Rose Talk Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Watch This Space, more info coming.
by The Lazy Rosarian 21st September 2018, 06:25

» A Rose by any other name ...
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2018, 19:26

» Looking for "St Brigid's Rose"
by The Lazy Rosarian 11th August 2018, 06:50

» And for David while he is away.
by neptune 19th July 2018, 23:57

» Wanting to talk with old roserian friends again, and new roserians friends too !
by rosemeadowtasmania 14th July 2018, 22:54

» Premature Petal dropping- Perth
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 15:27

» Vale: Meryl Constance
by rosemeadowtasmania 5th July 2018, 13:55

» Newbie to roses and forums for that matter!
by Steph 28th June 2018, 09:39

Simon will want these

2 posters

Go down

Simon will want these Empty Simon will want these

Post by Guest 16th March 2011, 19:02

Simon these are some thing you will want, have a look at the pic then scroll down

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pure Rosa Gigantea seed inside, these came off a plant 3m high X 7m wide, went to a rose garden today 27km out of town , boy you should see what they have there, Noisettes, Teas , chinas , early HT pre 1900's , damasks ,Bourbons rugosas and the list goes on, talk about being paradise Happy Dance

Send me your adress by Pm and I will get the seed out and send them off to you

cheers warren

Back to top Go down

Simon will want these Empty Re: Simon will want these

Post by Admin 16th March 2011, 20:47

Thanks Warren. I'd love at least some of them. I think I'll do embryo extractions on these as I have a flat of gigantea seeds outside from last year that still haven't germinated... another year and I might have some seedlings... If I go the extraction method it could happen sooner. Thumbsup

Admin

Number of posts : 3750
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 17th March 2011, 07:03

My Gigantea haven't germinated yet. They have had 2 lots of Bromalain treatment, one tomato pulp for 10 days, moisture raised and lowered, placed out on the window sill for 4 lots of germination trial and still no germination. The only thing not used is red light in the fridge and sand blasting to remove the very hard outer cover.

Best of luck with the embryo extraction, please keep us informed for this could be the answer.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th March 2011, 07:31

Ozeboy, I dont think Bromalain will work it is a protien enzyme, what you need it something that will attack cellulose, what you could do, and is what I am going to test out is sulphuric acid. We used this acid in Agriculture when doing total nitrogen analysis in soils as it removes all organic material from the sample, mind you what we used was concentrated.

If you have an old car battery lying around, the 25 - 30% concentration of acid in the battery should be enough, but keep an eye on it and be CAREFULL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy 17th March 2011, 19:28

Warren I can't replace the seed with any local Gigantea seeds as these are very special.

Have used sulphuric acid for acidifying poultry drinking water to make a hostile environment in their intestines for bad bugs. So you can see I am not apposed to using it but might have to trial 5 seeds. I'd like get an accurate percentage break down. I have some 32% so what dilution would you suggest.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1673
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17th March 2011, 20:21

Normally 50% solution is used over time periods of 30, 60 ,90 Seconds, so with your 32% solution you could go 60, 90 and 120 seconds. The articles I read years ago on this topic said it breaks dormancy very efficiently. Sounds pretty harsh , but some times you have to do this or wait a long time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down