Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Glyphosphate Damage

+7
Carole
OzRose
Henry Kuska
Dave
The Lazy Rosarian
Balinbear
Admin
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glyphosphate Damage  Empty Glyphosphate Damage

Post by Admin 28th November 2011, 21:57

This is typical Glyphosphate damage on roses. This was taken at work where the weeding tool of choice is RoundUp.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Glyphosphate Damage  Empty Re: Glyphosphate Damage

Post by Balinbear 28th November 2011, 22:20

Geez what did they do. Pour an undiluted mix on the plant.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1459
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 28th November 2011, 22:47

Looks like it doesn't it... truth is, however, you don't need an awful lot to get a result like this.

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 29th November 2011, 05:50

It does look like Glyphosphate damage. It indicates it was from last year or even previous year. The other possible herbicides are the one's that are referred to as hormonal, such as MCPA.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 29th November 2011, 06:57

A couple of small bushes got a whiff at work a year or two ago - and they recovered and look OK now. That one is doomed.

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Kuska 11th March 2012, 15:59

For a discussion of roundup damage to roses, see:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It can leave the roots of a sprayed weed, pass through the soil and be picked up by the roots of a nearby rose.

AND

Henry Kuska

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-12-09

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kuska/

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose 11th March 2012, 16:36

About 5 years ago there was an article in our local paper about the sick roses in the memorial rose garden at the local Anglican church and the vicar wanted someone to have a look and tell him what was wrong .
I dropped by when I was in town and they were some of the sickest roses I had ever seen . It was in the spring from memory and all the new foliage looked like Simon's white flowercarpet rose
It was pretty obvious that it was herbicide damage . When Rev. Mabey came out for a chat, he seemed to think that during the annual pruning session , someone had used one of those weed and feed spray packs on the bed . Now I'm not sure what chemical is the herbicide there but it sure didn't do the roses a lot of good.
I think in the end they had to bin all the bushes and this caused a lot of heartbreak because a lot of them had been planted as memorials and some of the bushes were very old varieties . The other thing that caused a lot of angst was the soil from the rose bed had to be removed as well and as it contained a lot of different people's ashes , this caused a lot of sadness too. I don't think this was removed entirely from the church grounds but rather taken right away from the rose gardens.

The gardens have since been replanted and I bet the weed and feederis a lot more careful these days.

I haven't had trouble using round-up around my roses when I do the spraying but I have had damage when other people have sprayed.

I spoke to some orchardist friends of mine and asked them about their apple trees and glyphosate use [apples and roses being related].
They said they had not ever had any problems as most of their spraying was done at night after the wind had dropped but they had heard of other people damaging trees if they sprayed around them during the day time when temperatures were high .
OzRose
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 11th March 2012, 16:54

That is so very sad.
When we spray we cover every plant with a large pot, bucket or a huge sheet of thick plastic secured to the ground. Depends on the size of the plant. Yes we do have to pull any weeds close to the plant but the plants are safe. We have had no problems.
Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate 11th March 2012, 19:07

any weed killer is my last resort. I bought a bottle of Glyhposphate when my neice was working on line to sell for an Oz. Co. 10 years plus ago, the bottle is still nearly full however stubborn weeds get the ZAP these days as I cant and dont have the strength to get some of the HUGE tap roots out Chainsaw guy
The Estate
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 11th March 2012, 19:23

I use Glyhposphate in our gardens and have never bothered covering anything and have never had any problems.

Sorry I lie. Years ago we had some Azaleas growing up the back and the grass around them got out of control and I used roundup for the first time ever to kill the grass. I sprayed the whole lot, Azaleas and all, and one of the small ones died (it was sick anyway and may well have died anyway) but the rest were not affected.

I don't go out of my way to spray plants but the roses certainly don't show any affects of overspray or spray drift. I think you just have to have low pressure and keep the gun down near the ground so there is limited drift.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 11th March 2012, 19:28

Now this could be a point Garry, we only use a little spray thingamajig. Not a huge sprayer. We have never lost anything. But to be on the safe side we do cover things against drift.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 11th March 2012, 20:48

I have a 15 litre backpack simply beacuse having a large garden makes using a 5 litre spray hard work.

The nozzel is usually only a centremetre or so off the weed when I spray it. Quite often I will pull a weed out instead of spraying it if it is close to a plant.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 12th March 2012, 12:55

David uses one of those Gary'
I think on Johnsons Grass he uses a small paintbrush and paints the leaves.
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 12th March 2012, 13:25

We removed a couple of Crepe Mytles from our garden and I brush undiluted roundup on the shoots that come up from the remaining roots.

I think I am slowly killing them off but there is a lot of them.

I think that if you have small young plants then maybe covering them up is a good idea.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 12th March 2012, 13:41

When David cuts down a tree or anything else we dont wasnt eg blackberries. As he cuts I paint. To get a good kill it has to be done in a matter of seconds. Voodoo
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 12th March 2012, 23:40

Carole
I send the crepe mytle down. No amount of spraying (or brushing) will kill the bits.
Gary
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 13th March 2012, 05:48

Gary, what is he active strenght of your R/up ?.eg, 180, 240, 360, 450, 600, 750. Another way that might work for you Gary is try cutting and painting a day after rain or when the plant is starting to leaf/flower up so the cambium layer is active. The R/up will be taken in quicker, it works on our grape vines that way.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear 13th March 2012, 13:32

David

I think it is the 360 going from memory but the way my brain has been lately it could be anything.

I am getting through it. One tree has gone completely (ie no shoots anymore touch wood) and the other I kill bits off but others will appear somewhere else.

The shoots are getting further from where the tree was which generally indicates that I am winning.

It's just taking a while that it seems like forever.
Balinbear
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole 13th March 2012, 13:36

I saw on telly that there is a new one but I cant remember what it is called scratch
Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd February 2013, 12:56

Re: The List
by Ozeboy Today at 12:42

Glysophate is deadly on roses. Do not plant in soil previously sprayed and allow a 6 months period from spraying to planting. Do not dig any plant material killed by "Roundup" into the planting area. Do not spray the edges of weedmat as it will wash onto the bottom of pots with roots at the bottom.

If you can't control yourself using Roundup near roses then apply with a long handle paint roller. A better option is to use "Fusilade" a selected narrow leaf herbicide. Understand that killing the narrow leaf weeds will result in a steady growth of broad leaf weeds due to no competition from narrow leaf weeds.

My property was used to grow stone fruit for over 50 years. I pulled out all the trees 30 years ago and stopped spraying all herbacides and pestercides. Now I don't spray anything and weed the old fashioned way (By hand) and notice the frogs are making a come back during wet periods.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd February 2013, 12:57

Bruce I know we are going to disagree about R/up/Glysophate here but what the heck
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 23rd February 2013, 13:21

David, we have disagreed before and I'm sure it won't be the last time.
It's raining like hell here so can't do anything out in the rose paddock.
Good time to let you know I put 3 blooms of each 'Brisbane Blush', 'Oklahoma' , 'Brigadoon' and 'Camp David into seperate vases.
Everyone voted for CD on appearence but on fragrance, 'Oklahoma' won first prize and 'Brigadoon second.
I actually could detect slight fragrance on CD, a first for me, it's a very good all round rose. Might even take some pix and add to a post or two if the rain keeps up.

Go well old mate.

Bruce

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 23rd February 2013, 17:25

Glyphosate becomes inert in soil. Glyphosate works better at at pH of 4.9 to 5.5. Glyphosate is reduced with the amount of soil particles, mostly clay. Soil, material in water reduces the effectiveness of Glyphosate.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 23rd February 2013, 18:46

Like all things there will be conditions/provisos etc. Number one being what strength the mix is!
The glyphosate damage I've seen was probably a result of a "generous concentration" plus water that was around 5-6pH. The roses were NOT happy and those that had sustained stress after that have since died. The ones with less stress (more protected from weather, had mulch etc) have bounced back. In fact, I was told they've TRIED to kill one particular bush (a rugosa or species I suspect) and it won't die. Just sends up more suckers and looks healthy. LOL
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz 23rd February 2013, 20:36

Hah, sounds just like my Banksia, it just will not succumb, despite neat concentrated Roundup applied to every cane it shoots up. Its a battle of wills now.
silkyfizz
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum