Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Rootstocks

3 posters

Go down

Rootstocks Empty Rootstocks

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th January 2011, 06:51

So as not to "thread jack" the Rookwood thread I thought I would place my thoughts here. Ian as you said, the rose that your grandmother and mother had, why could it not be a rose in it;s self. I the the same of what might be HPO/galica or other rose. In early days rose would have been struck by cutting not bud/graft. Think back to our grandparent time and if you can "remember the rose that were handed from neibghour to niebghour, Lets see what others think of my "thoughts", Regard David.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Rootstocks Empty Re: Rootstocks

Post by Guest 6th January 2011, 11:04

I agree with Ian and David; I don't know how people decide that something was an understock unless there's written evidence or they see one shooting from below a scion. HPs don't seem like a good choice, since a good few of them sucker. But people have tried all sorts of things as understocks - even (currently) roses where they grossly overestimated how many they could sell.
The Rookwood whatever looks like what we call the "Buffalo Rose" in SA, because the family who own it say it was brought to SA on the first settler ship, the Buffalo, in 1836. However there are a lot of very similar HPs, and you'd need pics of receptacle/bud, prickles, hips etc to compare. I don't have the knowledge of HPs to do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 6th January 2011, 11:15

Good one David! Margaret, next time I go out there, I'll take my Canon EOS and tripod and try and get some decent shots as you suggest for IDing. I'm not good with HPs either, but I'm sure someone here is bound to be.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 6th January 2011, 15:02

Thanks for the additional info. My grandmother's rose may not be the same rose, but it sure looks similar. I notice a nice healthy sucker coming from it today, so I can send material down to you Margaret. But then I remember you saying that no soil can be sent for quarantine reasons. Is it okay to send bare root with all soil removed and dipped in a fungicide? Or can only cuttings/budding material be sent?
IanM
IanM

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 6th January 2011, 20:11

Ian, Margaret will correct me when she comes online, "but" the only place we can't send plants to are WA and Simon, unless we have certificates for transport of plant material
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 6th January 2011, 23:21

Yes I thought SA was okay too. At least I have sent plants there before in the past with no dramas, including ones still in their pots. Perhaps I shouldn't have. Oops!
IanM
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7th January 2011, 18:01

Fire-ants. if you're sending any soil you need a health certificate. (From Perth, it's green snails.) Bare-rooted should be OK provided it's clean.
Thanks,
Margaret

Back to top Go down

Post by IanM 7th January 2011, 18:27

Ok thanks Margaret. No fire ants here. They are only around Brisbane (so far at least). Anyway, can easily remove soil. That is no problem.
IanM
IanM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum