Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Freebies from Treloars

+8
The Lazy Rosarian
SueH
brettv68
dannyboy
Ausrose
neptune
muscovyduckling
LouiseJB
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Freebies from Treloars Empty Freebies from Treloars

Post by LouiseJB 21st July 2014, 15:13

Hi All,
I received my order from Treloars today. They are good quality plants that arrived in good condition.  The free roses that came with the order were the DA Benjamin Britten, ground cover Amber Sun and the Hybrid Tea Modern Crusader. Has anyone grown or growing them? And what do you think of them? Love to hear your comments whether they be good, bad or indifferent!
Cheers and Thanks,
Louise☺

LouiseJB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-06-01

Back to top Go down

Freebies from Treloars Empty Re: Freebies from Treloars

Post by muscovyduckling 21st July 2014, 16:43

Hahah, does that mean you dropped over $300 at Treloars? I feel better about my rose addiction knowing I'm not alone Smile
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by LouiseJB 21st July 2014, 16:59

There are more rose addicts out there than you think! And I'm happy to say I'm one of them😉

LouiseJB

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 21st July 2014, 17:15

Hehe brilliant Smile I just keep telling my husband "there are worse things to be addicted to".
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 21st July 2014, 17:25

Help is on its way girls.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by LouiseJB 21st July 2014, 20:25

I like to think it is a healthy addiction, can't wait to walk around the roses in full flower and just absorb the peace.
As for the men in white jackets, I'm sure they will be making several stops.😋

LouiseJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 21st July 2014, 23:33

I received Modern Crusader as a free rose last season and placed it in a holding pot to check it out. It has had a number of flowers and from what I have seen to date it won't make it as an exhibition bloom.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyboy 22nd July 2014, 04:31

Twice I have ordered from Treloars and never again roses have been of poor quality both times not up to standard for the money you pay.I know of one nursery and one hardware shop garden section who ordered from them this year and werent happy  with the stock they got and returned them back as the roses were like twigs and poor.

dannyboy

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2012-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 22nd July 2014, 05:43

Dannyboy the first lot of roses I ever ordered were as I believed not up to standard so I rang Treloars and spoke to the late Ted Treloar to express my disappointment. He told me to plant the roses and if I was still unhappy in twelve months time he would replace or refund. After twelve months I was more than happy. Some years later I received two free roses of Marilyn Monroe and they no bigger than a small weed. I was going to throw them away however the AQ convinced to place the roses in pots and see what happens. Six years on I have two 6ft Marilyn Monroe bushes. The third story relates to five bushes of Flemington Racecourse(Chapman) from Ross Roses. A  NSW rosarian I know who purchased the five bushes of Flemington Racecourse(Chapman) was most disappointed when they arrived when they were the size similar to the Marylin Monroe mentioned earlier. He was convinced to plant them now he has five 7ft floribundas whose blooms have won numerous champion and grand champion ribbons.

Last edited by Ausrose on 22nd July 2014, 07:32; edited 2 times in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by brettv68 22nd July 2014, 06:18

It is the risk you take ordering bagged roses online, you get what you get. Wont mention where I ordered from but I got four bagged roses recently and they are dreadful. Unfortunately being in Qld we don't have the opportunity to go to rose farms and hand pick our bagged rose purchases.

As for freebies I don't agree with the concept. Generally you end up with roses that you would never of bought, I would rather see a discount applied once a certain dollar figure has been reached.

Cheers
Brett
brettv68
brettv68

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by brettv68 22nd July 2014, 06:22

I should also say I have ordered many roses from Treloars and in the main they have been good quality. I have also received free roses most of which I gave away to my neighbours as they were roses that weren't on my radar and I have little space for unwanted roses.
brettv68
brettv68

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd July 2014, 09:00

Yep, my freebie from Treloars is small and twiggy but I'm still going to plant it and hope for the best.

If I got a freebie I didn't like I would give it to someone at work, or to my massage guy who is married to a keen gardener.

I also ordered from Misty Downs this year and they have a freebie setup which is pretty good - if you spend over a certain amount you can list 3 roses that you would like for free and they choose one of your selections and send it out.

To Louise - I'm sorry, I have no experience whatsoever with your freebies, so I can't help you there!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 22nd July 2014, 09:01

I should add that all the other roses from Treloars that I received have 2 or 3 big fat strong healthy looking canes each. I don't know a lot about roses but they look like very good quality to me.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 22nd July 2014, 12:20

Does anyone know when Treloars has their sale?

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd July 2014, 12:41

Louise,
we have, Benjamin Britten, it is neglected like all our roses and does well, so with some TLC it will perform good for you, being a DA I would give it a 'bit" of a sheltered area, not all bay sun up your way.
Danny,
if it was my order I would have contacted them with your concerns, if not satisfied ask for someone higher up the food chain, if you have not already done so.
Brett,
I tend to stay with the same companies, they get to know you and it is my belief they send better plants. In relation to freebies when ordering I place the variety I am after, lets say Rugosas, whatever it maybe.
Zoe,
it is/was Noel at Misty that gave me that idea of supplying names(varieties)
Sue
as you are in Vic, can you not use the toll free phone number and ask, Barry Dunne is the man to ask, head of sales. Hope this helps.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 22nd July 2014, 12:59

The free rose that you get from these depends on what you order and also what people don't order.

We got Cathedral City from Treloar's which we are still contemplating whether to plant it or not. Not real keen on the colour.

Mistydowns asks you to supply three choices which they usually choose from but this year we received one that was not on our list (the ones on our list were three of the rarer ones and we more or less expected this). It's a nice rose (we already have a couple of them and it will fit in) so we are not upset about it.

Bagged roses in general nearly always look a bit off or weak (especially if they have been sitting about for a bit), however, we have not had any worries with them. Roses are (in general) notoriously strong plants and once they get their rots into the ground they can grow from the most amazingly weak situations.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 23rd July 2014, 02:57

As I mentioned earlier my experience has been not to judge the roses when they arrive but after you have grown them for a couple of years. In my most recent order from Thomas for Roses I have a bush of Isn't She Lovely and one of Bridget's Joy that are well developed roses and two Sharon Louise(Parkes) that are very under developed despite the difference  I know in couple of years time you won't tell the difference as a matter of fact the two Aussies will be much bigger than the other two as that is the way they grow. I should point out that Glenys Thomas told me she only had very young plants of Sharon Louise(Parkes) and it might be better to wait until next year. As I really wanted the rose I told her I would be quite happy with the younger bushes as I would put them in pots for a year.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 23rd July 2014, 18:38

I've only ever received good, sturdy stock from Treloars. Other companies have sent smaller plants but they've still done ok.
My main problems are to do with my specific location so I'm trying to plant bare-rooted into pots from now on and then plant them out once they are more established.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 23rd July 2014, 19:31

AD many years ago Dr Bruce Chapman told me it was a good idea to plant new bare rooted roses in a pot for a year. This serves two purposes. It gives the rose time to develop without competition and it gives you a look at the flowers so you can decide whether the rose is one you want.

I haven't observed it enough as yet but I get the feeling the thickness of the root stock determines th dimensions of the canes to a degree. When the AQ buds it is on multiflora about the thickness of a man's little finger and when the canes grow they are proportionate in size to the size of the rootstock. This is only a.hypothesis at this that I will investigate further during the budding season.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinhel 9th August 2014, 00:15

I would love my freebies from Treloars ..actually I would love my new roses Sad ordered end of June for dispatch early July ...I received an email on Friday to say there is a delay ,,,cant say how disappointed I am this year Sad( and I have been so patient,,havent called them to say where are $#@# roses either ...sighhh one day as I read everyone else seems to have theirs Very Sad
Kinhel
Kinhel

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 9th August 2014, 08:37

Kinhel wrote:I would love my freebies from Treloars ..actually I would love my new roses Sad ordered end of June for dispatch early July ...I received an email on Friday to say there is a delay ,,,cant say how disappointed I am this year Sad( and I have been so patient,,havent called them to say where are $#@# roses either ...sighhh one day as I read everyone else seems to have theirs Very Sad

Ours actually arrived too early. They are in pots waiting for me to finish off the garden renovation.

Like normal there appears to be way too many roses in the pots for the space and then there are the 15 we retrieved from a garden in Maleny and the 50 odd cutting grown ones.... Ah well one less horse paddock is not going to hurt.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinhel 9th August 2014, 08:46

I was just reading about all your Renovations ..sounds wonderful and a lot of work.. I have a stack of ones in pots that I "rescued" from Big W and Bunnings to fill in my excitement while I waited for the others ....but soem of them have powdery mildew so trying to get rid of that first oh oooo

..so looks like I should be just worrying about getting them into the ground first..... lol patience grasshopper

Ah to have a spare horse paddock !! Lucky duck Wink

Kinhel
Kinhel

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 9th August 2014, 10:44

Oh no Sad They are definitely coming though?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinhel 14th August 2014, 10:41

muscovyduckling wrote:Oh no Sad They are definitely coming though?

Well Smile ...I rang them today as its now even 8 days after their email that said they would be sent 1-7 days I thought had better check as you say !! What really disappointed me was no correspondence had been sent to me the whole time to apolgise for the delay or let me know what was going on until then...
Im the patient type !!! ...No they still hadnt got them ready to be sent yet... seeing as I have called today she said they would probably be sent out to me next week sometime ...but I had to realize they had alot of Winter orders .. not very apologetic at all Im afraid ..
I have two weeks before the season ends elsewhere and no show with these new roses as they wont be in time !! Sad so Not Happy Jan ... they said I put in for late Jul Delivery ,,,noooo I ordered for Delivery early July and it had taken a week for it to be processed to my credit card .....
So I sit & wait ....and wait ...and wait ....
Never had this problem before with them..... Sad( and Ive stood up for them over the years too..... Crying or Very sad ... can I find any positives in this ?? Im struggling
Kinhel
Kinhel

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 14th August 2014, 13:23

Helen, did you get a Australia Post tracking number ?
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next