Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Question

+7
maree
betsyw
Jac2
Balinbear
AutumnDamask
jordan71
The Lazy Rosarian
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Question

Post by betsyw 22nd October 2012, 20:11

Maree, Seattle is a provincial town trying to be a cosmopolis. The people have nearly destroyed the scenery with strip malls and ugly highways, they themselves are rude and boorish in a dull, pdestrian way that would astonish a Sydneysider and even grate on a New Yorker. A natural paradise of snowcapped mountains and clear waters, turned into a graceless bore. Not hell, just a circle thereof.

nd who most despises Seattle? Native Seattlites who have left. San Franciscans, New Yorkers, Bostonians - they love their cities, wherever they live. Ex=Seattltes have tepid contempt for their ex home town.
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 22nd October 2012, 21:57

Oh see what you mean Betsy , when i think of Seattle , i think of the romantic movie with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan and i think Fraser was set there too , what a shame though , cause it did look pretty . In my home town they have pulled down the heritage buildings and put up big shopping centre's , unbelievable , oh well , back to roses !!!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd October 2012, 06:18

There are lots of steps to this question Jac. Lets do this in stages.
1. name the rose/plant
2. where is it
3. who bred it
4. the grower of it
5. agent in OZ
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 26th October 2012, 10:18

1. I am looking for a Penzance/Sweet Briar/Eglantine rose, any variety bread by Penzance around the 1890s.

a. Most preferably ‘Lady Penzance’, a dense, vigorous shrub, probably the best known of the Sweet Briars, with by far the strongest scented foliage. Flowers single, coppery-salmon and pink with pronounced yellow stamens, followed by bright red hips.

b. Or ‘Meg Merrillies’, an extremely vigorous and prickly shrub rose. Bright crimson semi-double flowers followed by an abundance of good red hips. One of the best of its group, with scented flowers and foliage.

c. Or ‘Anne of Geierstein’, a very vigorous member of the group, with sweetly scented foliage and single dark crimson red flowers with golden centres these are followed by scarlet fruit

2. Theses roses are available in England and Germany, but not to my knowledge in Australia.

3. They were bread by Penzance, UK, c. 1894.
4. Peter Beales is one UK grower/distributer of Penzance roses
5. I do not know their agent in Australia
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 18th January 2013, 19:42

One perfumed rose missing from the lists is Admiral Rodney. A magnificent pink rose with strong fragrance. Although being around for many years it is a very competitive exhibition bloom. It is available through Treloar Roses

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Ausrose on 19th January 2013, 09:30; edited 2 times in total

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 19th January 2013, 06:11

Jac2 wrote:1. I am looking for a Penzance/Sweet Briar/Eglantine rose, any variety bread by Penzance around the 1890s.

a. Most preferably ‘Lady Penzance’, a dense, vigorous shrub, probably the best known of the Sweet Briars, with by far the strongest scented foliage. Flowers single, coppery-salmon and pink with pronounced yellow stamens, followed by bright red hips.

I have 'Lord Penzance'. Small foliage, small flowers but prominent stamens ... I have a pic somewhere... It's a favourite of the *&^^&%&^**!!! beetles here so that has slowed its growth.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 2nd December 2014, 18:53

Papa Meilland,
Brisbane Blush
Mayan cochet
Restless - wonderful

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling 6th December 2014, 06:06

Ok, I know I'm 2 years too late, but Jac, I believe Reliable Roses offers Lady Penzance, and I think I might have seen it elsewhere too.. Perhaps Thomas for Roses? Or it might have been MD's?
muscovyduckling
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 6th December 2014, 16:05

This year I purchased three Brisbane Blush (Long) roses it is good to know the particular cultivar has fragrance.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 6th December 2014, 18:14

This one Doug?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 6th December 2014, 19:05

That's the one John.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 6th December 2014, 21:26

It looks like a winner....Wink
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 6th December 2014, 22:02

I'm hoping to take on the dominant Flemington Racecourse(Chapman) in the Australian bred class with it.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 7th December 2014, 00:37

Arrrrrhhh....competition ...I like it.....
neptune
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 7th December 2014, 05:10

Like you and Anna the AQ and I enjoy competition and because of this we have learnt to grow roses as you have, well above the ordinary. Like grand prix car racing leads to development of technology that eventually filters down and leads to the improvement of the family car rose exhibitors develop improved methods of growing roses as they strive for the perfect bloom that eventually become standard practice for the everyday rosarian.
From what I have observed over the years there appears to be a correlation between competitive nature and leadership with the greater percentage of the standout leaders of  rose societies being exhibitors. There also appears a correlation between competitive nature and the type of roses grown. It would appear those with a competitive nature being attracked to the  the modern rose groups. This Is a sweeping statement and would need a lot more research before it could be accepted as a truth.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th December 2014, 06:39

A cat amongst the pigeon statement here,
The roses that the competative exhibitors use have been refined and selected for the bench over time. How long before the established show person use a "unknown or relatively unknown" cultivar/new introduction from this year, lets us "The Golden Child" for this exercise, it is my belief that most and I only use most, not all stick to the rule, which is "use tried and true roses" that have received placings in past shows. These are my thoughts only. They are from my previous showing experience in other fields, animals. In this area, it is the person showing not the animal which is picked, I do hope it is not this way with roses.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose 7th December 2014, 14:32

David I can't say I diagree with you in general terms however both the AQ and I along with the Morphets to be an exception to the premise. 

Take the AQ and I over twenty years ago (it only seems like yesterday) embarked on a strategy to create more of an interest in Australian bred roses. The strategy was to use the show bench to promote Australian bred roses and we did this initially by using a previously little know on the showbench  the floribunda Imp (Dawson). After numerous tries on the show bench some of  the judges realised it was capable of scoring high on the qestablished judging scale. It wasn't without opponents amongst the judges and one high profile judge indicating it would never win a major prize as he didn't like the rose. A for some unknown reason at this stage their seemed to be a general feeling amongst the judges that Australian bred roses couldn't compete with the exotics on the show bench. Eventually our patience paid off and  Imp  won a grand champion ribbon at the Syndney Royal Easter Show the first Australian bred to do so. The break through which I used to pursuers my aim of establishing Australian bred roses. These days Australian bred roses have the respect they deserve and are becoming very popular.
 The Morphetts who are one of the most successful exhibitor combination in Australia are
always introducing  new roses to the show bench that go onto being very popular amongst exhibitors their latest being the miniature Work of Art in the Australian Miniature Championship which they won. 
So it can be seen that some exhibitors take unknown roses and persevere with them on the show-bench.

Last edited by Ausrose on 8th December 2014, 04:12; edited 1 time in total

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th December 2014, 17:10

Thanks Doug and the AQ for being "not normal". It is my belief in all show things a "click", till you get in you are away out of contention. I think there would be a lot more people enter if the Judges did not "pre" judge.
My point comes from dog shows. There was only black and tan Dobermans, then came greys and chocolate, if you had the best B & T you won(known) handler, known handler beat with chocolate dog of grand champion Australia B &T.
Congratulations on your persistance.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2