Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

My Lifes Work

+11
hariet~rose
neptune
silkyfizz
Ozeboy
jordan71
betsyw
Poesie
Balinbear
The Lazy Rosarian
maree
Jac2
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

My Lifes Work - Page 3 Empty Re: My Lifes Work

Post by hariet~rose 21st August 2012, 18:35

Eyre Peninsula - from Mt Wedge to Cleve to Kingoonya... nice place to visit in the autumn or spring but count me out for those SA summers.. Evil or Very Mad
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 21st August 2012, 18:55

Heh Ozroz your lovely Vanilla Skies would make a hit in the bridal market surely.. it looks to be a perfect bouquet type specimen.. does it hold its shape well?? sunny
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21st August 2012, 19:07

Hariet I can see why you wouldn't go back in the summer, most of my family are in Jamestown.
Vanilla Skies holds that form for a long time before opening right up.

LOL at Jac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21st August 2012, 19:32

Ok the last batch W's
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The flowers on this one always remind me of those cocktail umberellas

very strong fruity scent

Very strong myrrh perfume and blooms are huge

This is what I have been doing over the last seven years.

Back to top Go down

Post by maree 21st August 2012, 19:43

Ozroz , i'd say that has been time well spent over the last seven years , in fact i wish i'd spent the last seven years doing something that fulfilling , well done !!!!!
maree
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 21st August 2012, 20:19

Wow .. they are a knock out.. on par with the efforts from the big rose breeders...go get 'em!!

if you are allowed to reveal such details, does yellow changeling have Rosa mutabilis in its pedigree?

What i like about your collection is the variety and the top notch examples of each classic form Clap ...
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21st August 2012, 20:30

Hariet Yellow Changeling is a Freisia X Hot Chocolate. I have some interesting colours which will come to light this spring and a lot of differant crosses now in their infancy.

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose 21st August 2012, 20:35

well fancy that, Hot Chocolate is in the brew, i can see the friesia at a pinch, and how wonderful that those doubles gave a single.. does that happen often?? nice leaves on it too
hariet~rose
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21st August 2012, 20:59

You get a lot of singles in rose breeding , it seem to be a default they seem to go back to. Alot of the time you get single or semidouble pinks.

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 22nd August 2012, 01:33

roseman wrote:John, you might need to ask some funy questions as I know nothing about the bench. Some might be , not released rose, trial rose, registration granted/pending, never been offered for sale.

Dave, I checked up tonight and I am legally able to show them...so all good there.......
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd August 2012, 06:35

John hopefully Warren might pass on some of his best show types to you, so the puplic, even so small percentage wise will become aware of them.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 22nd August 2012, 06:41

I think it's obvious that you need to come over and visit, Warren, when David and Carole do.... Looks like I need to convert a paddock. Might need advice! Wink

Digger
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 22nd August 2012, 11:09

Oh those roses, I'm drooling!
Ozroz, just a thought about getting your roses out there. Have you considered approaching some garden 'gurus' in the media for a feature - Costa from ABC and Jane Edmansan 3AW(Vic radio) come to mind but I'm sure there would be others. Maybe you have already tried that but I thought it would be worth a shot?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 22nd August 2012, 11:39

Media usually needs a 'hook' so grabbing some sort of publicity around Australia Day could give them further impetus: as in, here is someone developing Australian Roses for Australian conditions - true blue Aussie doing it his way! What do you think?
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Poesie 22nd August 2012, 20:44

Incredible! We're not worthy We're not worthy We're not worthy
Poesie
Poesie

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-03-15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE2DCf46-qk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 23rd August 2012, 05:28

Warren, I think silkyfizz has come up with a real good idea. Could be coupled with the plight of all Australian Rose Breeders via the RBA.
Numbers could add weight to the story. You have documented your lifes work so well being a photographer as well as a rose breeder should give the program a good start.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw 23rd August 2012, 07:49

Silkyfizz is right on the money re media coverage. A 'hook' is irresistible to a journo because it 1) gives the story a newsy edge, and 2) it virtually writes the hardest part of any story - the intro Cool .

I would add also that I think the coverage that will generate the most act-upon interest will be via the print media (extending to online versions): pix, pix, pix when it comes to lifestyle home and garden. House and garden-type magazines last a long time, too, and beyond sales/circulation, they pass through many hands to double, treble and quintuple the readership numbers

Ozroz, you are wayyyy ahead of the game here with your portfolio of photographs. I can't emphasise this enough. Editors will love you - no expensive photography fees, and believe me, those fees account for a major chunk of production costs.

Do you have a name in mind for your collection? Yeah, sounds corny, but it's all part of the essential packaging .

Last edited by betsyw on 23rd August 2012, 07:57; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : To spell Ozroz correctly for a change in my posts)
betsyw
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 23rd August 2012, 14:01

Ozrosz, I’m dying to know, which ones you’re going to send to the show! That’ll be the time to contact the media, when one of them comes in first.
Jac2
Jac2

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd August 2012, 17:11

Warren you are not short of helpers/idea's people. For me I know how I would proceed, this is most probabily the wrong way in your eyes/mind.
If I was you and I know I am not, I would be sending these wonderful shots off to all sorts of media.
Please do not be offended, we/I are here to help. So if we place our thoughts here can you dismiss them as they come up.
I could PM/email you my list if that might help.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 23rd August 2012, 18:48

I also know that I’m not you and don’t mind having my ideas dismissed, if they don’t suit, but would most definitely have my own webpage (one that every home-computer can produce now very nicely and easily) with all those beautiful pictures that people can get stuck on, with my full name visible on top of every page and I would ensure to include in the text all key words that people would usually google when they search for a rose; e.g., strong fragrance, heat tolerant, all colours and types, Australian, etc.

Because, Warren, I looked up that Atomik as soon as I saw it and found it on HMF, and from there I googled your name, and guess what? Nothing else came up.

I always get stuck on sites with pictures, especially good quality ones like yours and double especially when they inspire me with different combinations of colours and other flowers together in a nice garden setting. You know, not like a catalogue, but pictures good enough that I want to pinch for my own files and keep as inspiration when I design beds in my own garden.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23rd August 2012, 19:47

Jac I would not have a clue on how to created a web page. If you google my name you will see a field come up warren millington roses, most of my stuff will be there from comment to articles written up for other rose societies.

Dave who do you think would be worthwhile contacting, I have just prepared one for Gardening Australia with an enclosed CD.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 23rd August 2012, 22:33

WOW WOW WOW
Your roses are fantastic,wonderful,fantastic and even more wonderful.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 24th August 2012, 07:43

Warren that is one I had thought of, many many more.
Do you want me to list all my thoughts here, in that way you could dismiss the ones that are unlikely to work, but if i was you I would keep them for use later if needed. Try this for a title.
Rose Breeder, Warren Millington, lots of Promise, with Promise.

Jackie, I like that idea, we/us need to look at that one.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jac2 24th August 2012, 10:22

Warren, I did find a field like you described, but rather than to your own page, it linked me to the pages of some society of another state that I don’t live in and which I would have had to sort trough to find specifics. I was already off track when following Atomic (just not on my agenda at the time and lost the moment).

I used to have a PC with Office, which I know came with a web-design program (shunned by many for its notorious unreliability – some years ago now, so don’t know what the latest deal is there). Now I have a MacBook, which comes with a web-design program with templates of every page outlay under the sun (menu bar on top or side, suited for mainly text or pictures and hundreds of themes and colour schemes, etc.). All you have to do is click on the paces to insert your pictures and your text.
We’re supposed to buy black TVs, because the black frame gives us the clearest pictures and truest colours (hint, hint), but if that’s not you, for heaven’s sake don’t go for a busy colourful background that will distract from your text and interfere with the images (and no fancy fonts!).

David, I like the title.
Jac2
Jac2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 24th August 2012, 10:49

Thank you Jackie, some of it came from your post above. I went to Mr./Mrs Google and he came up with 2 things
1. Free web design
2. AddME.com . I guess you would call it a free listing srevice.
I will look at other sites as time goes by and suggestions from our members.
In the end it is Warrens call, but I do hope he will take our limited help/knowledge, parts of it might get the ball rolling faster.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next