Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

A weed seedling

5 posters

Go down

A weed seedling Empty A weed seedling

Post by AutumnDamask 28th October 2011, 21:34

I know there are 50million pink roses out there and 500million seedlings get ditched every year but this came up by itself. Hopefully I can arrange something better one day. Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
(we won't talk about it's spots - I'm too soft. Embarassed )
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

A weed seedling Empty Re: A weed seedling

Post by Admin 28th October 2011, 21:37

This is how it starts... soon you'll be looking at every rose and thinking... hmmmmm... I wonder how that would look put with this.... and before long... POW... you're hooked. Good thing you are on acres... you're going to need it to test all your seedlings Wink

You will be even more hooked given that your first one such a lovely rose!

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 28th October 2011, 21:44

Hehe Thanks. I think the mother was that one we tentatively ID'd as Paris 2000.

I know I am doomed - I've been wandering around the garden contemplating "arranging marriages" for over a month!
(You'd never know I'd been working with stud animals for nearly 20 years... Imagine that... LOL )

And with the mutliflora that David has sent me I may learn how to bud as well. (There's that Vivienne Maire that needs sharing.... Wink )
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow 28th October 2011, 23:55

Thats a lovely little bloom ! Its a keeper, see how it grows.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 7th November 2011, 12:06

All the other seedlings were single or semi-single.
Except this one. I wonder who the pollen parent was... Hmmmm
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th November 2011, 13:14

That one is very beautiful! Looks nice and fertile too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 7th November 2011, 13:28

Wendy, they say certain roses are KEEPERS, that white one is, do not let it out of your sight or someone might pinch it(like me) Thumbsup Hmmmm
In all honesty, what roses are around it scratch
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 7th November 2011, 14:44

David, after I saw your Wish List I thought I had better take you seriously in your quest for breeding nice roses. I detect the Steptoe gene has surfaced again.

I am always trying to keep my goal firmly in mind and not being led off the track by other nice seedlings. Rose breeding will drive you mad like talking to oneself, "I have my goal and can't be led astray by all these nice seedlings"

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th November 2011, 14:56

Being led astray is one of the great things about this hobby, Bruce. It uncovers things and looks that one might have never thought about and can inspire you to try avenues you had not previously thought of. You need to give in to your creativity Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 7th November 2011, 16:43

roseman wrote:In all honesty, what roses are around it scratch
LOL
Well, presuming that the seed parent was Paris 2000 like the others, then the other bushes near it could be..... Duet, Woburn Abbey, Souvenir de la Malmaison, an unknown, Bonica. How far away should I go? The garden isn't THAT huge. I have very busy bees...
lol!
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th November 2011, 17:24

It is most like to be a selfing... Paul Barden speaks of a conversation he had with Mr Moore and being told he [Mr Moore] had rarely seen an open pollinated seedling (which is what your one is), that didn't show evidence to not suggest selfing. Given what is immediately behind it ('DelTorche', 'Sultane', 'Madame Joseph Perraud', 'Queen Elizabeth', and 'Provence'; see: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ), you could reasonably expect to get anything from just selfings.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 8th November 2011, 06:00

Wendy, I have had 35 hives and know bees wiil travel up to 3 klms for pollen and nectar. I did breed a very gold couloured family of bees and could pick them apart from the bees in the district. Have seen them collecting pollen on a wattle tree 1 klm from the hives. Also noted they collected nectar 1 1/2 klms away.

Simon, pollination this season has gone to plan about 50% of the time.
The best laid plans seem to come undone because of bad weather, social commitmants and not having pollen and buds at the right time. There are the prolific hip producers blooming but suitable pollen hard to find. Some of the HT's being put on Tea's are wonderful for pollen like Brindebella Bouqueot. I have so many pink and white roses have been using stronger coloured ones like Laurent Carle, Roundelay, Argosy, Playboy, Charles Mallerin, Altissimo, Crimson Glory, Chrysler Imperial and Sympathy, also a red Tea ( Name ? ). None of the Lorraine Lee pollen has worked out so far. Rather than waste pollen and seed have quite a few that will be interesting unplanned crosses.
Still have a weakness for strong coloured high centered HT's, hence a few appearing in the breeders. 'Apricot Passion' produced hips like tomatoes the last two years so have used it for seed. Other seed parents are Brindabella Bouqueot, Safrano, Devonensis, First Love, Elizabeth of Glamous, Carefree Beauty, Carefree Wonder and
Superba (Study) . The latter is a really handy rose.
The six 3 year old field grown HT's bought in winter for breeding are useless for blooms, only Montezuma and Red Planet have produced a single bloom. The budded roses activated this July/August have been prolificate bloomers and out performed the bought roses. Just goes to show the smaller younger plants are greatly superior when transplanted.
Have a 3 month old Altissimo now just under 7 feet. Will have to take a few pix.

Have some OP seedlings from Pink Perpetue collected and supplied by Deb Kelly. These are so interesting because they vary from a prolific bloomer struggling to grow over the rim of a 8" pot to a few could be house eaters with metre long canes.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 8th November 2011, 06:15

The bees adore the 'Wedding Day' that is outside my bedroom window. They have been busy on it since before dawn.
It's made me realise why my blooms looked a little different to pictures I had seen - the bees are stripping ALL the pollen off within a day! She set so many hips last year I wouldn't mind betting this year is amazing, given the mass of blooms.
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down