Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Please enjoy these photo's of my Rose's

+3
rosemeadow
The Lazy Rosarian
favdl
7 posters

Go down

Please enjoy these photo's of my Rose's Empty Please enjoy these photo's of my Rose's

Post by favdl 4th July 2011, 01:56

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Carefree Wonder"

"Iceberg"

"Name Unknown"

'Name Unknown"

"Name Unknown"

"Name Unknown"

"Name Unknown"

"Name Unknown"

"Name Unknown"

"Name Unknown"

"Name Unknown"
favdl
favdl

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Please enjoy these photo's of my Rose's Empty Re: Please enjoy these photo's of my Rose's

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th July 2011, 12:23

Frances, The one's I like are 5, 8, 9, 11.
The yellow, third from bottom is beautiful,
The red at the bottom is just wonderful and looks like a Camelia IMO
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Please enjoy these photo's of my Rose's Empty Re: Please enjoy these photo's of my Rose's

Post by favdl 5th July 2011, 00:24

My favourite is #4 ( the large yellow ), it has a beautiful perfume. It actually is the MOST fragrant rose out of all the type's of rose's I have so far.
favdl
favdl

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 5th July 2011, 10:56

Nice rose photos, Favdl !

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 5th July 2011, 22:22

How does 'Carefree Wonder' do for you? I have it here and it has been OK... but hardly 'carefree' (and hardly 'wonder' either Wink ).

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by favdl 6th July 2011, 00:40

My "Carefree Wonder" has always flowered and grown well, and I believe it would be even so much better if I could (hurry up and finish these garden renovations) get it out of its pot and plant it in the ground. I think it needs to stretch out its legs (roots) after being in that 'restrictive' pot for so long.
favdl
favdl

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 6th July 2011, 01:10

The orange one that was fifth from the bottom looks like a "France Libre".....

and your avatar looks like a "Tropical Sunset"....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 6th July 2011, 05:49

Hi,
the first yellow one could be Freesia and the second yellow one could be Gina Lollobrigida. Don't know about the third yellow one.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by favdl 11th July 2011, 00:52

Barbara B - Thank you so much. I believe you are correct on both counts. I read the info on HMF and it matches exactly.

Neptune - I think you are correct with the name of the rose you said looks like a "France Libre". I read and viewed the photos on HMF. It does match the description. And this photo on HMF looks the most like what I have (http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.13574). Strange thing though: It seems to change colour depending on where it is positioned. If it is positioned in part shade, part sun (like under a tree) it is more of an orange as you veiwed in the (#7)photo above. If it is in full sun the rose is more of a red. See attached photo below, that was taken a couple of years ago, when the rose bush was still in the ground rather than in a pot as it is now.

Not to sure about my avatar being "Tropical Sunset" though. That flower is not fully opened. The fully opened version is the photo #2 above and is from a 2 year old propogated rose growing in a pot under my patio. It has not seen much sun. The cutting is from a rose bush in my front garden. It's roses have a different colouring to it. See photo below.

[img][/img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
favdl
favdl

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11th July 2011, 17:44

One caution... Identfying roses by photos of their flowers can be notiously unreliable. The appearance of the flower depends on so many different factors such as age, climate, soil, nutrition, disease, etc. There are other less variable traits that give far more reliable results and I thought I might use this thread as a bity of a ID tutorial.

1. Be familiar with all parts of the rose. They are often unique to the particular variety. Useful photos of these features include:

• Mature leaf
  • Young leaf
  • Emerging leaves from buds
  • Autumn colour of leaves
  • Hips, if any
  • Thorns of a variety of ages
  • Rachis: the 'stem' running up the middle of the rose leaf; there may be prickles on the underside)
  • Stipules: at the base of each leaf, where it attaches to the stem, there is a flared section called the stipule. This can be smooth, fringed, or quite a few different forms. A fringed stipules, for example, often suggests a multiflora ancestory.
  • Buds at various stages of development to include the sepals. Sepals are the green leaves over the new buds. As they age they may perform in different ways. As the bud opens they may fully reflex backwards straightly or curved. These are very useful diagnostic features.
  • Stem colour/texture. Sometimes there is flakey bark etc
  • Flower at a variety of ages
  • Whole bush

Other features that may be useful include:

• Perfume
  • Bloom frequency. That is does it repeat continuously, in flushes, bloom only once, etc.
  • Does it sucker?
  • It's provenance... i.e. where did it come from?
  • Disease resistance

There are undoubtedly more features you could include and they would all be useful. I'mnot sure which camera you are using, but if it has a macro function this might prove invaluable for such purposes. It's also better to do just one rose at a time so a dosier can be uilt up for each one.

Hope this helps some. It's a good excuse to get out in the garden more too learn even more about your roses Thumbsup

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 12th July 2011, 08:40

Carefree Wonder is OK now but did lose a lot of leaves 3 months after planting. Hopefully a good breeder.

The few Carefree Beauty I have just dug are making good progress. Have great hopes for this one which is reported fertile and very easy to breed with.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by favdl 18th July 2011, 01:30

FYI- found out from the previous "green thumb" owner of my property that my avatar rose photo is a 'Woburn Abbey". Got his number off my neighbour, who has lived here for ages. He is coming over this week to help me ID some more of the rose's that he planted here on the property when he lived here. YAY!cheers
favdl
favdl

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 18th July 2011, 06:48

Well done Frances on the previous owner to help ID the roses for you. He would also be a man to talk to about what will and what won't grow in your area.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down