Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Diamond Jubilee and Royal Highness

4 posters

Go down

Diamond Jubilee and Royal Highness  Empty Diamond Jubilee and Royal Highness

Post by dannyboy 14th August 2014, 19:15

Hi guys any of our members grow these roses and if so how do they find them.Cheers

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Diamond Jubilee and Royal Highness  Empty Re: Diamond Jubilee and Royal Highness

Post by Ausrose 14th August 2014, 19:43

Oldies but goodies.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Diamond Jubilee and Royal Highness  Empty Re: Diamond Jubilee and Royal Highness

Post by dannyboy 14th August 2014, 21:07

Ausrose wrote:Oldies but goodies.
.Lool thats very true ausrose there old roses،but still popular from what I found over the internet.How do they keep with our hot summers.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 15th August 2014, 02:24

Dannyboy I have had two bushes of Diamond Jubilee for over twenty years and I have found no problems with heat. They are vigorous and throw more water shoots than any other rose I grow. The blooms have fragrance and still do well on the show bench in the exhibition class despite being around since 1947. I think I am going over old ground here but the buds are ugly looking as though they have been misformed but they turn into magnificent blooms as they open. The old timers tell me it is one of the few roses that hasn't degenerated over time. In other words plants budded today are good as those budded back in the late forties.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 15th August 2014, 03:36

Ausrose wrote:
Dannyboy I have had two bushes of Diamond Jubilee for over twenty years and I have found no problems with heat. They are vigorous and throw more water shoots than any other rose I grow. The blooms have fragrance and still do well on the show bench in the exhibition class despite being around since 1947. I think I am going over old ground here but the buds are ugly looking as though they have been misformed but they turn into magnificent blooms as they open. The old timers tell me it is one of the few roses that hasn't degenerated over time. In other words plants budded today are good as those budded back in the late forties.

Thanks ausrose for the great insight very helpfull.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th August 2014, 06:29

Danny we have 'Royal Highness' growing here in Mudgee, as Doug says the initial bloom does look a bit 'ugly', then surprisingly turns out a beautiful flower. Like a lot of roses if the buds are about to open when there is a lot of rain they do spoil a bit, but not overly so. A fantastic colour.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 15th August 2014, 06:40

love diamond jubilee, healthy performer and nice blooms and the perfume is a bonus
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 15th August 2014, 09:54

Thanks roseman and jordan.Great pics Jordan.Roseman how do you find the frangrance of royal highness.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 15th August 2014, 13:32

Danny, IMO it is not as strong as Camp David which is next to it, but I could be wrong.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 16th August 2014, 03:56

Danny-boy I grew Royal Highness many years ago and found it to be a good grower but a little short on blooms. The blooms were of good form for the NSW bunch class however I found them almost impossible to keep clean so eventually I dug it out and gave it away. I have come along way since those days and generally I can keep roses similar to Royal Highness clean. These days I grow five bushes of Bride's Dream (Fairytale Queen/Marchen Konigin) which is very similar in colour to Royal Highness and these bushes grow like a weed and are covered in blooms. One problem I have encountered with them is if they become defoliated during summer they sunburn badly.

Last edited by Ausrose on 16th August 2014, 08:43; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 16th August 2014, 04:15

Thanks Ausrose.I like my old roses that are still classics and can compare to the new stuff now.I have seen Fairytale Queen this season at Bunnings in a bag ,but how much can you collect lol.Another pale pink I love to is Mothers Love very good rose of nice form,health and a sweet perfume.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 16th August 2014, 04:43

I agree with you Dannyboy there are so many good roses about but one has only so much room to plant the same. You will notice when I evaluate a rose fragrance is of little importance and form and growth habit are. It is not that I don't appreciate fragrance but as an exhibitor it is of no consequence. This is why I prefer Bride's Dream to Royal Highness as although the former has little or no fragrance it is more vigorous than Royal Highness and carries many more blooms. The bloom form of both roses is appropriate for the show bench.

Last edited by Ausrose on 16th August 2014, 08:35; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 16th August 2014, 06:06

I have just finished reading your two posts gents which were posted at some ungodly hour, don't you two ever sleep. The thing that caught my eye was the 'Brides Dream' Doug, I had not heard of it so went to HMF, low and behold who one of it's patents are, see link below,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I do like the colour and form of the bloom
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 16th August 2014, 10:00

Interesting to note that Royal Highness is one of the parents of Brides Dream.Another pink Im trying this year is First Prize.Roseman you know my working hours lol !.

dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down