Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

I caved & rescued a rose...a green one!!!

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I caved & rescued a rose...a green one!!! Empty I caved & rescued a rose...a green one!!!

Post by Guest 8th January 2010, 11:47

The poor things (2 plants in a fancy pot for Xmas) were in desperate need of a drink & had a fair bit of mildew but I got them reduced from $19.00 to $9.00 & gave them lots of water when I got home & they look much better already. I hope it always retains some - or better yet a lot - of the green no matter what the actual colour turns out to be...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

I caved & rescued a rose...a green one!!! Empty Re: I caved & rescued a rose...a green one!!!

Post by Admin 8th January 2010, 11:52

What is it?

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

I caved & rescued a rose...a green one!!! Empty Re: I caved & rescued a rose...a green one!!!

Post by Guest 8th January 2010, 11:53

It is just one of those "patio hit" roses gone wrong! LOL

Last edited by Damo on 8th January 2010, 11:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th January 2010, 12:32

Ah K.. it looked bigger than that from the photo... I've got a few of these and they are surprisingly good garden plants (here). 'Alicante' is one I really like!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th January 2010, 12:44

I will keep an eye out for 'Alicante'. I usually avoid buying this type of rose but the green is very eye-catching on this particular one; I noticed the photo doesn't quite show the depth of the green. The flower is bigger - and better - than any I ever got on 'Greensleeves' (a plant I do not miss). I cannot see any other colour in the flower apart from 2-3 small pink spots.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th January 2010, 14:44

The pink spots are fungal... the green colour is unusual. If it is a PatioHit® rose then it will most likely be here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have 'Andromeda' and 'Alicante'. 'Andromeda' gets green tinged flowers... they are hard to ID though and in trhe end I emailed good photos to Poulsen's directly asking them if they could ID them. 'Andromeda' is usually a cream colour (in the sun) and greeny in the shade (like a greenhouse).

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th January 2010, 14:53

The other thing I noticed is that in the ground they grow more than twice as large as they are when you buy them in pots. 'Alicante' will make flowers almost 10cm across now and they last for over 2 weeks on the bush (though it repeats painfully slow, makes next to no useable pollen that i have found so far and self-cleans so no good as a seed parent) and its leaves are twive as large as they were originally and seem to have lost some of the 'teeth' it had in the shop and the bush is almost 60-70cm tall now. Demands regular feeding but surprsingly resistant to spot and mildew. I've not been able to get 'Alicante' to strike yet... come winter though I'll be putting it's prunings into pots to see how they go. My plant is now in the ground and has made an amazing amount of new growth after initially dumping all of its leaves.. probably through transplant shock and I've just piled pea-straw around it deeply to feed it. I've just transplanted 'Andromeda' and think I may lose it (no biggie... I put it's pollen onto 'Scabrosa' a few weeks ago too), but all other ones are quite good. I cut them back by about a third after each flush of flowers and they seem to like this treatment.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 8th January 2010, 18:06

Simon I clicked on that link and got a warning that this site contains Malware and could damage your computer. So I didn't open it. Sad

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th January 2010, 20:35

The green rose will get well cared for now & I hope it grows like yours has Simon. I think I will cut it back by a third too. It will remain potted (had yet another visit from the dreaded wallaby again last night grrr so no planting out until I get better fences).

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th January 2010, 22:43

I don't get any such warnings Val??? Not sire what it's talking about Dunno

Damo... wanna borrow my dog? Tell him about my dog Dee Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th January 2010, 23:35

Haha I have 3 dogs here but they are inside - on my bed - at night so they are useless regarding property & rose protection.

The wallaby was rescued a few years back by my neighbour up the road & it now wanders the neighbourhood doing as it pleases (lots of grassy paddocks & bush around me). Makes me rethink my "be kind to all animals" rule! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 9th January 2010, 12:14

No... remember, someone (Immanuel Kant) once said "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 9th January 2010, 12:25

Simon wrote:No... remember, someone (Immanuel Kant) once said "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

I have always believed this to be true.

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9th January 2010, 18:33

And I would agree with that too (I have been a vegetarian for 20 years & don't even spray the mozzies LOL) & that is why I said "makes me rethink" & not "I am going to kill"...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th February 2010, 21:32

Update: The rose has turned out to be "Monte Rosa". It is cream-apricot tinged with green. The pic below is of a new flower (after I brushed 6 million aphids off it hahahaha) so it is very green right from the start...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17th February 2010, 22:01

How do you know the ID Damian?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th February 2010, 22:06

The exact same rose - but grown as standards - were at a Bunnings. The name was on a sticker attached to the pots. I took a pic of the bloom wth my phone & a leaf home for comparison.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17th February 2010, 22:36

Hmmm - will have to put up a pic of mine for comparison... I didn't know they grew Poulsen roses as standards Dunno there you go...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th February 2010, 22:44

Do you have "Monte Rosa" Simon?

There are standards of these roses everywhere up here in Bunnings & Big W etc...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17th February 2010, 22:46

I have a patiohit/parade/poulsen rose that I am trying to ID. It also gets a green tinge... closest I could find was 'Andromeda'.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th February 2010, 22:48

The thing that drew me to the standards were the awful green with pink spots flowers as seen in my first pic here. LOL!!! They also had newer flowers (that I took the pic of) but I had to wait for mine to flower.

Just a quick question for you Simon. Do you know if the rose "Suntan" sets hips/seed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th February 2010, 22:51

Oh OK! Is yours pale creamy apricot?

I will get a pic of mine when it is fully open!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17th February 2010, 23:04

I have a pic somewhere... it's struggling to live atm as I moved it into my new mini garden... starting to pick up again... don't reckon I'll get any more flowers this season. It's kinda creamy... maybe apricot tinge... can't remember... thing that stood out was the green cast.

'Suntan' does set a few OP hips. Every attempt at pollinating it has failed for me so far though I have only used 'Mutabilis' and 'Safrano' on it. I have used it's pollen on things and think I have a take on 'Wild Rover' but will have to double check. Most flowers self-clean... so not the most cooperative parent I've seen Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17th February 2010, 23:06

The flower is quite a bit bigger than a lot of parade roses from memory.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th February 2010, 23:14

Oh OK well I will take more pics of mine along the way just in case you wish to compare in the future. I always look for stickers on pots now BTW but they don't appear very often unfortunately.

Thanks so much for the "Suntan" info Simon, it is such a nice little rose. I will give it a go next season. "Wild Rover" x "Suntan" sounds like a cross I would do...imagine the possibilities. I have a few hips swelling nicely on my "Wild Rover" with pollen from "Grimaldi", "Papageno" & "Temple Bells".

Just saw your newest post. The flowers on my green rose/ "Monte Rosa" are a similar size to "Route 66".

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next