Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

A bit dodgy

+2
SueH
muscovyduckling
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A bit dodgy Empty A bit dodgy

Post by muscovyduckling 30th May 2014, 15:31

I was at Bunnies the other day and I thought I'd just take a quick peak at their bagged roses. Well, they had 'Zephirine Drouhin' there, with a few specimens to choose from, and ALL of the canes on these that we're poking out of the bag were covered in thorns.

I wonder what it really is?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

A bit dodgy Empty Re: A bit dodgy

Post by SueH 30th May 2014, 16:00

Which Bunnies did you go to?  I'm probably not far from you.  I'm going to go to my local one tomorrow to hunt for climbers.

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 30th May 2014, 16:28

I was at the Narre Warren one opposite Fountain Gate, but I sometimes go to the one in Knoxfield (if I'm visiting their competitor, which is directly across the road), or I stop in at the Vermont South one if I'm on my way home from work. Where are you Sue?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 30th May 2014, 16:29

The Vermont South one has a very well stocked garden centre, for a hardware store.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 31st May 2014, 12:05

I'm in Narre Warren, just north of the freeway junction on Narre Warren Road North.  I have a son in Gembrook.  Just love that place!  Smile

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 31st May 2014, 12:07

Oooh forgot to say I'll check out the Zephirine Drouhin while I'm there.  Thorns?  Hmmmm.....

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 31st May 2014, 12:34

Oh wow, I'm in Belgrave South, about 10 mins up the road from you! I must drive past your house all the time.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 31st May 2014, 12:52

Oooh!  We're neighbours!!  Perhaps you wouldlikee to meet up for a coffee sometime?  We could terrorize Bunnings!!  A bit dodgy 4103835267

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 31st May 2014, 18:34

Sounds like a great idea! Poor Bunnies, they won't know what hit 'em. Hahaha.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 1st June 2014, 07:03

The North Penrith Bunnings also had the rose you describe. I found it disappointing
that I couldn't find one Australian bred rose among those on sale. I would be interested to find out if any of my fellow posters found any Australian bred roses in Bunnings, Masters, Big W etc.  Many years back I bought 5 Imps(Dawson) from Big W. Blooms from these went on to win numerous champion ribbons culminating in a grand champion ribbon at the Sydney Royal Easter show.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 1st June 2014, 13:26

Doug, is it common for these bagged roses to be incorrectly named.  I bought Z. Drouhin this morning from Bunnings and it has thorns on it!  i thought this one was thornless.

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 1st June 2014, 13:37

Ausrose, I did see Black Boy at Bunnies, but that was the only Aussie that I saw.

Sue, I am very curious about what your ZD grows up to be! I have her sport, Kathleen Harrop, and the canes are 100% smooth. I wonder if it might be Mme Isaac Perriere or similar.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud 2nd June 2014, 09:06

I will definitely be checking the rose against the label more carefully next time I'm tempted to purchase something from b...s - hope you can set them straight next time you visit Mad 
rosebud
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 2nd June 2014, 16:20

Want to come with us rosebud?  Muscovy and I are going to sort them out over a coffee!!! 

Zoe, weeeell..... I don't know what the outcome will be!  I do lurrve surprises!! LOL  Happy Dance or  Duh

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 2nd June 2014, 18:34

I know, I thought when I saw it "maybe I should buy that and see what it is". Then I thought "you idiot, you've already ordered far too many roses. Just stop now".
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 10th June 2014, 13:25

Ausrose, Sue and I went on an excursion to Bunnies and Masters today. Masters had Imp as a standard, and Bunnies had Black Boy, but those were the only two Aussie roses I saw.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 10th June 2014, 14:11

Thank you muscovyduckling as the information you have provided indicates where Australian bred roses are at and information such as this and other information I have shows there is still a lot of work to be done to establish Australian bred roses as main stream roses.

If any other rosarians have found any Australian bred roses in stores please let me know as the more information I have the better I can prepare strategies to overcome the problem of what I see as a general lack of interest in Australia bred roses.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 10th June 2014, 21:09

Oh, I forgot to say, Ausrose, that I'm still a newbie and I'm definitely not an expert on Australian bred roses, so there could have been others there that I didn't realise we're Aussie! But I don't think so.

They did have the Daniel Morcombe rose, but I'm not sure who the breeder of this rose is.
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 10th June 2014, 21:33

Doug, went to Big W and they had hundreds of bare root roses from some company in the eastern states, but no Australians in that lot........I think they came from the "Rose Company".......
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinhel 14th June 2014, 19:38

muscovyduckling wrote:Oh, I forgot to say, Ausrose, that I'm still a newbie and I'm definitely not an expert on Australian bred roses, so there could have been others there that I didn't realise we're Aussie! But I don't think so.

They did have the Daniel Morcombe rose, but I'm not sure who the breeder of this rose is.

Yes would be nice to have an Aussie bred rose for Daniel but I believe its Black Magic TANkalcig ... a Tantau rose ...& the Peter Brock one ..I found I have now the Pride of England rose ...lol thats hard to realise when your a Wallabies fan you have the rose thats on the English jersey in pride & place ..lol..

Sadly no I dont find many that are Australian unless I go through the catalogues & mail order... maybe a Logo on the labels would help promote ??
Kinhel
Kinhel

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 14th June 2014, 23:11

I have been working on the label idea for quite sometime without success but I haven't given up however I have had success with the writing of rose names with the sytem being if it is an Australia bred rose the name of the breeder is written in brackets after the name of the rose e.g. Flemington Racecourse (Chapman).

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinhel 15th June 2014, 09:20

Sounds wonderful Ausrose ... yes please dont give up.. as hard work it must be..at least its a start with what you have accomplished so far  Thumbsup
 It would be good wouldnt it ..as i get a little starry eyed when buying a new rose ...& forget everything I know ..lol so that would be a huge help for addicted impulse buyer such as me Smile
..but cometo think of it .. I did notice it on the change on the labels of Hot Chocolate from the Rose Company the other day had the SIMcho on it exactly as you say in brackets ...yayyy as my old label didnt have that..
Kinhel
Kinhel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 15th June 2014, 10:06

The SIMcho is the code name of the rose. There are three roses registered as Hot Chocolate so to identify the one you bought it has a code name on the label. Yours is the Hot Chocolate bred by NZ rose breeder the late Nola Simpson. When roses are registered part of the registration is giving the rose a code name that is exclusive. The code name SIMcho is a combination of the first three letters of Simpson and chocolate.

Hot Chocolate (floribunda, Simpson, 1986) SIMchoco
Floribunda.  Russet.  Rich orange-red with brown overtones.  Mild fragrance.  Very double, old-fashioned bloom form.  Blooms in flushes throughout the season. Height of 39" to 4' 7" (100 to 140 cm).  Width of up to 28" (up to 70 cm). Nola M. Simpson (1986).

Hot Chocolate (floribunda, Schuurman, 1999) SUNchoco
Floribunda, Florists Rose.  Coral, coffee reverse.  Full (26-40 petals) bloom form.  Blooms in flushes throughout the season. Height of 16" to 2' (40 to 60 cm). Frank Bart Schuurman (1999).

Hot Chocolate (floribunda, Carruth, 2002) Floribunda. WEKpaltlez 
Easy-To-Love ™.  Russet, darker reverse.  Moderate, fruity fragrance.  Medium to large, full (26-40 petals), cluster-flowered, in small clusters, cupped, ruffled bloom form.  Blooms in flushes throughout the season. Height of 35" to 45" (90 to 115 cm).  Width of 4½' (135 cm). Tom Carruth (2002).

Last edited by Ausrose on 15th June 2014, 19:39; edited 6 times in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 15th June 2014, 13:06

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinhel 15th June 2014, 17:52

hahaha yes Thanks for that Ausrose much appreciated ...
I bought mine many years ago & it had no code on it back then so it was good to see things have now changed as my Hot Chocolate has been the source of many heated discussion with English rose friends over the years & American rose growers alike..lol having to explain that my Hot Chocolate is Hot Chocolate & the english Hot Chocolate we call Hot Cocoa...its gets fun...Until I fire all guns blazing with SIMcho WEKpaltlez Nola Simpson & Tom Carruth... then I run away cheering heehee... so I especially love those Registration names Smile)

& I appreciate the explaination of how they get them I could see the breeder for the first three but not the remainder ....
I have yet to buy & try Hot Cocoa but I loooove my Hot Chocolate Wink
I would also love one day to see Schuurmans for the final comparison ... study 
Kinhel
Kinhel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next