Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Seafoam

4 posters

Go down

Seafoam Empty Seafoam

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th March 2011, 06:42

This is a shot of a very hard cutback to a weeping standard 'seafoam'.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
it is/was planted 20 years ago. it was in a part of the yard we neglected for a time, all fixed now with mulch from my lucerne block, been fed and watered, with some good rain on it in the last week. Below is the shovel I used. roflmao
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I hope everyone enjoys my methods roflmao .
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Seafoam Empty Re: Seafoam

Post by Ozeboy 14th March 2011, 08:18

Would anyone like a seafoam or two. This is one rose I don't really need.

Excellent rose to turn people off roses forever.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 14th March 2011, 09:16

Actually, David, Would you like a small, newly struck, 'Seafoam' plant to plant near this one as a bit of an experiment?

My 'Seafoam' has been in for about 3 years now. It's big already and I hack it back to a manageable mound every year, an exercise that always results in bloodshed Rolling Eyes In the first year I had it and hacked it back I struck about 20 cuttings and have left them in the pot because, like Bruce, I'm not a huge fan of this rose because it is so thorny it should be registered as a lethal weapon and it's quite a disease magnet here.

So... your plant has been there are good long time. It represents an old source of the plant. I've been playing with an idea (in my head) that rose varieties change over time and it would be good to plant one of my newer ones, from stock that is intensively propagated by local chain stores, next to your beautiful old one to see if you notice any differences, especially in disease resistance.

Disease resistance can break down over time and what is disease resistant now may not be in 20 years time as diseases change and roses change and I always remember a wonderful big 'Seafoam' that grew right on the shore of Lake Macquarie (NSW) as a kid that was a picture of health. I was very surprised when mine turned out to be such a dud.

I have a plant of 'The Fairy' that has a trunk that thick, David Smile An old timer that was planted here when the house was first build in 1970. Such a great rose. Actually, I was expecting 'Seafoam' to grow like 'The Fairy', healthwsie, which added to my surprise when it was so different. 'The Fairy' is bullet proof and disease free here and 'Seafoam' is a mess.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th March 2011, 06:18

Yes Simon, The origin of the weeper is it came from the nursery I was at, so we have it is about 18 years old. The budwood came from David Ruston around 1989. One could only guess how old the plant is at his nursery.
I have always maintained the closer to the original plant the traits of it are there. The example is 'Peace' if you look at the colour of it now it appears to be nearly white, the wood we used at the nursery came from a very old plant in Mudgee and had the yellow/cream to the petals, interesting experiment Simon.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 16th March 2011, 10:26

Good on you David give that Seafoam a couple of hits with the Bobcat for me, swear as you are doing it " Take that from Mushroom you *#*#+*^#**" Seafoam *!^*&**#*!@.

I have a pretty good Peace plant which has good colour though is not quite as vigorous as it should be at around 900mm to 1200mm tall. I try really hard to find the oldest healthiest plants to use for clones (Budwood)

Yesterday I discovered a deep yellow Just Joey growing in front of a friends home with a southern aspect. It would no doubt be paler in a full northern aspect. Can't wait to get some wood from it for it is the best one I have ever seen.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 18th March 2011, 21:10

Seafoam as a star in my former garden. It just swalled the entire fence but was glorious. I loved the warm glow of its blooms in minus six degrees and its pure white in 41 deg. Those were the extreme temps in my Giardino del Rosa and I will have to search my pc to see if I can find any of the photos I must have take of it. Yes, its a thorny creature, but so hardy. My friend and I once spied it growing in some concrete cracks on an abandonded property in Kemp's Creek on the outskirts of Sydney. I recall it had been a long time without rain then.

I loved this rose and may yet grow it in this garden.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 19th March 2011, 10:10

Rita I have possibly 6 ownroot and they all have your name on them.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down