Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

A Country Girl

+5
betsyw
maree
SueH
silkyfizz
The Lazy Rosarian
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Country Girl Empty A Country Girl

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th October 2013, 19:58

A warm welcome to a country girl, Debbie G from NSW/Parkes. I hope you enjoy our forum.
From roseman(David)
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

A Country Girl Empty Re: A Country Girl

Post by silkyfizz 29th October 2013, 22:03

Hello Debbie, welcome to the forum. Another rose lover to chat with.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH 30th October 2013, 18:20

Hi Debbie and Welcome!  You will love this forum, everybody is friendly and helpful! Wave

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 30th October 2013, 19:46

Hi Debbie , welcome , welcome !!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 30th October 2013, 21:40

A thousand welcomes, DebbieG! Look foward to hearing about your roses (and pix, of course)
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 31st October 2013, 18:05

Thank you everyone! I am overwhelmed at such a lovely welcome.
I think I've always loved roses. We live in central west NSW, and although my garden is quite small, I love to grow roses, especially the old roses and Australian roses.
I look forward to sharing and learning on this forum, Deb

Debbie G

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 31st October 2013, 18:11

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]   Debbie
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 31st October 2013, 20:09

You said the magic words "Australian bred."

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 31st October 2013, 20:19

Australia is such a great country for growing roses and so many beautiful ones were bred here.
Most of the Alister Clarks are too big for me, and I've tried a few that were martyrs to mildew, but I LOVE Restless (never stops flowering) and Sunlit.
I've just been to Bishop's Lodge in Hay, such a beautiful garden with lots of room for big roses. I can only dream!

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 31st October 2013, 20:22

Deb, what roses (all types) are you growing at the moment? Any particularly favourite perfomers?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 31st October 2013, 20:47

Lamarque ( who doesn't know how to stop flowering) lives on the big trellis up the back, he shares with Kathleen Harrop, who has just had a big haircut to stop her strangling the lemon tree.
Then there's Crepuscule, Buff Beauty and Celine Forrestier on the back veranda.
Sunlit, Jude the Obscure, and Golden Celebration, and Jean Ducher on the front fence. Mme Pierre Oger and Louise Odier manage to sulk most of the time on a trellis over the gate.
Souvenir de la Malmaison and S.de St Anne's are great girls.
BL Mary Mathews was just lovely this year after a rough start, and I've just put in BL Ah Mow and Lady Day.
I haven't got a lot, but I love the ones I have.Last year I did a big cull, decided I needed to get rid of all but the essentials. Who was I kidding? I can't live without my roses! So now I have more room to plant roses, but will choose more carefully this time!
Oh I forgot Cornelia, and Mutabilis.

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 31st October 2013, 21:30

Deb....can you tell me what BL...Ah....and Mow stand for......

Just a short note since you would not know is, at the top of the page we have a search engine to look up topics. The one thing that this search engine can't do is work out what abbreviations mean.....Thanks
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 31st October 2013, 22:05

BL is Bishops Lodge
Ah Mow, I think is one that was found or named from BL
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 31st October 2013, 22:21

roseman wrote:BL is Bishops Lodge
Ah Mow, I think is one that was found or named from BL
"I've just been to Bishop's Lodge in Hay"

"and I've just put in BL Ah Mow and Lady Day."
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 31st October 2013, 22:32

Debbie i think we have all done that , had too many roses in the garden , not enough time to look after them , had a big cull , planted other species and then find yourself looking in every nook and cranny for space to plant more roses lol ...
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 31st October 2013, 22:52

I'm glad it's not just me!

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 31st October 2013, 23:04

Look at all the noisettes! Deb, you are a rose person after my own heart. Love those noisies, and I adore verticality in a garden. Yours sounds very lush and exuberantly natural in the European country fashion.

Out oif curiosity, which of your former roses are now sleeping with the shovels?
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st November 2013, 06:24

Some nice choices Debbie. You will be able to post photo's on here after 7 days.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 1st November 2013, 08:17

Yes Betsy, I do like the noisettes! They are so generous! My favourite at the moment is Celine Forrestier, just heart- stoppingly beautiful, but so far she seems to grow straight up - I'm hoping she eventually flows over the edge so I can get to the flowers.
As for the dearly departed. The one I'm saddest about was Jaune Deprez. I wanted her desperately and planted her when we bought the house. I convinced myself that six metres probably meant six feet - it didn't! That rose was the evil twin of Lamaque! She was drop dead gorgeous in flower, just amazing. BUT she was so thorny that I lost a pint of blood every time I waved the secaters near her. And if I put it off a while so I could summons up courage - she would race up into the tree next door and onto our roof. She would grab at peoples hair as they went through her gate - and she drew blood every time! One day I just lost my temper and said:" Jaune, it's me or you!". And out she came. I still miss her and keep thinking she can't have been THAT big and mean... can she? She was SO beautiful!
The others were usually just roses that didn't work out. There was the huge Heritage who spent most of the year hanging stark naked over the front fence. Not a leaf or flower in sight!
There were some lovely Alister Clarks that were crippled with mildew and black spot every year - Aust. Felix, Mary Guthrie, Borderer.
Mons Tillier and Mrs Oakley Fisher came out last year because they had become too shaded and were too old to move.
And I had a Portland stage, but they didn't do well. It was worth it because I would never have got to see them otherwise.
Ah, the loved and lost! I am so delighted to meet all you lovely people who can give me advice about what to plant, maybe not so many rejects now!

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st November 2013, 11:12

I am loving your stories, Deb. What a delightful, adroit raconteur you are. Also a most useful source. I've always longed for a Jaune Desprez, have always had a niggling suspicion that perhaps my Reve D'Or was the B-Team of the yellow noisies. No more. End of Jaune-Lust for me, and beginning of Celine Forestier-Lust.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st November 2013, 12:30

Ok Deb, if you like/love Noisettes, which colour first off shall be look at.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 1st November 2013, 14:31

Debbie G wrote:
Yes Betsy, I do like the noisettes! They are so generous! My favourite at the moment is Celine Forrestier, just heart- stoppingly beautiful, but so far she seems to grow straight up - I'm hoping she eventually flows over the edge so I can get to the flowers.
As for the dearly departed. The one I'm saddest about was Jaune Deprez. I wanted her desperately and planted her when we bought the house. I convinced myself that six metres probably meant six feet - it didn't! That rose was the evil twin of Lamaque! She was drop dead gorgeous in flower, just amazing. BUT she was so thorny that I lost a pint of blood every time I waved the secaters near her. And if I put it off a while so I could summons up courage - she would race up into the tree next door and onto our roof. She would grab at peoples hair as they went through her gate - and she drew blood every time! One day I just lost my temper and said:" Jaune, it's me or you!". And out she came. I still miss her and keep thinking she can't have been THAT big and mean... can she? She was SO beautiful!
The others were usually just roses that didn't work out. There was the huge Heritage who spent most of the year hanging stark naked over the front fence. Not a leaf or flower in sight!
There were some lovely Alister Clarks that were crippled with mildew and black spot every year - Aust. Felix, Mary Guthrie, Borderer.
Mons Tillier and Mrs Oakley Fisher came out last year because they had become too shaded and were too old to move.
And I had a Portland stage, but they didn't do well. It was worth it because I would never have got to see them otherwise.
Ah, the loved and lost!  I am so delighted to meet all you lovely people who can give me advice about what to plant, maybe not so many rejects now!
Surprised about the BS and Mildew on Borderer.

We have lots of them throughout our garden and never had any issues with them.

So far as Noisettes go try Rev d'Or or one of its derivatives William Alan Richardson, Duchess d'Auerstadt , Marechal Neil.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 1st November 2013, 15:04

Thanks Balinbear! I was actually thinking of trying Borderer again, it was such a pretty little thing. Maybe I will try it in a different spot.
I would like to try some other Noisettes, I'm thinking of Mme Alfred Carrier to cover the long pergola between Lamaque and Crepuscule.
I feel bad about bagging out poor Jaune Deprez, it wasn't really her fault, it was just that she was the wrong rose for where I had her. In a big garden she would be stunning!

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie G 1st November 2013, 15:15

Hi Roseman! It's funny, I never really thought about liking a particular family, but I do seem to have a few Noisettes. This forum has really made me think about what I want for the garden.
I seem to have a lot of yellow tones. I like most colours, but I don't like them clashing too much.
Poor Restless has to live in the vege patch because I can't quite see his dark red fitting in anywhere just yet.

Debbie G

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 1st November 2013, 15:27

Mme Al was my first ever rose. I adore her. Big, Big blooms (they float well in bowls, too!), almost no thorns, and she has proven to be the fastets growing of all my noisettes.

Having said that, I should add that, if left to her own devices, she will cover a lot of space.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next