Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Fish keeping

+3
lildeb
Admin
AutumnDamask
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fish keeping - Page 2 Empty Re: Fish keeping

Post by Ozeboy 19th March 2012, 08:36

Due to mosquito wrigglers becoming a problem have invested in 10 Rosy Barbs. These are great trouble free little fish requiring no heat and will hibernate in the winter and survive down to about -4c. I used to breed them in one of my past lives selecting breeding males with the most amount of red.
In summer they are very active and swim in schools which is a trait of all barbs. They are fed live wrigglers and bait prawns dried and reduced to fine flakes with vitamins and minerals added.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 19th March 2012, 09:14

I used to keep barbs and I used a heater as I had other types as well. It's interesting to know that they don't require one. I may have to stop reading this otherwise I will be bringing my tank out of storage. It is addictive!
Happy roses
Happy roses

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 19th March 2012, 10:24

My neighbour has a huge pond outside and has offered an endless supply of goldfish, just another pet to look after and clean, no thanks Suspect
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 19th March 2012, 11:04

Happy Roses, they are the only one of the barb family that don't need heating so they fall into the no care required catagory. Another little cold water fish very worthwhile are Mountain Clouds.
Sword Tails and Platey's will survive very cool water also but not as easy care as the others.

The Estate, forget the goldfish and Koi as these do require a lot of care in smaller glass tanks. Only way to keep these is large outside ponds with running water through a very big filter. I did breed Black Moors, Commets, Calicos, Oranda's in 12'x6'x2'6" above ground lined brick ponds years ago. These were fan and veiltail types except for the commets. My favourites were the Telescopic Veiltail Calicos which I had really good. High backed deep bodied with veiltails twice the length of their body. When I purchased this property in 1980 my intention was to install an acre of the ponds and breed fancy goldfish but due to pestercide spray drift had to give the idea away. That's all changed so hope the Rosey Barbs survive, could be my future back into fancy goldfish.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 19th March 2012, 12:17

Yes there are some beauties out there Smile Maybe when I am a bit older and crankier and no fur friends left lol
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 19th March 2012, 22:40

I had to look up Mountain Clouds as I had never heard of them. I used to keep my large volume of just about every tropical fish book handy once apon a time, now I would have to relearn again, which were compatible with what etc.
I did like barbs, but not the tigers so much.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 20th March 2012, 09:14

Happy Roses, most Barbs can be fin nippers so I gave away keeping the slow moveing fish like Angels etc. Suppose I like fast moving fish that swim in schools. Pleased I introduced you to Mountain Clouds.
These varieties are all egg layers and easy to breed in outside ponds.
Just requires 10 or a dozen floating Water Hyath (Spelling) floating around to catch the spawn and then to shelter the young fry from being eaten. Two or 3 times per week place a fine mesh net below the
floating WH weed, lift up and scoop out the fry for releasing in another tank.
Better get back to roses or we could upset the pureists.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 20th March 2012, 09:24

Thanks Ozeboy, perhaps we could start a fishlovers forum hehe.
In a large tank the Angels weren't bothered to much, but the idea of an outside pond sounds intriguing. Something to ponder.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 20th March 2012, 09:35

Happy, you are in the ideal climate for breeding fish in outdoor ponds.
Since Silicone became available it's no trouble to have a glass panel or two in the sides. My ponds for breeding the barbs were smaller than the goldfish being 6'x4'x2'. Ponds have to be at least 2' deep as they heat up too much in summer if shallower.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 20th March 2012, 11:09

Hmmm I don't know so much as breeding but it would be nice to keep a few fish in a pond. Do goldfish tend to be more messy and breed like crazy? Would Rosy barbs be better to try to see how it goes? And is there other fish that can be kept with them in a pond.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 20th March 2012, 20:05

Goldfish are masters at disturbing plants and generally making a mess because they are larger. I didn't put plants in the goldfish ponds except for hyacinth and fed them in large earthern ware saucers with a layer of cooked baby peas. The dried Prawn flakes were fed vary sparingly so not to contaminate the water.

Rosy Barbs grow to about 4" in tanks with running water but in the wild can grow to around 6". I used to keep them in the 6'x4' ponds and didn't have any trouble with fouling the water. I would try the RB's and to add interest breed for most red colour in the maled. When the females are going to spawn and the males are driving them they are at their most colourful. Both RB's and Goldfish spawn in spring when the water has warmed. They are great little fish swimming very actively in schools.
Hope this helps you make a decision.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 20th March 2012, 22:01

Thanks that is very helpful, though it would be awhile before I would begin such a project it gives something for me to think about.
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 21st March 2012, 08:19

A pond is on The List for outside projects... hehehe Rosy Barbs and White Clouds are possibly the fish of choice.

And while we're on ponds.... a reminder that Water Hyacynth is a declared Noxious Weed... Wink (Illegal to sell, trade, have etc?)

This is one of my tanks I have just started up.... no fish yet as it is still cycling.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'm planning some Otos, Pygmy Cory and maybe some Ember Tetra
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb 21st March 2012, 18:20

OH Awesome aquascaping! I love it! Roses

I put my long finned rosies in a big terracotta water pot so any floods wouldn't harm them, and they bred beautifully, eating lots of mozzie larvae, and leaping for treats In a Flap
Sadly this "record flood" roared right over the four ft tall pot, and swept them all away, along with the lotus..

I keep any hyacinth "caged", didn't buy/trade etc, it washed down in a flood a couple of years ago. I still had pigs then, and just turned them loose in that spot.... om nom nom... no more water hyacinth. Yes I checked that it's not toxic first.. Smile

I carted my little betta fish out when we evacuated, and today Shadow is tending his first few hatchlings, so I guess I didn't upset them too much!
lildeb
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 21st March 2012, 21:49

hi all, nice to see a few Rosey Barbs being kept, long or normal fin.
I've never had long fin types, they are a more recent addittion. Don't know if they were bred in captivety or caught in the wild. Perhaps someone knows the full story.

Just after aquiring these fish I inquired about Water Hyacinth at a water lilly place and was read the riot act about how bad it was and illegal as you have pointed out. Had to wait for the recent floods to get nearly 100 that ended up caught in an estery. The locals dredged
and placed a big boom across the river, pulled it to shore and stacked up tons of it to dry and die. It may be a problem but wonderful for spawning fish in and protecting fry.

AD your indoor pond looks great ut a lot more work than the outside ponds.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd March 2012, 08:16

my fish
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jordan71
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses 22nd March 2012, 13:50

Might have to change my name to Happy rosey barbs hehe.
Love the tank Autumn, great set up and the cichlids look amazing, Jordan, how big are they?
Happy roses
Happy roses

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd March 2012, 13:59

Happy roses wrote:Might have to change my name to Happy rosey barbs hehe.
Love the tank Autumn, great set up and the cichlids look amazing, Jordan, how big are they?

that pic was taken a year ago, they are now pretty large , male about 25 cm . females around 15cm
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 22nd March 2012, 14:10

That's 10" and 6", they are doing very well, almost big enough for the fry pan. I thought they needed a larger tank to get that big. Biggest ones I have seen were about 5" long.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 22nd March 2012, 14:30

Ozeboy wrote:That's 10" and 6", they are doing very well, almost big enough for the fry pan. I thought they needed a larger tank to get that big. Biggest ones I have seen were about 5" long.

lol fry pan . hmmmmmm

they are in a 6x2x2 foot tank
jordan71
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by lildeb 23rd March 2012, 22:03

I'm with you Ozeboy, might be naughty weed but sooo good for baby fishies! Like I said, easy to keep caged and well away from floods... see they're good for something! My baby bettas love to hide in the floating roots, and pounce out at daphnia and tiny water bugs... love
lildeb
lildeb

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2011-06-07

http://tylersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 24th March 2012, 20:57

lildeb, I have been cleaning and lice powdering my chooks, getting ready for the show season. I do this every year and end up going nowhere though it does impact on the rose projects. Sorry, back to fish.
Last week I placed some Hydroponic Solution in the water containing the Water Hyacinth and just in 7 days they have really started to grow and have gone a darker shade of green. One can imagine what a problem it can be when growing in water that gets fertiliser through farm water run off. Anyway mine are well under control and I will keep it that way.
Last night I prepared some more prawn flakes by drying about 8 prawns.
Think I may have done a post on the method I use but if anyone is interested can go over it in detail.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2