Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Autumn Reflection.

+3
Admin
Ozeboy
Billndee
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Autumn Reflection. Empty Autumn Reflection.

Post by Billndee 26th April 2009, 22:29

We have had some nice rain lately and the temperature is dropping steadily from the high teens to the low teens. Snow down to 700 metres predicted for this week. It will miss us though, we are lower than that.
The roses are doing a final bloom. New Dawn is looking good with sprays of pale pink blooms spiking skywards. Pink Perpetue is putting out a flush of brigh pink. And my new little Jubilee Celebration is flowering its little heart out. I think this rose has a big future in my garden.
Other varieties are showing a flower here and there.
I never seem to get on top of the black spot problem. We are too slack with regular spraying. So I am going to get rid of the worst offenders. Australian Centenary of Federation is going to get the chop. It loses all its leaves in the summer. I have a new red called Temptress which has grown like a bush, sending up long sprays and flowered all summer. I think I will strike that to replace ACOF.
Any others that have been miserable bloomers and unthrifty are going to get potted up and sold off at a local market next summer. They may do better in someone else's garden.
To save changing soil so another rose can go into the same spot I think I will plant dahlias in the gaps for a few years. Bill will be very pleased not to have to barrow soil from one place to another.
So it is time for reflecting on the season's performance and plan changes. A gardener's job is never finished! Just as well, what else would I do?

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Autumn Reflection. Empty Re: Autumn Reflection.

Post by Ozeboy 27th April 2009, 06:18

Hi Dee, I am also reflecting on the last 15 years in rose growing and have come to the conclusion that all HT's and DA's are problems in my area.
We have had extremely wet weather during the past two months and I haven't sprayed at all as I don't think it makes a great deal of difference.
Two days ago I started removing all the dead or dying canes just to tidy up a bit for a few early winter blooms.
I cut more dead wood from the DA's than any others followed by yellow or apricot HT's and then all other HT's . Reasonable HT's were Princesse de Monaco, Kardinal, Elina, Aquarius and an unknown I call Lisa Treloar as all attemps to identify it have failed. The Tea's only needed dead heading as there was no dead canes and vertually nothing to remove.
I think you could offer a reward of $500 for anyone who could come up with a healthy DA or Yellow HT and your money would be safe.
I have contemplated growing Dahlias and tossing out all those rotten unhealthy roses but am going to give the Tea's and AC's a good try as a last resort. Have budded a lot of Tea's this season with breeding in mind . Was going to germinate a lot of seeds but can't see a future in using DA's and HT's so will have to wait for the breeders to mature.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27th April 2009, 09:28

Well I have had a great season, very little PM due to out hot days I would say, and yes still lots of buds and a few in their last flowering times now, and yes I will be culling a few and popping in the best of the potted roses, then more room for more pots LOL, I will be taking 2 weeks of in mid Winter for the big chop Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 27th April 2009, 21:03

Yes... I've been reflecting on the rose year that was too Dee... So I now unceremonioulsy dubb this year... the year of the weed LOL. Dee... I'll be digging up my big purple and gold dahlias this year and moving them. Would you like some? I have to find a place where they can spread out a bit more and are less battered by the wind.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 28th April 2009, 17:43

Yes! yes! I would love your big purple and gold dahlias! We should be coming up your way sometime before spring.
I am looking at the 20-30 rose bushes I am going to cull in light of where I could put 8-10 Tea roses. There is not a spot available.
Sad
Every rose that is going is either going to make space for its neighbour on each side or the spot is too shady for a Tea. Sad
I think i will have to postpone buying my new Teas until I can work something out.
I still have room for dahlias though. Also I need to think of something low and fluffy to grow in the beds that don't get a lot of sun.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th April 2009, 01:24

You might regret putting these dahlia in Dee Shocked The purple one takes up an area 6ft wide and grows to about 5ft tall. Not really what I'd call a 'gap filler' lol! That's why I am moving it. I moved it from a spot on a slope where the wind raced over it and broke it. The area it went to, next to my big buddleja (Black Knight), was about 4ft x 4ft... 'Maurice Utrillo' is next to it. Poor Maurice has been overgrown by the dahlia two years running now... so it's time they came out and were moved again... I have just the spot for them in front of the new trellis 'frames' for the climbing roses out of the wind. The gold one seems much more restrained and has a much bigger flower in a deep coppery/gold. Both are really lovely but the purple one.... talk about roses taking over a garden affraid

It's been a cold start to winter here too... got down to 1 degree last night and expecting our first frost tonight... will be keeping a close eye on the Teas during all this but think they will handle it just fine. Dee... did you know there is a photo of a row of Mons. Tillier in the new Tea book on page 4 taken at Port Arthur? If they can make it there.. they can make it anywhere in Tas I reckon.

Last edited by Simon on 29th April 2009, 22:27; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 29th April 2009, 21:49

Simon does this purple dahlia have a big dinner-plate flower? I have a spot for it I think. Thanks for warning me about the size.
I was going to order the Tea book from the library today but we were too late getting there. I have heared about the hedge in Port Arthur but I have not seen it. Interestingly places on the coast like Port Arthur generally are warmer than our frosty, foggy valley because of the water tempering the climate.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th April 2009, 22:34

This is the purple one Dee. I guess the flowers are a bit larger than a hand-span (see 'Maurice Utrillo' trying to stick its head out from under the Dahlia on the lower right side of the clump). These photos were taken in summer, 2008. The clump has grown significantly since then.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is the large coppery/gold one:

Abbi... Since you are also a fellow Tasmaniac would you also like some of these?

Last edited by Simon on 1st May 2009, 19:55; edited 2 times in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th April 2009, 23:17

Dee... did you freeze last night? We got our first frost last night as expected (lots of dew, freezing cold, and no wind or clouds)... almost looked like it had snowed this morning. Going to be an even bigger one tonight I reckon... so cold here atm.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 30th April 2009, 10:00

Simon, They are love fantastic.Do they grow from seed as my little bedding ones do ? Carole
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30th April 2009, 17:00

I've looked for seed and never found any Carole... and I've never found any seedlings around... so in my garden... probably not... never know what they might do in a warmer climate though Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30th April 2009, 20:50

WOW I would be happy with a show like that love

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 1st May 2009, 18:19

YesSimon, Frosty nights = cold nose. Abbi thinks she has moved to the tropics though. Suspect roflmao

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 1st May 2009, 18:34

affraid And how is Abbi going I miss her Twisted Evil and still waiting to see pics of the new place as well Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 1st May 2009, 20:04

I think she is very happy.
I am enjoying her company very, very much too. I hope she never moves away.

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 1st May 2009, 20:35

Hang on one minute second I think I am lost - Abbi did you not live in the N. Tablelands and is not that warmer than where I am in the Central Tablelands and is not Tasmania colder than either of them. I am absolutely confused if this is right why Dee did you say Abbi thinks she has moved to the tropics. I have got something wrong or I have missed something. My head is spinning Stunned Please Cheryl, Abbi or Dee explain it to me. confused Carole
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 1st May 2009, 23:00

Ha Ha! Poor Carole! No wonder your head is spinning!
The other day we had our first frost. The temp was around -.5, only just a frost.Us proper Tasmanians were complaining but Mr and Mrs Abbi were scoffing at us and didn't even have much of a jumper on 'cos, where they have just come from the frost can be -12!!!
Apparantly ya can be a lot further south and as long as you are near the coast it will not be as cold as being inland and up high. At least that is the yarn they have spun me. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 1st May 2009, 23:23

I have just checked the temp here and it is 4 .4 I have a great roaring fire going. 2 jumpers on. I cat on the bed and 4 cats in front of the fire. I cannot understand Mr. & Mrs Abbi . Look on the bright side if they are happy with that temp. there heating bill should be low. (you are not reading this are you Abbi Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ) Carole
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 2nd May 2009, 21:16

AHA! I thought my ears were burning....... Very Happy

Thee, I must pm you some pics. Sorry I'm not online much these days.
I am very happy here, and it's not as cold as the tablelands. I'd call it brisk and refreshing!

I 'm enjoying Billndee's company very much, and smelling those beautiful roses in her garden, as well as seeing them. We also go on "explore Tassie" adventures.

We had another adventure today, getting lost in the maze of forestry roads through the hills, that don't appear on any maps. Great fun and unbelievable scenery.

Simon, I would like some dahlias, especially that gold one. Thank you for the offer.

Carole....it's true, in fact we've seen minus 15 degrees in N. tablelands. Sometimes people confuse places like Tamworth with the tablelands. it's much hotter down in the valley. They've already had severe frost where we used to live, and -5 at night.

Dee, you say the nicest things............... Embarassed

Last edited by Abbi on 2nd May 2009, 21:22; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : omission)

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 2nd May 2009, 22:25

Abbi, We live on the C. Tablelands and I thought that the further North you went the warmer it got Embarassed . David told me that Armidale, and round that area are much colder than us. So sorry, big mistake on my part. It sounds like you are really enjoying living in Tasmania and having a great time with Dee. The Dahlia's we loved the gold one too. Carole.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th May 2009, 08:15

I'm so glad your settle and Bill n Dee are looking after you both Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi 7th May 2009, 20:12

Thanks, Thee.

Trying to get gardens happening. seems the first requirement is a wallaby proof fence all around the garden area.

Dee is going to go through the rose catalogue with me tommorrow and help me choose the right ones. Will roses be Abbi's latest addiction? It's hard not to want them now I've seen Thee's and Billndee's gardens.
Gold Star Rating cheers

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 7th May 2009, 20:39

You won't be sorry except ofcourse for the thorns Sad
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th May 2009, 12:33

YaY let us know what you decide on Abbi and I have a new rose garden since your visit lol!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and today ......

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee 8th May 2009, 22:21

Thee, that is very beautiful.What a wonderful lot of flowers for late autumn! i would love your green thumb. Or is it energy!

Billndee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next