Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

How Ironic

+8
maree
Bonita18
silkyfizz
The Lazy Rosarian
Jac2
Ozeboy
Balinbear
neptune
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Ironic Empty How Ironic

Post by Guest 28th October 2012, 13:29

For years I have tried to gain recognition from rose growers here in Australia again and again, with out any hope. A friend of mine went to South Africa during the International Rose Conference and met up with two magor growers and breeders.

One is in South African who is a grower and importer and exporter of roses in and out of Europe. I was asked to send budwood to him next month.

The other, the owner of the biggest rose breeding and growing house in France. He wants me to send 10 cultivars to him in April.

Seems so strange that one has to go so far for recognition, but then again it happen in the scientific field as well. One day this country will open its eyes

Back to top Go down

How Ironic Empty Re: How Ironic

Post by neptune 28th October 2012, 13:42

You are correct there warren......we seemed to need to be recognise here first before we are recognised overseas..alas not the case...we have sportspeople who are champions overseas ard aren't even heard of here
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 28th October 2012, 14:00

Warren

That's great. Hope it all goes well for you.

More we all hope that somewhere there is enough foresight and knowledge to promote them and grow them here is Oz.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29th October 2012, 05:06

Me to Balin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 29th October 2012, 21:42

Good luck Warren, hope you can succeed where other Aussie breeders have not. I had a good friend who wanted a lifestyle change so gave up his Law Business to grow indoor plants like ferns. He built about an acre of glass houses and had some rare and beautiful plants but sold almost nothing. Most growers here have iron clad arrangements with one and other and it's very difficult to break that down. He had to return to Law and reopen his Law office.
I live alongside the largest propagator of plants in Australia who have their own retail outlets and I couldn't get one plant into their plant range.
It's all tied up like the rose business and without PBR and the money to patent and merchandise them then I don't like your chances. I get the impression you want to start at the top, here or overseas so let's all pray for a miracle. Enough gloom and doom, nothing would give me more pleasure than to see you break into the big time.
Good luck.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 30th October 2012, 00:06

Warren, I’m SO happy to hear your good news. They’ll love your roses; adore them, anywhere! In South Africa where the climate is so similar to ours and in France where the people are adventures and crave exotic new products. I hear they love our wines over there …
Its not strange at all that one has to go so far for recognition, only that it takes some people seven years to dare go there …
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30th October 2012, 05:29

Bruce I can see where your comming from as I have had promises that never came to anything. A friend of mine in Deniliquin once said to me years ago, Are you going to make any money out of these things, I said if you view it with the sole purpose of the the dollar, your qualtiy will go down, but you do it with your heart, the quality will surpass everything and things will eventually happen.

Bruce I don't want to start at the top but I do want to breed top quality roses, there has been only one person in this cliquey Australian rose scene who has put the time and effort in helping me. He like myself has been banging his head against the brickwall in Aust with no results, all this negoatiation in South Africa was all his hardwork as he felt I was worthy of it.

David knows of this, December I fly out to China with three other Aussies to an International Rose Conference, everything paid for by the Chinese, also Iam being introduced to a vast number of people in the rose field. I didnt arrange this, it just happened when I answered a phone call oneday.

I haven't had any roses go commecial yet but every year I still breed more as it is my great passion,someone has to bring a little beauty into this sometimes crazy world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 30th October 2012, 08:42

Warren, you have the top quality roses, lets hope the contacts you make in December can add the final ingredients, marketing and advertising.

When I look at what is going on in the rose business and some of the over the top marketing, just about makes me sick. When I saw a rose introduced with a name like 'Atomic Blonde', I thought that's one rose I would never buy. They would have been better to push Australian made here and use Australian names that can be remembered.
If I were to breed the number of good roses you do then they would be called names like "Billabong" or other similar Aussie names. I have an Aussie rose called 'Lubra', probably not the best name that comes to mind but coupled with Australian made would be different from the long list of overseas roses. The bottom line is, make what consumers want.

Your remark, beauty in this crazy world, makes me think of the video sent in by a Belgum lady doing her garden tour with "Imagine" music playing all through the tour. DAVID MIGHT FIND IT and put it here again. That's the mood worth creating with your marketing.

Warren, I'm sure all Australian rose breeders and people here wish you all the luck overseas. If successiful then it's my shout.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 30th October 2012, 12:31

Your remark, beauty in this crazy world, makes me think of the video sent in by a Belgum lady doing her garden tour with "Imagine" music playing all through the tour. DAVID MIGHT FIND IT and put it here again.
Bruce this is from your post above, are you sure it wasn't Poesie from Slovinia and the music was "The Rose"
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 30th October 2012, 14:26

Ozroz, I wish you great success in getting your beautiful Aussie roses out to the public, even if that "public " is in Africa, Europe or China.
Eventually it will happen. Yes it is a crazy world and getting crazier but as long as people like you strive to create "beauty in this crazy world," we are all the better for it. Good luck and god's speed in December. They will be bowled over by your roses, as are we all here.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 30th October 2012, 16:41

David there were two seperate vidoes, one was The Rose and the other was Imagine. They produced a wonderful feeling of peace and tranquility.
The marketing people could do well to find a way of matching this with the Warren Millington roses. Carole, that may have been Poesie from Slovinia who did both these vidio's but I remember the music was Imagine because it's one of my favourites. Hope you can find it again for there are quite a few new members who would enjoy it.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 30th October 2012, 23:28

Warren
That is wonderful news. I looked longingly at your roses in the Arba magazine a couple of months ago - I even ticked the ones would add to my wish list so I am sure there is a market out there, sadly overseas first. A thought - with the constant migration of South Africans to our country, the day might come when new immigrants ask our nurseries for your roses here. That would be a turn around.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 30th October 2012, 23:46

David, the video was sent in by Isolelle from Belgum and posted on 11-11-2009. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The music on the garden tour video was Imagine.

Hope you can find that video.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 31st October 2012, 21:35

Good luck Ozroz !!!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 1st November 2012, 06:51

Bruce how did you find that link, I have looked at it but can't find the video bit.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 1st November 2012, 07:02

David, i'm not sure but her videos are on Face book. I actually sent Isabelle a message asking her for that garden tour with Imagine music and she replied. " Can't seem to find it at the moment, very busy, but will try to find it when time permits"

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Isabelle 11th November 2012, 06:35

Hello Warren and everybody !
Such a long time I came here !
I've lost that video because Slide.com closed its doors one day without warning.
But no problem : I'll make a new one with the same music (I remember it was Imagine by Avril Lavigne) and it will be better than the previous one because I've improved in the quality of the photos.
I will dedicate it to you, Warren.
I've just looked at the photo gallery under "Warren Lifes work". Are all those beauties really your creations ?
I'm sure that in Europe you would be very successful ! Many of them are incredibly stunning !
Do you have a website ?
Could I use those photos for a post on my blog about you ?
I would need a small biography (please send it on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
You can also find me on Facebook : Isabelle Olikier-Luyten
Isabelle
Isabelle

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-11-11

http://a-little-bit-of-paradise.over-blog.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11th November 2012, 07:01

Hello Isabelle, they are most of what I have bred, there are 30 more to add once they go through registration formalities. Creating something nice adds a little beauty into a somewhat crazy world, the greatest achievement is when they make someone happy, then the jobs done.

I don't have a wbsite but you can use the pics if you want to and I wil send some details via your email. Warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Isabelle 11th November 2012, 07:24

Great ! My readers will love that !
I'm waiting for your mail and I'll make the video tomorrow.
Isabelle
Isabelle

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 11th November 2012, 08:05

The power of the Web, Warren will get your roses and yourself out there, well done. How Ironic 4118800704
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 11th November 2012, 13:26

That's fantastic Warren, I was blown away by the first video. Obviously the music being so dreamy helped the pix's a great deal.
Your pix,the music and what Isobelle will do with it will make a real difference Two talented people combining should really make something really special

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 13th November 2012, 17:15

Isabelle, you look like Maria Sharapova in your pix. (That's an intended compliment).

I'm waiting like an expectant father for the video to arrive.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Isabelle 14th November 2012, 04:43

I would have prefered Justine Henin or Kim Clijsters but I appreciate the compliment Wink
Still 10 hours to wait and the video will be released on my blog : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Isabelle
Isabelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 14th November 2012, 06:01

Thanks Isabelle, so nice of you to have done this for Warren.

I know you are biased towards Belgum (That's nice) though these two young ladies are considered top draw anywhere in the world.
We did adopt Kim as an Aussie for awhile and thought she might stay.
Sports woman can't always be considered as ladies but Kim is first class.
great sports women in their own rite.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Isabelle 14th November 2012, 15:35

Here it is : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Especially for Warren and Bruce.
Isabelle
Isabelle