Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case)

+12
tambralyngar
Billndee
wphvet
Ozrosarian
rosemeadow
Meryl
Dave
Carole
Balinbear
The Lazy Rosarian
Ozeboy
Admin
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

If a new rose variety came onto the market and it was only once flowering would you buy it?

Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case) - Page 2 Vote_lcap231%Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 31% 
[ 4 ]
Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case) - Page 2 Vote_lcap238%Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 38% 
[ 5 ]
Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case) - Page 2 Vote_lcap231%Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 31% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case) - Page 2 Empty Re: Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case)

Post by wphvet 23rd June 2010, 16:49

I agree with the two last comments re the popularity of bright coloured,repeat flowering bush roses.
Its a commercial reason and whilst the buying public are ignorant about their purchase the market is really driven by the large growers,retailers and landscapers to a lesser extent. A corporatist world will tell you they produce what the public demands,but in reality they control and create that market.Its the other way around. We are influenced by the bright displays which scream" buy me" , its impulse buying. No mention you are obtaining a diseased, poorly structured and short lived plant.
The short longevity allows new ones to be marketed and the cycle continues.
That said, some growers are trying to improve disease resistance, I would not be without Aotearoa,lil Marlene, Tamora, or indeed Mr Lincoln. The yellow floribunda, sold under licence by Swanes called Sunny Boy is another which has no disease,and its yellow!
The overuse of Iceberg in boring landscaping has made it a purist laughing stock, but if grown as a shrub with light trimming ,with shears occasionally, it behaves like a mini Tea rose,masses of flowers,healthy foliage and a great structure.
Re once flowerers,its interesting that we ignore the fact that they flower with amazing vibrancy for sometimes 6-8 weeks, yet we all love Camellias, flowering gums, Tibouchinas etc etc which actually flower for sometimes a shorter period.

wphvet

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case) - Page 2 Empty Re: Poll about a new rose (hypothetical case)

Post by Admin 23rd June 2010, 19:30

Spot on... Thumbsup

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 24th June 2010, 22:06

Buy: nup
Freeby: yep

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 24th June 2010, 22:11

LOL Duh

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 6th November 2011, 21:20

A couple of reasons why non-repeat flowering is not everything

Alice Garnier
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Albertine
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th November 2011, 22:03

See... I'm with you, Gary. My rationale is that roses that don't flower all the time are able to channel more energy into their annual flush so that they actually put on a better display than most recurrent roses. 'Climbing Cecile Brunner' is putting on a show here at the moment... better than any other rose here by miles at this time of year.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tambralyngar 7th November 2011, 18:12

It would depend on the colour, fragrance and petals for me
tambralyngar
tambralyngar

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangohead 3rd December 2011, 17:47

Hi Simon,

This is a long way away from the original post (time wise) but I thought I would put my 'two bobs worth in'.

I am presuming the underlying question here is...if I saw a rose that I really liked BUT it was not free flowering would I buy it? Would I buy it - yes. I have plenty of shrubs that only flower once, (some, for only the briefest of time) that give me the greatest of pleasure - but they are worth it. Port Wine Magnolia is a case in point - it is probably my favourite shrub, and yet it has tiny itty bitty fragile flowers that bloom all too briefly... but the fragrance takes me to another zone. But that's another story...... lol! Blah Blah Blah
Mangohead
Mangohead

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd December 2011, 18:33

Off subject .. I agree Mangohead, we have 2 port wine magnolia's and I adore them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 3rd December 2011, 21:08

I do wonder if any of those who would not purchase a rose that did not repeat flower have any Iris's in their garden. We have heaps and even though they only flower for a few days I wouldn't be without them.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd December 2011, 21:44

I have Orchids. I can keep them alive but they never re flower. I think I need to do some research haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd December 2011, 21:45

Wet blanket comment here; nursery after nursery selling old roses goes bust. A modern spring-only rose without the street-cred of being old won't win in our climate zones (in countries where winter is hideous it's a different matter). Yes I grow lilacs etc but if I had the option of a repeat-flowering one, I'd choose it.

Back to top Go down

Post by helen 5th January 2012, 08:47

I would buy a once only flowering rose it was a perfumed variety. I like roses in a cottage garden setting and it wouldnt bother me flowering once if it flowered profusely. Smile

helen

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 5th January 2012, 08:51

Simon a once flowering very healthy Damask with great fragrance would be very worthwhile addition to my collection.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 5th January 2012, 09:48

Overall, I'd have to agree with Margaret. But, if I'd had my rathers - I now would have chosen the once blooming Albertine as a cover for my old shed, then the supposedly recurrent Climbing Red Pierrre. In fairness though, I'm not convinced that the plant I have is actually Clg RP.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by cabrissi 5th January 2012, 10:28

It would depend on the rose for me... if it's hardy, lush and nice fragrance? I would. The iris bloom only for a short time but I adore them. My rhododenrons and camellias likewise only put on a relatively brief show but oh... for the period they bloom, they pull out all the stops and 80 year old trees are solid pink from one end of the garden to the other.

cabrissi

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 6th January 2012, 09:57

It looks like quite a few of us love our Iris's. Very Happy
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 6th January 2012, 10:12

Looks like it Carole. I won my first Iris through the Ross' 2GB Gardening programme. It was called 'First Movement' and was one of the first Australian bred iris' from Rainbow Ridge in Galston. It was a beautiful soft apricot colour and alas, didn't bring any here with me when I moved, but I think I gave some tubers to a friend so may get a piece from her. I've only got a few blue ones here and they are actually still flowering for me ... must be this balmy weather we are having. One that I always wanted to get is called 'Eagle's Flight' - its a dual toned blue.
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th January 2012, 14:11

I have Eagle's Flight here somewhere.. I'm really over my iris. I love them but I hate how messy they look once they have finished flowering and the wind around here flattens them right when they are flowering... so I'm getting rid of them all except the dwarf ones as they can cope with the wind being closer to the ground.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2