Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Neptune et al -Do I have time for one last flush?

3 posters

Go down

Neptune et al -Do I have time for one last flush? Empty Neptune et al -Do I have time for one last flush?

Post by betsyw 6th March 2013, 14:23

I was wondering ..... If I did a light 25-30% prune of my HTs and floris now, might I force one last flush, or is it all too late and is 40 days taking me too far into April? Lower Hunter area....

Everything is looking leggy , so i'm not concerned about shapeliness right now.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Neptune et al -Do I have time for one last flush? Empty Re: Neptune et al -Do I have time for one last flush?

Post by neptune 6th March 2013, 20:23

Bets,...if everything is going for you,,,,,ie: weather , water, nutrients and frost free nights, you could have a flush within 42days. If you prune, prune the cane down to pencil width. To push all the bush energy to the pruned canes, take out all dead wood and skinny, spindly wood. You don't want any excess energy going to the thin wood. So if you get rid of the crap, then your dream could be achievable.....
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Neptune et al -Do I have time for one last flush? Empty Re: Neptune et al -Do I have time for one last flush?

Post by betsyw 6th March 2013, 20:30

YESSSSSSSS!

You are a legend, Neptune! Will let you know if I succeed or fail, and with which rose (roses, we hope).
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 7th March 2013, 11:51

Is it always 42 days Neptune? Do some roses vary? I see that some of my roses shoot up very soon after light pruning, with new buds emerging? Do these then give inferior flowers? Bit confused here....
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 7th March 2013, 12:07

Remember what Douglas Adams said about the number 42? There ya go ...
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 7th March 2013, 14:33

not always 42....this varies with every bush and different type of rose. That is why exhibitors keep logs on what each and every bush does.......some HT's can come back within 30days , while others come back within 50days. It depends on the bush. Even non exhibitors should keep a log of there bushes, especially if they want there roses in bloom for a special occasion. By knowing their recovering time, you can prune all your bushes at different times and then they will flush at the same time
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 7th March 2013, 15:11

Thanks Neptune. Another question: if you determine through past observation that a particular rose needs say 42 days, will it always be 42 days, assuming watering remains same. How much does weather, temperature, hours of sunlight affect this, if at all?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 7th March 2013, 15:40

Nobody will even bite at Douglas Adams and 42?
I am among the godless L.O.L.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 7th March 2013, 17:09

betsyw wrote:Nobody will even bite at Douglas Adams and 42?
I am among the godless L.O.L.

I would be willing to bite, but have no idea what you are talking about..... Embarassed
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 7th March 2013, 17:18

If I said The Hitchhiker's Guide to theGalaxy, would that start to ring bells? The first of the brilliant hilarious novels by British writer Douglas Adams, based on his BBC series.

I need to move to Wiki to go faster in this explanation:

The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special computer the size of a small planet and using organic components was created and named "Earth".

This appeared first in the radio play and later in the novelization of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The fourth book in the series, the novel So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, contains 42 chapters. According to the novel Mostly Harmless, 42 is the street address of Stavromula Beta. In 1994 Adams created the 42 Puzzle, a game based on the number 42.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 7th March 2013, 17:19

silkyfizz wrote:Thanks Neptune. Another question: if you determine through past observation that a particular rose needs say 42 days, will it always be 42 days, assuming watering remains same. How much does weather, temperature, hours of sunlight affect this, if at all?

Ok, lets see he///there are two types of recovery......
1- the one after a full winter prune, and
2- a February prune to get a flush for around Mothers Day or any Special Occasion that you want.

If I go by your example silky, then the answer would be no. Mother nature has the final say. If you have a very hot spell or heavy frosted nights, the bushes close down for self preservation. So by watching the weather you can add or subtract days to your special day. Sunlight here plays a part because the sun is moving to the north, could take away the amount of sunlight your bush is receiving by putting it into the shadow early( depending how your bushes are set or paced out)
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 7th March 2013, 17:20

betsyw wrote:If I said The Hitchhiker's Guide to theGalaxy, would that start to ring bells? The first of the brilliant hilarious novels by British writer Douglas Adams, based on his BBC series.

I need to move to Wiki to go faster in this explanation:

The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special computer the size of a small planet and using organic components was created and named "Earth".

This appeared first in the radio play and later in the novelization of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The fourth book in the series, the novel So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, contains 42 chapters. According to the novel Mostly Harmless, 42 is the street address of Stavromula Beta. In 1994 Adams created the 42 Puzzle, a game based on the number 42.

Gotcha now.......jeez I hate dementia at times....... Very Happy
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 7th March 2013, 17:23

I have no confidence in myself to do this right, but my nerve hasn't totally failed me. Perfume Passion, Day Breaker and one of the Firefighters are set for the chop tomorrow. My guinea pigs. Sooo... two HTs and one flori
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 7th March 2013, 17:32

neptune wrote:

Gotcha now.......jeez I hate dementia at times....... Very Happy

I'm finding that dementia covers so many sins of omission. "I can't BELIEVE I forgot to phone you, buy you a birthday present, come to your house for dinner, buy your hideous child a Christmas gift" etc etc.

Let's hear it for the Baby Boomers, always young and radical at heart, even if they temporarily forget why ;-)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 7th March 2013, 22:13

Lol Betsy, so true unfortunately. Sorry about missing your reference to 42. Sad to say I haven't hitchhiked my way through the galaxy.
Re your pruning tomorrow, will it entail chopping off flower buds? See I can't bring myself to do it. I just prune the canes after the flowers have come and gone. Pathetic isn't it?
How tall are your Daybreakers now? (I know you have one, I think maybe another one too, or am I getting you confused with someone else?) That darned dementia again....
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 7th March 2013, 22:17

Thanks Neptune. Interesting. I don't think I'll be hosting any special do's here so will be unlikely to have use of this info, but good to know just in case. Maybe I'll show roses one day, who knows?? Lol
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 8th March 2013, 00:41

Silky, we think alike. I wouldn't snip off a single bud, I'm such a bloom tragic. No, I've selected the FF that's just finished its flush (the other one has buds, and so remains inviolate)

I have just the one DB at present,but you're on the right track, because I just ordered another one. As it happens, it's just sending up yet MORE buds all on its own, so I won't chop it as planned. Will attack one of the Valencias instead.

DB is about 2 1/2 ft tall, with some post=deluge water shoots towering overhead. It's grown approx a third in size since I got it a few months ago.

It's a nice plant, as well as a nice rose. It has only one fault, - it doesn't hold the pretty tri-colour in the heat , throws to apricot. Best colour will be next Autumn, I think.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 8th March 2013, 10:40

Yes great minds think alike Betsy, enjoy every one of our flowers. Roses work hard to produce their bounty, it's up to us to appreciate them. That's my theory anyway Lol. Well I'm off to do some more digging today, preparing a bed for perennials. Pity I don't have more sun there otherwise it would be more roses. I'm thinking of getting some zoo poo next week (elephant, zebra) $40 m2. Never tried it before.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 11th March 2013, 08:00

And speaking of 42, as we were about a hundred posts ago, today would have been Douglas Adams's 61st birthday. It is being celebtraed on the Google search page graphic ;-))))

Happy Birthday in memoriam, Douglas. So long, and thanks for all the fish.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down