Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Hello, I'm Back...

2 posters

Go down

Hello, I'm Back... Empty Hello, I'm Back...

Post by shamous o'reily 17th January 2011, 11:44

Well, I am back from my holiday in New Zealand (did anyone notice I was gone... Crying or Very sad ). No Mobile, No internet, totally cut my self off and enjoyed a nice holiday. Now I'm frantically trying to get through a back log of unread posts... study

Visited Lady Norwood's Rose Garden in Wellington. Now, that's the kind of look I'm trying to get at my place, only I just need to move the boundry line back a bit This big! .

Must have been pretty windy whilst I was away, as I returned to 2 snapped off "Ingrid Bergman" standards, and 1 snapped off at bud union "Queen Elizabeth", not to mention a lawn smothered in gum leaves so deep, I can't see it? Shame about my standards, I had 4 ties on each (2 black grid locky things, and 2 velcro), but the wind still somehow got it. I have ordered their replacements to fill the 2 gaps for late winter, but I think I will try the stocking rap-around originally suggested to me this time.

I did have enough time spare on my return to finish off 3 months of land-scaping design and research to complete this years bare rooted order for some new garden areas as follows (on top of the damage replacements)....
6 x Alba Maxima
14 x Coussin Essie
2 x Kathleen Harrop Cl.
2 x Zephirine Drouhin Cl.
2 x Vielchenblau Cl.
2 x Lamarque Cl.
1 x Pinkie Cl. (thanks to suggestions here on RT)
1 x Renae Cl. (thanks to suggestions here on RT)
1 x Cupid Cl. (or as Margaret has pointed out to me is really Katie Pianto's rose)
8 x Golden Celebration Da
2 x Graham Thomas Da (this one stood out to me more than any other Da's when I last visited Ruston's)
4 x Sea Foam Weepers

Another 45 Roses to add to the collection. Sounds like alot, but when its planted, it doesn't seem to take up as much space as you would think. I was thinking about adding to the order about 25 "queen of sweeden" Da, to make a hedge to border a straight line in front of a raised rockery, but haven't seen a decent speciman as yet outside of the internet so not sure how it will grow in my climate and if it is healthy variety or not. Does any one here currently grow it that may recomend it for my intended purpose???

P.S - picking up my pre-ordered Iris's this week to...can't wait....

shamous o'reily

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-09-30

Back to top Go down

Hello, I'm Back... Empty Re: Hello, I'm Back...

Post by shamous o'reily 18th January 2011, 10:39

Hmmm, my 1st choice for "queen of sweeden" doesn't look promising so far, as it doesn't look like I can get it in Aus. Funny, I might be getting a bit mixed up, but I believe it was an Australian book on "old fashioned roses" that relvolved around alot of talk and pictures from Ruston's roses, that show-cases "queen of sweeden" as one of its write-ups that originally brought it to my attention. I checked the David Austin Web site, and it doesn't show on their Australian list. Looks like its available in EU and US. Phoned around half a dozen or so wholesalers just in case, but no luck. I'll start looking for a subsitute that I can test drive in my area before doing another bed out of it..... study

shamous o'reily

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18th January 2011, 13:15

QoS looks a lot like 'Heritage' to me.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down