Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Dug up a new bed for roses today !!!

5 posters

Go down

Dug up a new bed for roses today !!! Empty Dug up a new bed for roses today !!!

Post by maree 5th January 2013, 17:21

I must be nuts , have just pulled out a row of sasanqua camellias to make a new rose bed , husband comes home from work and says blep , blep ,what are you doing !!, i say can you help and he saunters off to watch the cricket with a stubby and some hot dogs , now here comes the fun part , what to plant !!!

Last edited by maree on 5th January 2013, 19:44; edited 2 times in total
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Dug up a new bed for roses today !!! Empty Re: Dug up a new bed for roses today !!!

Post by AutumnDamask 5th January 2013, 17:34

Obviously not as hot at your place as it is up north!!!! lol! Just thinking of digging up a garden bed makes me break out in a sweat!
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Dug up a new bed for roses today !!! Empty Re: Dug up a new bed for roses today !!!

Post by maree 5th January 2013, 19:41

Nah , beautiful today AutumnDamask 24 degrees !!! Benalla is inland isn't it , a lot hotter there , no sea breezes !!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 5th January 2013, 20:26

What are your thoughts about what to put in Maree?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh 5th January 2013, 23:38

maree wrote:I must be nuts , have just pulled out a row of sasanqua camellias to make a new rose bed , husband comes home from work and says blep , blep ,what are you doing !!, i say can you help and he saunters off to watch the cricket with a stubby and some hot dogs , now here comes the fun part , what to plant !!!

Well done maree, what to choose, now that's a question...
For me they would have to be very fragrant..unless it was an exceptional colour. Sometimes I choose them if their names are significant to me..
paulh
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 6th January 2013, 00:15

Silky and Paul , i'm thinking i'll put in a couple of slow starters as in Big Purple and Charles de Gaulle and just leave them there until they are ready , plus Ekstase , Amazing Grace and Fionas Wish if i can fit her in , garden bed isn't huge , long narrow strip between the house and driveway , put in some little groundcovers , should be good ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 6th January 2013, 05:37

Ooooo ... I really want to try Amazing Grace (she's on The List).

For me 'Fiona's Wish' grows upright - taller than wider. Handy when you want to fit more in. Wink
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 6th January 2013, 07:26

It will be interesting to see how Amazing Grace compares to PJP11 Autumn , was thinking Jardin de Bagatelle , but i'm guessing in the strong heat it could fade too much , anyone got her ? My mum has Fionas Wish had it for ages , she loves it ....
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 6th January 2013, 13:25

Amazing Grace? Why this pale pink one? From what I've read it isn't a productive bloomer, and it doesn't last in the vase. Its leafiness isn't highly rated either. So many pale pinks to choose from.

Hey, I'm not being argumentative, just curious about its virtues. Maybe I should get six ;-)
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 6th January 2013, 15:22

Lol Betsy , but are you looking at the right Amazing Grace there are three on HMF , the one i am thinking about is Amazing Grace 07 , Ross Roses blurb is ( large pure white crisp blooms of classic form , on good length stems , a delightful fragrance , continuous flowering , almost thorn free on a neat and compact bush . The dark green foliage is glossy and healthy with high disease tolerance , bred by Bruce Chapman of Melbourne ) is it as good as PJP11, don't know, does anyone have her ? Its parents are White Spray and Aoteroa , what do you think Ozroz , Ozrose , Roseman , Balinbear and any other breeders i have forgotten ?
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 6th January 2013, 15:37

Amazing Grace 07 (Australian-bred) is on the list of "recommends" for the show bench. Smile
And seeing as my Mum's name is Grace, this rose is on The List. Wink
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 6th January 2013, 17:07

Sounds good enough for me AutumnDamask and as i am the impatient type of rose grower i'll be planting it next year i'd say .... and its a Australian rose , bonus !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 6th January 2013, 17:24

LOL maree. No, I was looking at a pale pink rose Amazing Grace, not lovely white AG '07 Chapman rose.

I wonder about this one too, though. With otherwise excellent ratings in most categories, it only rates as Good in fragrance and foliage. On paper anyway, it would not be my choice for a white, but then again, what do I know? I'm not an exhibitor, either, so exhibition qualities mean little to me.

However, if my mother's name were Grace, I'd be placing an order, no fear. This time next year, when you are all raving about your AGs, I'll be kicking myself, I'm sure ;-)
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 6th January 2013, 18:05

Betsy , yes i know its a unknown rose , guess i could leave that spot vacant for 12 months and put her in a pot , its a toss up between her and Jardin De , i'm just thinking that Jardins blooms could get sunbleached in our hot summers , do you have her ? Its great to get opinions , thats why i put AG up here , hoping for some feedback , cause i am very gungho at times , my husband just shakes his head and says , i don't want to know , with that look on his face lol !!!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 6th January 2013, 18:13

Jardins de Bagatelle is one of my all-time favs. I keep forgetting to put her in various favs list on this board, but for me she has been a sweetheart, and a producer, and no fuss. And a magnificent elegant perfume, with none of that cheapo citrus stuff. (she's the white rose in my avatar with Valencia)

Too much sun could be a problem but not a bleaching problem. She is white, after, all, with a very slight pink tinge at her throat that fades naturally in the summer. I've never had her out in blazing 40C 8hr summer sun, but then I think that so few of my roses were ever selected to stand up to your Melbourne frypan pressure, that I can't advise reliably.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 6th January 2013, 20:29

Mmmnn , think i'll put JdB and AG in a pot for 12 months and see which one wins lol !!!
maree
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 6th January 2013, 21:37

jdB loves pots.
betsyw
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down