Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Sharpness

+2
Admin
Billndee
6 posters

Go down

Sharpness Empty Sharpness

Post by Billndee 1st December 2010, 21:43

Simon, how do you get your photos so sharp? Look at the OP Flordora seedling photo you have posted. The edges are beautifully sharp. Try as I might I can never get them that sharp. I use AV, spot metering, tripod, 80-300mm lens. I have a Pentax 200Super DSLR, 6mgp. I don't think it is the camera because it received a very high rating in the reviews when aI bought it.
Do you use a macro lens to get the extra sharpness?

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Sharpness Empty Re: Sharpness

Post by Admin 1st December 2010, 22:51

My macro is pretty good... but as I process them I also add sharpness because when you resize an image down you also introduce blurriness... a light sharpen is almost compulsory to keep it looking decent.

Last edited by Simon on 10th February 2011, 09:18; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 10th February 2011, 02:37

That's interesting because it's almost the opposite to how things operated with film photography. As you enlarged , detail got furry .

I'm looking for a DSLR now so I'm interested in what people have and why.
Prior to being introduced to the computer and digital age in 2005 I had an ongoing love affair with my Yashica .
The digital PHD's are fun and some of them are so tiny .... but I liked being able to do other things as well with my camera
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 10th February 2011, 09:40

Enlarging a digital print will also introduce the fuzzies by way of pixelation. Whenever you resize digital images there is a certain amount of digital 'interpretation' going on and so you need to apply digital darkroom techniques whenever you resize. I use two dSLRs. The first is the first Canon dSLR, the 300D. I bought this when I first moved to Norfolk Island 6 years ago. Since then I have concentrated on getting good lenses for it. I have a few good lenses now including a nice Sigma, F2.8, 105mm macro for rose portraits (great for people portraits too). If Canon is what you like, the 50mm, f1.8, prime is a must too. The other camera I use is a new Canon 450D that the school bought me to do the school magazine ( job I am handing over to someone else this year... it's just too much on top of everything else). I really like my Canon gear (for digital) and would love to buy their 'L' lenses ('L' stands for luxury... it's their high end pro lenses).

The 300D has served me well over the last 6 years and I firmly believe it's not so much the camera that makes the image but the control of the features... as it was when I was doing 35mm photography. The thing I mostly photograph these days is landscapes. I teach graphic design at the school I work at and digital darkroom techniques using photoshop is a big part of that. This one was taken with the 450D + a good Slik tripod etc, and is a series of 5 or 6 shots stitched together using photoshop (CS4):

Last edited by Simon on 19th February 2011, 13:33; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 19th February 2011, 11:53

I'm using a Canon 400d which I bought off a friend in Dec 09. I've now also added a Sigma F2.8, 24-70mm macro and recently purchased a Canon EFS F4- 55-250mm telephoto zoom lens. I haven't been out to test this yet, so most of the pics I've uploaded here have been with the Sigma lens.

I really miss my Vivitar macro zoom from the film days and can't get over how expensive lenses are these days! I also wish I had the knack for photography that I used to have pre digital and back in the days when my eyesight was much better. In those days, I had two cameras strapped over my shoulder wherever I went Crying or Very sad

Like Simon, I 'sharpen' my pics before I post them for the same reasons.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 19th February 2011, 14:07

I have a mental image of them being put through a pencil sharpener Laughing

I know zilch about photo shop or dressing up my pix , do you need fancy software to do this ?
OzRose
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 19th February 2011, 14:13

Nope.. you can get a free one that does a good job of everything here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 19th February 2011, 14:37

That's very funny OzRose - I love the imagery Razz This digital era with all its gadgets conjures up many an odd & hilarious mental picture.
RitaG
RitaG

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 19th February 2011, 16:14

I'm looking for a new camera too. My Canon A95 Powershot died and costs too much to fix. Thanks for the info. Any other thoughts?

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 19th February 2011, 16:21

What's your budget, Dave?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 19th February 2011, 16:53

Hello David, this site is great to help you with specs etc: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then when you decide what you want to buy, make sure you go on E-Bay first. I saved over $100 on my last lens by buying it from Hong Kong.

I've also loved Canon, so tend to stick with them. Also have an IXUS 75 (circa $200) which I use for work and family snaps. It does me fine, here are some samples:
A storm brewing on the Tamarama coast, Sydney
Lamarque @ Parra Park and, remember this handsome devil Wink
RitaG
RitaG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th February 2011, 07:01

Rita, are these shots, just shots or are they "touched up". the one of Tamarama is it Bronte beach in the background.
Can I assume the third picture is a smuggler named Dave C placing his contraband in a suitcase roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 20th February 2011, 07:14

Under $500 Simon. I really loved the Canon. Would like something similar.

LOL Roseman, Rita got the roses, I got the cucumber!

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 20th February 2011, 09:50

Hi David (M), no, these shots are not 'touched up' only reduced from their original size and sharpened slightly. Yes, the photo was taken at the Sculptures by the Sea from Tamarama Park overlooking Bronte Beach. It was Friday evening and an almighty storm was brewing.

David (C) was far from smuggling - he was delivering a very important ''house warming'' gift or two, one which grew to represent my avatar. BTW David (C), RR must really love the heat, she is producing some great coloured blooms without the balling just now, but its too hot to stand there with a camera, will see how the evening pans out.

The Canon IXUS75 is a great little camera, although it is limited it can still take a great shot. But it is small, light and very convenient to carry in your purse or briefcase and as you can see, it can take a mean shot. Here are a couple of others
Taken from NSW Library on Macquarie St in Sydney through a glass window.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sunrise at the Dawn Chorus, Clifton Gardens, Mosman Sydney[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Finally, the resident unknown yellow HT in my garden - can anyone tell me what it is please?
RitaG
RitaG

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 20th February 2011, 11:20

RitaG wrote:
Finally, the resident unknown yellow HT in my garden - can anyone tell me what it is please?

Sunburnt. Laughing
OzRose
OzRose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 20th February 2011, 11:23

Rita, Love the shot of Bronte beach, my grandparents had a house at the end of the park, western end, in Murray St, we would climb down through the pailing fence and swim at Bronte's Boggey hole as it was called as children then walk back up the park to have lunch at their place, then back to the beach.
Ice cones(shaved ice) with colourings was a treat in those days.
Do you remember the trams on the southern side of Bronte beach or is that before your time.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum