip of the bud open if useing budding tape. A lot of the nurseries use a patch of what would resemble latex gloves which let the bud break through it. I have not looked at the video, but would suggest the tape. Wrap from the bottom up as this will stop any water from entering behind it.. I reckon about 3 laps below and above, hope this helps David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18th September 2011, 16:48

What kind of seedlings? Are they any good? Seems a shame to graft onto seedlings that might be worthwhile.

RE: The covering.. you need to keep in mind that this is a U.S. video done in winter and kept in the garage. Over here there is a good chance they would cook.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 18th September 2011, 16:52

Hi David,
thanks. I give it a try tomorrow.....or should I wait until later in the summer??? What sort of rose would be the easiest to start with - just a strong HT?
Simon, I don't know what seedlings - just ones that have sprouted by themselves in the rose beds.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 18th September 2011, 20:07

Have a try Barbara, David has given you some useful tips. Selecting good buds on the sion ( Your HT) is as follows.
Select buds that are on a growth cane, those that are under a new bloom.
These are better if just starting to swell but not shot. Do wrap the complete bud to keep the water out as David mentioned, Start at the bottom with three turns then wind the tape firmly up, overlapping each time till you are the width of the tape above the bud. Then do a half hitch to secure the top. I use spit to make the tape slide for a better tighter seal.
Wait 8 weeks then remove the tape and cut off the understock just above the node above. Next winter when the sap is not running you can cut the understock just above the bud and growth from the bud. This prevents die back down the understock behind the bud.

There are many advantages in budding for the success rate is higher than ownroot. Should you want ownroot then bud first and when growing cut as many cuttings for striking. At least you won't lose the rose to begin with.

The growth from a chip bud has to be seen to be believed. Today I was looking at Safrano budded April 2011 on 2 year old understocks and activated by removing tape last week of July. The shoot is just on 50 CM long and has new buds on top. This shoot is red from the understock up to the buds. The reason for this extreme growth is the understock is two years old with a large root system feeding and pushing into growth one bud.

Start with HT's and select Multiflora understocks that are the same diameter as the HT bud you are grafting. Not all roses like to be budded particularly some of the very early HT's and others. I have had 100% failure with one rose and 100% success with another which demonstrates the technique is good but one rose doesn't like to be budded.

Tomorrow I would use 'Iceberg" as a suitable understock by budding on what ever you have to test your technique. I have a large Multiflora with Sylvia buds on it through showing people the technique. These lasted a year with the tape on before they died.

I don't bud like the Video but success is the best way of fine tuneing methods. If ever in Sydney, look me up and I will be glad to help. David is out at Mudgee, I can't invite you on Davids behalf but am sure he would help.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th September 2011, 06:34

Barbara, just as a side thought along what Simon said, why not grow some of these seedlings on and see what comes from them.
Back to your 'budding', I would use a 'HT', not saying there is a correct way to doit or not, but when we had the 'budders' at the rose nursery they would only use stems of the rose that the flower was 'spent' which meant that any buds below it were on the move to replace the flower above it. The other thing that has come to mind is avoid using say the first 3 buds below the flower, they will not be as pronounced, hope this helps also, Regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 19th September 2011, 07:59

Hi,
OK - I'll leave my seedlings to grow and see what we get.
I'll try and bud Apricot Nectar onto a stem of Rhapsody In Blue today. Apricot Nectar has had a couple of flowers already and I reckon the stems are about the same size.
I'll do a few and cover some buds completely and leave others open.
Photos to follow.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 19th September 2011, 08:59

Barbara, when to take buds varies with each rose. Holtermans Gold for example will start to shoot when the bloom has just started to open while others stay in the just swollen state even when the bloom is quite spent.
You just have to pull down the leaf stem and check.

Do cover the complete bud and don't use buds that have started to shoot. If shooting buds are the only ones then try wrapping the bottom tightly then over the shot section wrap lightly not to squash the bud and then wrap tightly above the bud. Budding tape does not slip so the loose wrap over the bud will remain loose. If you want it to slip then I use spit on the tape to half hitch the top.

There are a lot of commercial and custom budders in my district that I see every now and again. All T bud for speed except the Mexicans who have a similar system to chip budding. Best description of this is scoop budding which won't be seen in any of the text books.

The reason for success whatever budding system you settle on is good cambial contact. Just keep trying and never give up.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th September 2011, 12:30

Barbara, as Bruce has mentioned the "Mexicans" had another thought on the subject. You might like to do this but they the Mexican's first came over here to bud al of Swanes rose and what they do is cut all the buds off the stem and place them in their mouth, it is said the salivor helps promote good take on the union. Regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 19th September 2011, 13:43

Hi,
I found my grafting tape and a blade and went outside to look for suitable buds but I don't think my roses are ready yet. :-( Any that have flowered have been on very short stems only 10cm or so - I have to wait until they really start. I think we're behind the gardens in NSW. I'll check the tea roses in the back garden later this afternoon - they've been flowering all the time.
David - that sounds like a better idea than lugging a bowl of water around.
If I cover the whole bud, how do I know when to remove the tape?
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19th September 2011, 13:46

The big commercial fellows do'not start budding untill around November, as for the removal of the tape wait untill you see good strong growth. If you take it off to early the edges will dry out resulting in the graft dying.

Warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 19th September 2011, 16:35

Hi,
I did a "token" one just to see if I could do it. The grafting tape didn't stick to itself. Is there a special tape for budding. Could I use a plumber's Teflon tape instead?
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 19th September 2011, 18:01

Barbara, you are getting some good information from all.
Budding tape is sold by some garden shops but usually nursery suppliers are the best. The rolls are about 4" in diameter on a 1" spool. Unfortunatly they are usually sold in packs of 10 at the nursery supplies. That's enough to do around 2,000 or more
Best you send me your address by messages on this forum and I will post you a part roll of about 30 metres

Teflon thread sealing tape is not suitable.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 19th September 2011, 18:25

Barbara, David mentions the Mexicans putting buds in their mouth to prevent drying out. Some people consider traces of Mexican food and drink in their saliva promotes growth and is the reason for their good success.

Some of the commercial budders sit watching TV and slice off buds which fall into a buchet half full of water. The buckets obviously have a label for each variety. These buds are put onto understocks the next day.
A guy I used to know had three acres of minatures which were budded in this manner.

Oh! my aching back.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th September 2011, 18:53

Barbara, you can purchase 'budding "tape from The B shop ang the M 10 shop in single roles in NSW so I would think you can do it in Vic, regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 19th September 2011, 19:16

Thanks David, it's on the list for tomorrow.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 19th September 2011, 19:47

Barbara,

I have a lovely Multiflora seedling (biggish plant at 2 yrs old) in a pot here that is looking for a new home. Would you like it to provide a source of understock material?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 19th September 2011, 20:03

Yes please. Very Happy Very Happy PM coming your way.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down