Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Some Christmas Pictures

+5
silkyfizz
maree
betsyw
The Lazy Rosarian
Balinbear
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Some Christmas Pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: Some Christmas Pictures

Post by silkyfizz 31st December 2013, 22:12

Well you are to be congratulated on the superb results of all your hard work. I love the perennials in among the roses too, especially the pop of blue. What are some of the perennials you have growing?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 1st January 2014, 09:16

silkyfizz wrote:Well you are to be congratulated on the superb results of all your hard work. I love the perennials in among the roses too, especially the pop of blue. What are some of the perennials you have growing?

Yes I agree. Especially about the blue. It can give the roses a real lift by the contrast in colour. We have lots of salvias, penstemon, pentas, agastache, yarrow, Louisiana Iris, nepeta, geranium, Alstremeria plus others I can't remember the names of. They sometimes tend to get out of control so we have decided to make sure we keep a better eye on them.

The good thing is most of them can be propagated easily so you don't need to spend a lot of money on them. Lee sometimes hits the markets and if she sees something she likes and we don't have she will buy it but generally they are all grown from cuttings. With a large garden it would not ne possible to plant it all up and have to pay.

We probably have 500 -600 cuttings in trays at present. Some strike so easily that we have a 100% success rate with them. Some of the salvias also strike really fast.

We also grow some things from seed (aquilegias, geraniums plus a plant that we can't remember the name of that has tall plumb coloured spikes on them. It is not a perennial but we keep some seed form the pods and they grow quite easily) and also division. Once you get the garden going it is surprising how many plants you can get from it for free.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 1st January 2014, 09:23

muscovyduckling wrote:Great pics! Such a lovely garden :)do you have any pics of your Phillis Byde? I love her.

We shifted Phillis last winter as she is a bit thorny and the stand where we had her is right beside a path. She is still alive but not doing all that well so no photos sorry not even in our archive. I don't think she likes the climate or soil up here as she has never done all that well. Similar with Adelaide de Orleans, who seems to grow okay but very limited as far as flowers are concerned.

Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 1st January 2014, 10:34

Ahh that is a shame. I've heard she is a thorny beast! But not to worry, all your other roses are looking fantastic Smile

It's great to see you've had so much success growing things from cuttings. I've never done that before but I'm going to have a go next week with some cuttings from my neighbours' hydrangeas. Apparently they're easy to root, so hopefully I'll manage it!
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 4th January 2014, 15:59

what a fabulous garden - you have a great flare with design and the pergolas etc used with great effect... the gardens makes you want to see what is around the corner it all looks so interesting.. did you say what area the garden covers?
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 5th January 2014, 21:59

hariet~rose wrote:what a fabulous garden - you have a great flare with design and the pergolas etc used with great effect... the gardens makes you want to see what is around the corner it all looks so interesting.. did you say what area the garden covers?

about 2 acres (this includes the house carport etc)
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2