Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Help with a ?diseased Mr Lincoln standard rose

+3
Admin
neptune
pompy
7 posters

Go down

Help with a ?diseased Mr Lincoln standard rose Empty Help with a ?diseased Mr Lincoln standard rose

Post by pompy 2nd September 2011, 18:33

Hi there,
I was hoping that you would be able to help me.
We planted 10 Mr Lincoln standard roses almost 2 years ago now.
I pruned the roses about 5 weeks ago.
All of them are looking nice and healthy except for 1.
I have attached 2 photos to show you what it looks like. (The 3rd photo is a picture of an adjacent rose to show you what the rest of them look like.)
There has been no growth at all on this unhealthy looking rose since pruning. There are only these unsual small greenish growths and these haven't changed at all since we pruned it.
I took a cutting to our local nursery who wasnt completely sure what it was and suggested I feed them with Dynamic Lifter and Trace Elements which I did. There has been no change since this feed either.
To me, it looks diseased. I even sprayed it with Yates Rose Gun Advanced but nothing has changed.
At a loose end I even googled rose diseases and came up with something called Rose Spring Dwarf disease - do you think this is a possibility? (I am no expert.)
Any other suggestion on how I should treat this?
Would we be best to just rip it out and start again?
Hope to hear from you soon!
Scott

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

pompy

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-09-02

Back to top Go down

Help with a ?diseased Mr Lincoln standard rose Empty Re: Help with a ?diseased Mr Lincoln standard rose

Post by neptune 2nd September 2011, 19:17

Is it me that can't see the pictures..?
neptune
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Help with a ?diseased Mr Lincoln standard rose Empty Re: Help with a ?diseased Mr Lincoln standard rose

Post by Admin 2nd September 2011, 20:25

I'm working on it Wink

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2nd September 2011, 20:42

Got it... question time...

Did it have normal growth last year?
Have you ever noticed any yellow line-like patterns on the leaves?
Have you (or anyone else) been using roundup nearby recently?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 3rd September 2011, 08:48

Hi,
that was my thought too - Zero or Roundup. My brother (who is a JP) had a whole row of standard Icebergs along the front of his property sprayed with it by what we can only assume was a disgruntled client.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask 3rd September 2011, 09:13

Is there any chance of recovery if it has been dosed with RoundUp??
AutumnDamask
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 3rd September 2011, 09:36

Scott, can you recall using R/up near it or broadleaf weed spray on the grass. Drift can cause the problem. It will survive, but will have deformed leaves for a year or 2, IMO
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd September 2011, 11:50

I would agree with you there Dave, looks like Round-up. I have this rose at home with onion weed growing around the base, being really carefull , I zapped it with R/U, all the leaves on one side were deformed. I really think it was taken up by the roots on that side as I was sure there was drift contamination, within 1 month normal growth appeared. It was on a rose called Agena which is hard to replace and I was absolutly pooing my self of the thought of loosing it. Read an article on a site of the use of hay being used for mulch, it had been sprayed with broadleaf herbicide during its growth and the residual chemical caused some problems with their roses, you just dont know what is around.

Back to top Go down

Post by pompy 3rd September 2011, 18:46

Hi there, thank you for your replies. And thank you Simon for sorting out the photos.

Simon, it did have normal growth last year. No, I didnt notice any yellow lines on the leaves previously.

Yes, someone may have used a glyphosate spray on some weeds a couple of months ago in the garden beds. When you say drift, do you mean 'has the spray blown across onto the leaves?' If so, I would say no as theses roses are 4 foot high. Can the glyphosate seep down and get taken up by the roots?

I have actually just noticed today, one of the other standard roses leaves looks a lot smaller and deformed just on one side of it.
I have attached 2 photos to show you this standard rose.

EDIT: you posted the same image twice.
If you think it is poison from the glyphosate, do you believe they will recover?? Or is it best to rip them out? What should I do from here?

Thank you so much for your replies! It is much appreciated.

pompy

Back to top Go down

Post by pompy 3rd September 2011, 18:48

The new photos dont seem to have worked either Embarassed

pompy

Back to top Go down

Post by pompy 3rd September 2011, 19:00

Here they are, sorry Im a beginner.

Scott

pompy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 3rd September 2011, 19:07

Rose are very susceptible to glyphosphate herbicides. Small amounts can show signs such as this and if there are roots close to the surface then it can be taken up through the roots too. Direct application of glyphosphate mixed at woody weed concentrations will generally kill them, however, drift blown onto them as a mist will generally cause malformed leaves like you are seeing now. I live on acres surrounded by farms and have had drift from my neighbour cause similar problems on my double white banksia rose... drift can travel a very long way and 4ft is not a big distance to cover if there are swirling winds around at the time of spraying. It can be taken up by the stem of the standard too. It's taken a year to recover halfway so far.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th September 2011, 06:13

Scott, from what you said, it , the garden area "could" have been sprayed with a "herbicide". The mist we are referring to can not be seen. Spraying on what we call a calm day can be faital. Scott can you ID some of the weeds you were trying to kill, if you can we may be able to find a better chemical. Most of the "hormone" type chemicals will give deformities like the problem you have.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by pompy 4th September 2011, 10:30

Hi Roseman,
I was just spraying broadleaf weeds in the garden beds. I did this directly on the weed so didnt think there would be any drift at all, especially not 4 feet high. I presume it must have penetrated the soil and been absorbed by the roots Embarassed . I have sprayed around other plants in our front garden - Viburnum, Nandina Nana, and Buxus Japonica with no ill effects at all.
So, getting back to my original question, what do you think I should do from here? Replace the 2 affected roses? Replace the 1 that is majorly affected (and hope the other one will recover)? Or do you think both will recover? If so, in what normal timeframe? Or any other suggestions? Many many many thanks for all your answers so far.

Last edited by pompy on 8th September 2011, 16:43; edited 1 time in total

pompy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 4th September 2011, 10:37

It will recover, if you have the patience, possible 2 years, was it R/up ?. root Contact I doubt IMO. You can get percific broadleaf weed killers.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by pompy 8th September 2011, 16:47

Roseman - it wasn't 'Roundup' but a generic brand of Glyphosate.

I really dont want to wait 2 years for it to recover as its in a row of 10 standard roses along the front fence and look terrible.

Does anyone know where I can buy reasonably well established Mr Lincoln Standard Roses 4foot high in Adelaide?

pompy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian 8th September 2011, 17:18

Scott, as you need it now. I would find a large pot and remove it to it. As there are not many SA's on the forum, I reckon the 'fingers ' will have to do the walking by phone, sorry best I can think of at present.
The Lazy Rosarian
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th September 2011, 17:41

Scott give Ross roses a tingle they are not that far from you , I would say they would have potted up standards there.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristieB 10th September 2011, 22:09

Without indulging my not-so-secret organic sympathies too much alien (and without meaning to offend anyone), this is a good example of how glyphosate isn't nearly as safe as many people believe. Thank you for sharing the photos.

ChristieB

Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B 11th September 2011, 07:56

Hi ChristieB,
it can affect roses through their roots too. You need to be careful if you spray weeds in the rosegarden.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down