Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

It never rains.. it bloody pours!!!

+7
The Lazy Rosarian
newforold
neptune
OzRose
Carole
RitaG
Admin
11 posters

Go down

It never rains.. it bloody pours!!! Empty It never rains.. it bloody pours!!!

Post by Admin 6th January 2012, 14:08

I have three lawn mowing machines; a ride-on, and push mower, and a brush cutter... and ALL of them have stopped working at the same time.... I have grass up to my chest in some places and it's dying and drying out possing one massive fire hazzard, and I can't cut any of it. Evil or Very Mad I'm covered in petrol, and grime... I have compeltely pulled apart the carbi and the fuel lines in the brush cutter and seem to have fixed this one and it is running like a dream again (touch wood *taps head* it's running better than it was after coming back from the shop a few months back)... now all I gotta do is get the other two pieces of !*$% working again Tantrum The soonest the shop can work on the ride-on is 2 weeks time and I bet it's gonna cost an arm and a leg Sad ... Ok.. lunch has been had... off for round two of backyard mechanics Rolling Eyes and a brush cutting session in the jungle... if I'm not back in 3 hours organise a search party!

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

It never rains.. it bloody pours!!! Empty Re: It never rains.. it bloody pours!!!

Post by RitaG 6th January 2012, 14:19

So sorry to hear this Simon, I understand your frustration fully and I would send you mine post haste, but as you know, its still dead! Your predicament though, is far worse than mine, at least I was able to have a mowing guy come and do my lawns. I think all lazy lawn mowers need to be Smack Harder
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

It never rains.. it bloody pours!!! Empty Re: It never rains.. it bloody pours!!!

Post by Carole 6th January 2012, 15:17

Poor Simon, they say things come in 3's so this should be the end of problems Fingers Crossed
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 6th January 2012, 19:20

In the words of Meat Loaf: two out of three aint bad LOL - I got the mower working (another full carbi strip down) and the brush cutter and got a good sizeable chunk done! Looking forward to having the ride-on fixed... no fun to mow this place with a push mower lol Tomorrow is another day of mowing Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 7th January 2012, 02:34

Aaagghh , share your frustration Simon.
We have the threesome here too but I flatly refuse to even learn to use the ride-on.
As far as I am concerned it was a total waste of several $000 and then more good money thrown after bad. Blades = about $32 ea and hit one rock or stump and that's gone phhhhhht. [we have had several replacement sets in the 5 years we have had it.] Plants that have been mown off by the operators are also starting to creep up into the $00's . I have lost young deciduous trees , rose bushes , native tubestocks , and larger shrubs . My dearly beloved and my sister both use it and I shudder each time I hear it start . Ali's last mowing session took out 4 thryptomene "Payne's Pink" that were about 50cm high ; 1 has re-shot but the other 3 carked it .
I have about 2 acres fenced off around the house that I am planting up
and I am quite happy to mow it with my trusty push mower . I don't even mind other people mowing it with the Hide Hide Masport but I really still prefer to do it myself - I know where everything is planted. The Stihl is there for when I need to get into those rather tricky places. The front of the place has rampant stands of African Lovegrass which my Masport and me just love getting stuck into. Mow and spray , mow and spray ..... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by OzRose on 7th January 2012, 02:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a glaring spelling error.)
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune 7th January 2012, 12:28

Invite me over for coffee when you are finished, so I can admire your handy work and congratulate you for a job well done..... Clap
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by newforold 7th January 2012, 12:59

I don't have to deal with the mowing, thank goodness. My husband handles that. We haven't lost anything to the mower. I get very nervous when he Roundups, however!
Maree

newforold

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th January 2012, 13:52

I need to sell this place and buy some flat land... or buy one of those self-propelled push mowers to help me get up the hills Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th January 2012, 14:12

R/up will fix all your problems lol!
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th January 2012, 19:33

Round up didn't even make the blackberry bat an eyelid... Only way I've been successful in getting rid of blackberry here is to whack it down with the brush cutter, rake it into a pile onto top of itself, and set it on fire... that is without resorting to even stronger chemicals like blackberry killer. The RoundUp has been getting a fair workout around here lately too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb 7th January 2012, 22:56

You know..... there's a lot to be said for goats... heehee.... and geese... my sympathies, I have vivid memories of 2 years where I had to mow the 2 acres of house yard with naught but the brush-cutter... now we have a ride-on, suddenly hubby is the lawn person... I figure if I eventually plant the whole lot out in gardens of one type or another, there will be bugger-all to mow!
lildeb
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 8th January 2012, 08:40

I was using my ride on to "clear" some lantana. Resulting in a puncture which beacuase of some reason or other could not be fixed by putting in a tube (it was a tubeless tyre) like the opposite wheel has.

$90 later (I told the guy I was not racing my mower at Bathurst this year and a normal tyre would be fine but that s how much ride on tyres cost) I had a new tyre. I soon dicovered what happens when you mow your lawn with one new tyre which is inflated to the correct pressure and the opposite the does not quite have the same amount of air in it.

What happens? You end up with a stiped lawn cause by one side of the mower being lower than the other.

I pumped up the other tyres to the correct amount and it worked great until I collected one of the rocks on one of the gaden edges and did a job on the blades resulting once a gain in a striped lawn. I had some new blades which soon fixed the problems.

My younger brother used to say that it took him 5 hours to mow his lawn. 1 to cut the grass 4 to get the mower working! I sometimes think he is correct.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by RitaG 8th January 2012, 10:05

I was lucky enough to work at McCulloch's in Sydney in the 80s and bought their proto type ride on mower for my then quarter acre lawn. It was not a pretty machine, but never missed a beat and when I moved to my previous, much smaller garden some 8 years later, one of the mower dealers exchanged this old, well used ride on with a brand new Rover 4.4HP self propelled worth around $1k! This is the machine that is now broken, but I don't blame it as its done well for 23 years. May just need a service and I am not good with looking after them - they are machines after all and I'm used to them running on the smell of an oily rag! These days machines seem only to make a lot of useless, irritating noise and I have long ago given away my brushcutter, chainsaw & blower. I am going to give my next door neighbour's son a broom for his birthday - he uses that incessent noisy blower every other day because he's bored and I fear that I may be had up for murder soon - glad I gave the Chainsaw guy away Twisted Evil
RitaG
RitaG

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th January 2012, 11:30

When we bought this place 5 years ago it was a jungle (still is in some places). I had thickets of weeds and shrubs 10ft tall all over the property with blackberry tangled throughout it. The machines I have to try and get this place under control, which is still very much a work in progress because once you remove a thicket then the weeds become an issue, are many and you get good at fixing things yourself and I hate working on motors.

I have a 5.5HP Garden Master chipper to try and recycle the endless supply of woody weeds and shrubs here that I pull out... works great but I still have piles and piles of branches every year in the back paddock that become bonfires in the winter.

I have a Kubota tractor to keep the driveway graded (my job for today now that it has rained over night). My driveway is very long and quite steep. It is gravel. Whenever my next door neighbour turns on his big irrigators, or it rains, we end up with a river flowing down the driveway and it turns it into the channels of Vienna. I've just taught my daughter to drive the tractor so that I can deligate this job out to her, which she quite enjoys Smile

I have a good Husqvarna chainsaw that gets flogged on the branches and trees that fall down here every year in this wind tunnel we live in. I have two full trees that need cutting up now but I just don't have the time for it at the moment. It takes a really long time to cut up and move two 40m high gums with trunks over a metre in diamtre.

The push mower needs to be replaced by something like the 4.4HP Rover, because mine is too 'suburban' for the job it has to cope with here.

The brushcutter is great. It's a newish (5 years old) Honda 4-stroke and with the blade on it does the bulk of the clearing work around here.

I bought the 12.5HP Victa ride-on mower with the view to making my life easier but it doesn't seem to be able to cope with the slope of our land so I end up not being able to use it in very many places as it is... It will be good to get it fixed, however, as it is great for doing the edges of the driveway and I'm going to see if the guys at the shop can suggest tweaks to make it more able to cope with climbing slopes, which it has to do head on as I'd probably tip if I went around perpendicular to the slope.... Maybe traction spikes on the wheels Rolling Eyes

The blower... well I don't use it any more.... what's the point using a blower to get rid of debris when the Roaring 40s puts it right back there in an instant anyway!

I reckon I'm still about 20 years away from getting this place even close to under control.

Flat land and a self-proplelled push mower would be heaven!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 8th January 2012, 11:37

Simon, the modern mowers and brush cutters, even my 2 stroke Victa usually have plastic carby's. All the rubbers are greatly effected by the new 10% ethanol fuels. Every two years I buy a carby kit, new air cleaner cartridge and a new spark plug which usually results in trouble free mowing for the next two years. My Greenfield 17hp ride on has very few rubbers except the drive and cutter belts which seem to last two years. Would suggest changing to 95 fuel instead of using the 10% ethanol.

Rita, how are your secateurs working? Better bring them with you when you come up for the DA's.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb 8th January 2012, 13:16

When it comes to weeds and soil etc I love Pat Coleby's Natural Farming books, they have never steered me wrong yet. I loathe sprays, poisons etc and try as hard as I can to work it all naturally, although I have been sorely tempted to resort to sprays for the wretched lantana. So far, cutting it back by hand with a bush knife/machete, piling it up and burning it, then going back and pulling by hand or with the ute, seems to work best, takes years though, and as soon as you begin to feel complacent, up she comes again... We have a couple of acres of it 15ft tall down near the creek at the back.. what's worse, the foxes and feral dogs use it as a throughway to get close to our ducks and goats... Grrrrr...
lildeb
lildeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 8th January 2012, 13:34

Sounds like you need to add a 0.22 or two to your list of gardening machines, Deb Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 8th January 2012, 16:58

Yeh! one that gets along at 3500ft sec or quicker.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb 9th January 2012, 09:36

Oh so true.... I did my gun safety course and all the assorted stuff, then it turned out that to get an occupiers gun licence we are half an acre under the required land size... so I have to sweet talk my neighbour into signing a paper saying I can shoot on his land.... either that or go recreational but then I have to spend more time at the gun club, and I have better things to do with my time... after milking goats and hunting for plants...
Stockwhip still works a treat- they seem to think it's a gunshot..and you just can't beat the ole sparkywire fence... somebody tried to get to the goats 2 nights ago.... yelps and shrieks were very satisfying but a hell of a wake-up!
lildeb
lildeb

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 25th January 2012, 10:44

Simon, you have so much work to do as well as being a school teacher.
Your daughter sounds a very helpful girl.
My ride on completely blew up, the conrad did damage in the motor. A shame as it had been cutting real well after the bottom part was repaired. So I have just the old push mower which is cutting real well now all the blades are now there. The garden is such a mess with paspalim, but least I haven't had to water these growing seasons at all. I will have another go at trying to mow it all once the rain has gone away and it has dried out a bit, now I have more petrol.
It was good reading all your posts. Lildeb, did you mean someone with a dog tried to get your goat, or that a dog tried to get it ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down