Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Sport of Mimas

3 posters

Go down

Sport of Mimas Empty Sport of Mimas

Post by Guest 19th May 2011, 14:05

Went out to check the roses today and found that Mimas , one of the roses I bred years ago had sported, dont know what to think about it yet , but I have put a tag on it so I don't prune it off. Here are a couple of pics, Mimas and the Sport of Mimas.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is two sports I have from Wendy crosses, This goes back to White Dream ,Wendy's seed parent, which supposably was a great giver of sports, looks like its starting all over again.

Back to top Go down

Sport of Mimas Empty Re: Sport of Mimas

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 19th May 2011, 16:27

Warren, as this is a 'sport' of "Mimas", can you explain how these things might occur. In my mind a stem grows from the "said" bush in a possibly different form or colour to the bush that was planted.
What colour do you think it started out at ?.
Next, do you think it is once or repeat ?
When can I have one roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19th May 2011, 17:30

Dave this piece from a scientific paper might that explain it, sports are referred to as chimera.

A plant is said to be a chimera when cells of more than one genotype (genetic makeup) are found growing adjacent in the tissues of that plant. Variegated plants are perhaps the most common types of chimeras, and certainly the most convenient example to use in presenting the basic concept.Chimeras arise when a cell undergoes mutation.

This mutation may be spontaneous or it may be induced by irradiation or treatment with chemical mutagens. If the cell which mutates is located near the crest of the apical dome, then all other cells which are produced by division from it will also be the mutated type. The result will be cells of different genotypes growing adjacent in a plant tissue, the definition of a chimera.(R.D. Lineberger)

From what I can gather from my experience is, flower , leaves and vigour can be changed. The Charlotte Graham Sport, flower colour has changed and bloom is bigger, leaves are bigger and glossy(parent leaves are matte) with greater plant vigour . The canes are twice as thick with a reddish tinge as with Charlotte Graham being green.

The Mimas sport there is no change in foliage or growth patterns, the change has occurred only in the flower,changing colour and losing petals but becoming larger.

The Charlotte Graham Sport ,repeat is probably better than the parent, but with the Mimas sport I dont know yet, I would say it will repeat like Mimas

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo 20th May 2011, 06:09

Warren, did you forget to feed this baby ? Possibly it will sport back under better conditions.
As Roses are known as one of the busiest mutants, it's necessary to observe the ladies for a couple of years, also to to know if they are "stable". But that's indeed, a great change.

David, maybe Churchill would have given us an answer, but you can ask him anymore Very Happy

Cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th May 2011, 06:26

Cheeky Bugger Bernhard, hope you well.
What did Churchill say scratch
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20th May 2011, 13:13

Bemo you reckon the Mimas sport is a big change, have a look at Charlotte Graham and her sport. As I said above the growth and vigour is greater as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 20th May 2011, 17:13

I have a bush of Abracadabra growing as a standard and it is a very unstable sport.
Most times I have plain bright yellow flowers , plain deep red flowers and red and yellow striped flowers all on the bush at the same time. It's just about to produce another flush of flowers and looks like it will be doing it again.

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20th May 2011, 19:56

Hi Rosalie, I went on HMF and looked up Abracadabra details and looking at the pics, seems to go through that process of throwing solid colours. Also had a look at its sporting parent Hocus Pocus which also is a sport, it seems to be just as unstable as Abracadabra , throwing solid colours. Quite honestly I cannot tell the difference between Hocus Pocus and Abracadabra, they look very similar, but then I am only looking at pics some one has taken and not in a real life situation.

When you see a variegated tree sprouting a green leafed branch the best remedy is to cut it back to the trunk where it started. Maybe with your rose, prune out those solid colour canes back to the starting point, and it may fix the problem. Just a thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo 21st May 2011, 03:34

roseman wrote:Cheeky Bugger Bernhard, hope you well.
What did Churchill say scratch
again improved my english, though 'cheeky' is an adjective only used for girls.

David, I still metioned that some time. He was against the mutants Shocked
When asked about his personal recipe for his old age, Winston Churchill answered: "First of all: No sports. Very Happy

Warren, the changes of Charlotte Graham are also interesting. I noticed that the lady is bred in 2008, maybe she has still not finished the juvenile phase ?

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21st May 2011, 07:59

Howdy Bemo, Charlotte Graham was registered in 2008 , was actually bred back in 2006.

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 21st May 2011, 16:26

Warren my son was bred in 2004 and he still has a lot of growing to do lol!
and you know what Bemo ? I'm with Winston on that one Thumbsup

I hear what you are saying re: Abracadabra Wozzer but I haven't really bothered about it because it does make a bit of a talking point when people visit ; it's not a rose that I would have bought for myself [firstly because it's a standard] but was given to me as a gift so it's much valued for that reason.
I have a double crimson flowering [and foliaged] almond out in the garden that threw a plain green branch a couple of seasons ago that I left on the tree .
The leaves were bright green and really much broader and vigorous that the coloured foliage which almost looks pinched by comparison even though it is not. When it flowered [the limb] flowered last spring it had these huge [well double the size of the red ones] bright baby pink pompom flowers . The two colour contrasts flowering together did make a very attractive picture but only the other day I very reluctantly cut out the green limb because I could see how it's vigor would soon see it dominate and eventually over take the crimson tree.
I wish I knew enough about budding or striking fruit trees to get the green one growing in it's own right.

This is Abcadab this afternoon.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I have it growing in a large tub just off the patio and currently it is very happy with it's companion planting ; some snow peas and self sown flat leaf parsley and forgetmenots. Laughing

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo 22nd May 2011, 02:31

Ozroz wrote:Howdy Bemo, Charlotte Graham was registered in 2008 , was actually bred back in 2006.
Howdy Warren,
maybe like Humans, some roses stay juvenile for ever.....

have a nice weekend
Bernhard

Bemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down